PDA

View Full Version : New Site, Old Site both produce and one really screwed up war nickel!!!

mdakin
04-17-2011, 10:56 PM
So, I had a nice weekend. I finally could not resist any longer and hit this site I got permission to detect last year. I'm glad I did as it produced very well. A nice collection of coppers including my first fatty IH, and a 1869 semi-key IH and a 1864, not sure about the L. Also, a nice old LC 1819. Oh, did I mention some nice silver!

Today I went back to an old haunt that still produces silver just about every time I visit. I've pulled 4 WL halves from this place plus dozens of smaller silver. Today did not disappoint, a nice merc and a really screwed up war nickel. I've heard of people pulling nice targets out of holes with iron, but this is going a bit beyond my expectations. There it was, fairly deep, between 6-7 and ringing nice and loud. I would have thought the iron screw that bonded to this war nickel would have kept its prize hidden for all eternity, except it didn't anticipate my Minelab and my trusty 12X15 SEF coil.

Well thanks for looking,

Jai

Viking
04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow, what a great hunt! A nice mix of old coins and neat looking relics. Congrats to you! :clapping:

dave in iowa
04-17-2011, 11:33 PM
great finds

jkress
04-18-2011, 12:31 AM
What a fantastic weekend you had. :shocked04: :clapping:
All kinds of interesting goodies you found.
Love all that silver! The War Nickel is certainly an interesting piece.
The LC is an oldie... congrats!
Great job on hitting your first IH fatty. I'm still trying to find my first.
Nice bunch of relics to boot.
Well done mdakin

aloldstuff
04-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Great hunt. Iron attached to the nickel and you still got it, fantastic. Sounds like a great honey hole. thanks for the post and keep diggin

del
04-18-2011, 10:08 AM
well done Matt you got a great variety of items the 69 indians looks to be in pretty nice shape :clapping: :clapping: congrats on the fine silver coins too.

Dan

russellt
04-18-2011, 01:41 PM
super fantastic hunt ..

wingmaster
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Great bunch of finds, congrats.

Epi-hunter
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Terrific finds!!! That site is definitely a very good one, and there is more there still I am sure :clapping:

coinnut
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Nice hits Matt |:confused:) |:confused:) The way to tell an 1864 L is to look at the end of the bust (bottom left side) that sticks out. If the very end is rounded then it is not a L, but if it's pointy, it's an L. Google 1864 Indian and see some images of the normal and the L date to see the difference. The reason you were able to see the nickel was because the iron was to one side of the coin and enough of it was exposed for the nickel signal to peek through. Also the nickel and iron are on the same plane. If you have a nail directly above the nickel with space between them, you will not get any response. Plus you hit it from a good direction, as it may get nulled out if you swing too fast or approach the iron side first. Congrats on a super hunt man!! :clapping:

angellionel
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Those were some very nice and productive hunts. Very sweet keepers. :clapping: