PDA

View Full Version : A couple more V3i questions

v3ikid
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I am still learning functions of the V3i and have more questions.

Modulation- Will turning this off make deeper targets sound off louder?
What are the advatages and disadvantages of running this off or on and what do the settings represent as far as the target goes?

Polar Plot- I messed with the polar plot when i first got the V but soon gave up on it to not overload myself until i got some time in with the machine. Now i'm ready to try to utilize this funtion as best i can. The problem i'm having is that where i'm testing it is in my trash infested yard. Now i have my negative numbers set to give no tone but accept the on visual.

When i use Polar Plot it seems like it hits on junk that makes no tone long before i can get the coil accross the good signal. Once Polar plot gives an indication on something it seems like it stays there and doesn't reset until i flip the switch back to the center position then flip it forward again, then it will rest.

Is there a setting i'm missing to make this work like it should? OR is it My trashy yard that is making it difficult to use?

I sure would like to figure this function out and make it workable enough to see if it will help enough to use it regularly.

Vito
04-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Hey v3ikid,

About modulation - Yes. If this feature is [ON] then deeper/smaller targets will be announced by less sound-volume. This can help to get a clue on how deep a coin sized target will be in the field before you take a view to the target visual ID meter (depth reading).
Shallow target = loud / deep target = low.

Means in the field a shallow foil reading can be more a foil as a deeper foil reading can be more a ring/jewelry. The magic words here are
>can be<. The best way to confirm is to dig the targets. And normally in a foil infested area you better dig the deeper targets.

But what's about the weak targets on the detectors edge, known/named as <whisper>? Yes, you can use the boost or cranking up the sensitivity/gain to max. But this can also load more items nearby the target of interest or the detector may become very erratic.
Another helpful option will be to switch [OFF] modulation. So with the modulation switched off all detected targets will be announced by the same sound-volume. There are some other ways to get a clue on how deep the target will be. One is to look at the meter. If it is a deep one and the ID is jumping you better dig. Right here you see, modulation [OFF] will not help in better id'ing the target.
But it helps a lot to announce it by sound-volume.

Depending on what you're searching for and/or in what areas you're searching, the modulation [ON] or [OFF] can be a very helpful tool.

About polar plot - never used this and never will use this. lol Hope one or more of the other members will chime in.

Happy Hunting.

Vito

Lowjiber
04-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Regarding polar plot, I've found little practical use for the function and thus have little insight to share. However, rcsnake (Bob at White's) addresses the function here: http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=4673.0

CyberSage
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I always us the Modulation setting when hunting iron infested ground. I have found with the correct Range setting it will quiet down the higher pitched weaker signals from deep iron and let the deep coins sound off loud and clear. I use a range setting of 4 on my V3. The equivalent setting for a V3i would be 2. I allow for continual tone response in the high range to deal with wrap. This means that +95 can get noisy. This setting seems to help quiets down this response, as these also are usually weaker signals.

Jack

tumbleinn
04-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Modulation: Can be a preference on the setting as some like to hear the audio at full audio when a target is detected while others like the audio to be modulated which will make it softer in sound on deeper targets or targets that are fairly small. This Audio modulation is only for the discrimination (Disc) mode as when in the all metal/pinpoint mode the audio is modulated. When Modulation is under Mix mode or Stereo Mix mode it is referring to the discrimination audio. Personally I like to use the detector with no modulation so I can hear the target easier but the down side is a nail can be chirpier with the modulation off.

The polar plot is very useful for bottle-caps that are shallow (5 to 6 inches up depending on the ground. The vectors that are being shown are not the normalized vectors. Another way to think about this is for the unnormalized VDI numbers in polar plot form. Hence with the 22.5kHz the high conductive targets (quarter) will be shown toward the X axis as in unnormalized with a VDI of 90-91, while 7.5kHz will above this with the 22.5kHz line with a VDI of 83 and finally with 2.5kHz the line will be above both 22.kHz and the 7.5kHz line and the unormalized for the 2.5kHz should be around a VDI would 67.

Iron has a tendency show a loop from the 2nd quadrant (top left square of graph) to the first quadrant (top right square of graph) when iron is swept over by the coil. Hence, the loops shown on the graph. And this is what I use the polar plot. The loops on the graph shows the phase angle or VDI number changing as the coil is swept over the target as this is typical on some iron targets.

If you think in terms of VDI numbers instead of phase angle of the target then the top middle edge of the screen would a VDI of 0, far right middle edge of the screen would be +95 and then far left middle edge of the screen would be -95 (these would be on the lines or the axis that is formed on the screen.. The rest of the numbers would form a semi circle to complete the VDI numbers on top and then the lines would point to the VDI number.

I might only use this a couple times to help verify a bottle cap that is a little hard to tell from the signal strength of the 3 frequencies in pinpoint.
This info comes from Bob @ whites

Hope it helps you

v3ikid
04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
How do i get the polar plot function to reset faster? Is trash the culprit as to why i have to filp the switch constantly?