PDA

View Full Version : Vista not so bad..... ?

Snowy
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM
So, we bought our daughter a new PC for Christmas...
Windows Vista with the Windows 7 free upgrade, 8 GB of RAM, monitor, etc.... sweet PC.

She's been complaining of her Vista laptop for a year now. It's got 2 MEGs of RAM... still a decent machine.

So, I backup her files, format the thing today, do all the Windows updates, set it all up for myself and it's not a bad machine, really... I can't figure out what all the complaints are about....

coinnut
12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
It's not about the lap top, kids just like to complain lol Really, I would take the old lap top in a heart beat :yes: I hate to tell you what I'm using lol An original Microsoft...... model:cheesysmile:ino - saur rofl:rolleyes:

Snowy
12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
It's not about the lap top, kids just like to complain lol Really, I would take the old lap top in a heart beat :yes: I hate to tell you what I'm using lol An original Microsoft...... model:cheesysmile:ino - saur rofl:rolleyes:

I've got a Windows XP laptop that's not so bad either. I'm considering selling it, or I might set it up as a server.
Not sure if I wanna keep using the XP or switch to this Vista, but this Vista isn't so bad.

Epi-hunter
12-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Vista was a nightmare for me. I was all prepared to like it, but it shut down on me repeatedly, blue screen of death over and over, horrible experience. Switched to 7.0 and it was smooth after that.

Apparently, from what I have heard, some people never have problems, and others have major headaches.

randy
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
One of the major complaints I heard about Vista was a constant barrage of annoying popups from apps and from the system. I can't stand that sort of thing, so I avoided it. If that doesn't bother you, or isn't happening, great.

I went from XP, which I like, to Windows 7, which I tolerate. My primary work computer is still XP, which I hope to never have to upgrade (good luck on that one). Windows 7 still has way more popups getting in my face than I would like, but it is better than Vista from what I hear.

(I'd really like to get a Mac, but I have an essential piece of software that is native to Windows).

Snowy
12-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I don't get a lot of popups but will get a window asking for permission to continue when I do updates.
Kind of a security thing.

The only thing I'm having a problem with is a photo editing program (Paint Shop Pro 8) built for Windows XP.
There are no Vista drivers for it so it will occassionally shut down.

I wonder if the 7 upgrade CD will work for this computer as well, or if it will be tied to the serial of the desktop.
Windows 7 is ok, but there are a minimal amount of drivers for programs still.

Jason in Enid
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Biggest problem with Vista was that nothing worked with it. Not to mention that it didn't have any of the bugs worked out. Windows 7 is the fixed version of Vista.

hoser
12-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't get a lot of popups but will get a window asking for permission to continue when I do updates.
Kind of a security thing.

I get those same things and they can be annoying at times but so far Vista has not been too bad to deal with. It is very slow to load at startup for some reason. :bangahead01:

Snowy
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, the thing crashed doing an update today. The few photos I had worked with were saved this morning onto the external hard drive..... I snagged up a larger hard drive and replaced that, and now it looks like I'm gonna do a format and continue with updates for a few days before I start using it again just to see what happens when it gets to that second service pack update. I've still got the XP laptop so I'm using that for now. I won't format this XP laptop for a while. No need to until I sell it, then I'll format and do all the updates before I do.

Lowjiber
12-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I hated Vista so much that I bought a Mac and purchased Apple stock. :yes:

yazoo
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I used mozilla firefox to get around some of the crap till better updates made internet explore usable now I have no problems with vista. Yazoo

Snowy
12-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Well, I tried 3 other hard drives in this puppy and none of them would hold a restore in it for some reason.
The hard drives came from the same model computer, just a larger size. I don't get it...
Anyway, I put the original hard drive back in, formatted, did all the updates and got
Vista Service Pack 2 installed, all the other updates.... seems to be fine. I'm back to using it again.
I dunno why I like it....

And yeah... it's better with all the updates. OH! ... this is Vista Home Premium... Can't stand the Basic version.

RickO
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Still using XP on my units (Laptop/desktop).... Hearing good things about Windows 7, but not ready to take the plunge. Have Vista on another Laptop, works OK here.... RickO