PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry

v3ikid
04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I have been trying to figure why The V hasn't been hitting any gold for me yet.
My style of hunting and places that i hunt have made me pretty much give up on the bouncy pulltab signals. I still dig solid numbers or ones that don't bounce much.

In the past i have dug hundreds of pull tabs to figure out what to pass on to try to narrow down on the trash. lately I have been hunting previously saturated ground and some wierd things have been happening. I'll give a few examples

#1. I get a signal that in one direction gives a +90-+91, In the other direction it's like +92-+93 depth meter says 3 deep. At this point i'm getting excited because i have never got a good signal like that in that depth and it was hitting hard on the 2.5 frequency. I dig down 3 and pull out a clad quarter. :thinkingabout:

#2 I figure i'm going to start digging all solid signals no matter what the VDI reads or what frequency it hits hardest in to try to bring in some more jewelry. I get a hit that is solid and the VDI is bouncing from +30 to about +42. It is shallow and the 7.5 frequency is pegged as the champ on this one. Thinking pull tab I dig down 1 1/2 and pull out a .925 silver ring. :thinkingabout: Again from previously saturated ground that is still real damp.

#3 I get a solid hit and a VDI from +14 to 20's, It's a good solid tone so i dig. The frequency that wins out id 22.5 so i'm thinking can slaw. I dig down only 3 and get my second Buffalo nickel out of this park this year. :thinkingabout:

I realize that an older coin like that, that has been in the ground a long time can make a VDI bounce but some of these others are making me rethink how i am going to approach this park.

Oh Before i forget. If i get a solid hit in this ground and it's a solid 18 or 19 with the frequencies lining up it's almost always junk. Most nickels tend to bounce a bit.

My new theory is probably the oldest advice i have gotten from metal detecting. I'm going to dig it all. One day i won't be able to. lol