PDA

View Full Version : Evening Hunt with Al

RobW
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
I was heading out of town last Friday for a long weekend trip. So Al and I met up for an evening hunt, it's nice that it stays light outside longer now :yes:. He took me to the area he found the barber half...he finally shared his secret lol. He went right so I went left...Walked about 5 feet from the car had a nice hit, dug a 1940 Merc. So I started to grid that area. Had a solid 12-11 hit, and I do not normally dig those signals, but I will if I'm not in a trashy area. I was hoping for a Buffalo or Liberty nickel, what I got was even better...a shield nickel :happydance01: While those were the only coins I got, I did get another nice signal, hit just like a silver dime. I dug down and it was a silver spoon bowl, about the size of a baby spoon....silver is silver and I'll take it :yes:

aloldstuff
04-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Yes Rob you did get some good coins that night especially the shield nickel. We may have to go back sometime

Ill Digger
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Nice finds!
Those shield nickles sure are hard to come by :yes:
And I agree silver is silver thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

jkress
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Score!! :clapping: A Shield and a Merc are awesome finds.
I'd love to find a silver spoon. :smitten: So far I've only found plated ones.
Very nice of Al to share his hot spot with you. :yes: Congrats to both of you.

angellionel
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Great hit on the shield nickel! Those don't come by often. :happydance01: I like the silver of course. :grin:

russellt
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
havent found a shield nickle in 6 years of this madness .. yours looks great for a buried 5 center.. the merc aint shabby either . congrats

wingmaster
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Great finds, congrats on the merc and shield nic.

coinnut
04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
The Shield Nickel does look pretty good. :shocked04: Is the spoon hallmarked? Great little hunt Rob and Al.

RobW
04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
The Shield Nickel does look pretty good. :shocked04: Is the spoon hallmarked? Great little hunt Rob and Al.

I showed the good side the shield side is toasty...couldn't get a date

The spoon has no hallmark, missing the handle, just found the bowl...it's small and hit like a silver dime