PDA

View Full Version : 1786 Copper,Mailed Bust Facing Left

fsa46
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I found one today and like the 1723 Woods Halfpenny I found a couple weeks ago it is in terrible condition. The only way I identified it was to place a sheet of paper over it and rub it with graphite pencil. I did both the front and back and got a good enough impression to make a positive ID.

My question is: Why don't these Connecticut Copper have a denomination listed in the book ?

I hope my luck changes one of these days and I can find a 1700 Copper in decent shape.

del
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
hey Frank that is a great question , i still not sure if they were used as half pennies or whole pennies in transactions but its one or the other . would love to see your Connecticut copper you might be surprised and be able to identify its variety after all theres only 46 different varieties on the 1786 very low compared to others .

fsa46
04-18-2011, 06:46 PM
hey Frank that is a great question , i still not sure if they were used as half pennies or whole pennies in transactions but its one or the other . would love to see your Connecticut copper you might be surprised and be able to identify its variety after all theres only 46 different varieties on the 1786 very low compared to others .

Dan, I'm certain of the ID. It is listed in the book as the 1786 Copper, Mailed Bust Facing Left . Of all the 46 varieties not a single one lists the denomination.

I love finding these early coins, but our soil really takes it's toll on the copper coins.

This coin was a measured 9 down and the confidence in my MXT Pro increases with every find like this.

del
04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
hey Frank i told you its a great machine and you'll only get better with it , how about a good closeup front and back and i'll do my best to narrow down the variety from what i can make out. hey congrats on the coin.

coinnut
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Breens list them as being minted to the standard of the British halfpence, but there were some issues that didn't allow them to be passed at 24 pieces to one shilling. They were actually accepted at only 18 pieces to one shilling in CT and 14 pieces to one shilling in NY. So I guess they are supposed to be half pennies (half pence)

fsa46
04-19-2011, 05:36 AM
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/IMG_0872_1_1.jpg
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/IMG_0873_1_1.jpg
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/img001.jpg

Dan, You really can't tell much by the coin itself, however, I have attached the impressions from the coin that I used to make the ID. 225 years takes a toll, LOL.

fsa46
04-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Breens list them as being minted to the standard of the British halfpence, but there were some issues that didn't allow them to be passed at 24 pieces to one shilling. They were actually accepted at only 18 pieces to one shilling in CT and 14 pieces to one shilling in NY. So I guess they are supposed to be half pennies (half pence)

Thanks for that great information. :yes:

OxShoeDrew
10-22-2011, 08:47 PM
So I'm doing some research to find out what denomination a Connecticut copper is because I found one this summer. My Google search brought me here! I should have just searched my own forum. You folks are great. |:cheering:

fsa46
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
So I'm doing some research to find out what denomination a Connecticut copper is because I found one this summer. My Google search brought me here! I should have just searched my own forum. You folks are great. |:cheering:

Yes Sir, some great people here that can really help when it comes to the hard ones.....you just have to ask.