PDA

View Full Version : Pro Pointer

cliffy
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Here are a couple of shots of my first and second pro pointer.
You can see how much wear and tear I put on the ends. On my
first I wore the end off over an inch from using it in the sand
and dirt. It's no longer works and expired after 2 years, not
because of the tip but because I set it down in some very wet
grass. Water got through the speaker hole and the on off
switch eventually and it died. Warrenty was up so I just got another.
The reason I like the propointer so much is because it is lite and
it will seek out the tiny earring studs for me with ease, just lay it
on it side and sift through the sand. I like this pointer so much
I will most likely end up with a third. What I would really like to see
added to the pointer is a high ridge on top to sift the sand better
and a place to attach a strap so I can wrap it around my wrist with
out having to lay it down in the wet grass. These pointers are so good
the only time I use my dx-1 now is when the battery goes dead out in the field. :grin:
Thanks
Cliffy

coinnut
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I'd try and find a cap at a home improvement store like the inline probe has. Also wouldn't hurt to rig up something to keep it off of the ground, even if it involves duct tape and looks bad lol Don't just keep buying them (sorry Garrett lol), dress up the new one before it dies :yes:

Ill Digger
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
:shocked04: lol I'm surprised you didn't wear a a hole clear through it lol
The plastic around the tip must be awfully thick! :shocked04: thumbsup01
Yeah I bought a back up one too......just in case thumbsup01

CyberSage
04-19-2011, 07:04 AM
I am not sure a little wet grass is what caused it to die. I rinse mine off under running water all the time. I just put my finger over the speaker when I do this. I would take the non-working one apart and have some fun with it. Anyone else want to see the inside of one of these bad boys? lol

cliffy
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think you can get into these unless you have a chop saw. lol

v3ikid
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a chop saw. Be more then happy to take a look. :yes:

jkress
04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
lol I can't believe how much you wore the tip down.
Mine has gotten pretty wet several times without a problem.
However, I have dropped it a few times lately on a hard surface and it is acting a little funny... user error. :rolleyes:
I usually wrap several layers of electrical tape around the bottom 4 inches. The nails and rocks seem to scuff it up quite a bit.
Congrats on the new hardware. :clapping:

cliffy
04-21-2011, 01:43 AM
After so many uses the rubber cap over the switch became deformed and lose on mine and water got in it there. I just wanted to show how much wear the end can take with out a problem. I have tried electric tape and different caps over the end and never did like doing that. I tried taking it apart one time to put a switch board it in, but it was worse than cracking a safe. lol

Sandhog
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I haven't tried this yet but Plastidip that they sell at hardware stores for coating tool handles may be a good option. If you don't like it it just peels off. The only problem is that it renders the sifting edge useless.

cliffy
04-23-2011, 12:58 AM
I haven't tried this yet but Plastidip that they sell at hardware stores for coating tool handles may be a good option. If you don't like it it just peels off. The only problem is that it renders the sifting edge useless.

There's a good idea.. thanks.

swingbot
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Mine was wearing down too so,, I got me some two part epoxy and for plastics and dipped it. works really good. thumbsup01