PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of treasure

v3ikid
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Went for a different kind of treasure today. And yes they were good. lol This is my half.

odave
04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Yummy :clapping: :clapping:

russellt
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
:omg:. you guys eat those things ? i dont know about that :huh::huh:

Ill Digger
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
:omg:. you guys eat those things ? i dont know about that :huh::huh:
Oh yeah !! They're good too!

I'm not much of a mushroom person per-say, but I usually go and try and find a dozen or so morels every spring :yes:
I'm surprised they're popping up already :confused: I usually go out about the 2nd & 3rd week of May. All this rain should really help with the sprouting thumbsup01
Good eats :drool:
Congrats :grin:

Carl in Louisiana
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't know how to tell the good ones from the bad ones...so I stay away from them....except for the ones in the stores lol

v3ikid
04-18-2011, 10:13 PM
The simple answer is when you cut them in half the good ones are hollow all the way through. The bad ones have a cotton type substance in the middle. And last but not least stay away from the large red ones. You can also tell from the looks of the outside but if you are not familiar with them it will be hard to tell this way.

75 and thunderstorms tomorrow.....Hmmmmm guess where i'll be Wednesday, YEP getting some more. :clapping:

coinnut
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Morel's?? Nice and good eating too. Very short time span to find them, but you find one and you find a group of them. Nice, if that is what they are. :clapping:

Ill Digger
04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Morel's??..... Nice, if that is what they are. :clapping:
Yeah, they're morels. :yes:

JTGOLD
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
you can have my share,,, :barf: :barf:

Spiderwort
04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Roll em in cracker crumbs and pan fry to a toasty brown. Goes good with a mess of goggle-eyes. One of the joys of spring. Enjoy them friend.

v3ikid
04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I got 170 more today, i'll post some pics sometime. It was 35 degrees when i started thus morning. Found 60 around one small clump of dead trees. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Whoa!! Thats a haul!! Do you freeze them for the rest of the year? Also I was wondering what you use for a bag? I've seen some mesh ones. I don't know were to find one like that :confused: They say it's good to use a mesh bag so as you walk through the woods and the spoors are falling off the mushrooms you are redepositing the spoors throughout the woods. Therefore reseeding for the following year. :thinkingabout: :dontknow:

v3ikid
04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I've heard all kinds of things like that over the years. I have always used a Walmart bag. lol Been hunting this area for 25 years now and it is still producing nicely.
I've heard you can't find them until night time temps are warm but i remember when i was a kid my dad would always find some in March a full two weeks before people around here even go out. A few times there was snow on the ground when he found them. They were small ones but still good eating.

To me the best luck i've had is when you get a day or two with warm temps and thunderstorms like we had here last night. it was 73 at 5:00 and the temps dropped over night and never got over 50 today.

Mushrooms i believe are going to come up when they are going to come up. When it's that time it's that time. The more rain we get the more i find. Dry springs make for some off years for me. I don't find nearly as many.

RobW
04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't take my personal chances...I'd probably find the magic ones and be on a carpet ride for days rofl