PDA

View Full Version : Got out in a new place today, a first for me!

Jack Flynn
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I hunted a place in town that is very old and had a lot of people around it for many many years. Ten minutes out of the truck I got a full scale deep on the E Trac but repeatable signal.
17-18 FE and 44 on the conductivity. At about 10 inches down the Garrett pinpointer started ringing in the hole. I had just found my first Barber dime, 1909, yahoo! I'm tickled to death. It was in the 11 inch range and was laying flat. I hunted for 2 hours and found nothing but deep nails. Lot's of them. I'm gonna have to get some pointers from someone here about these really deep sounds I should be looking for.

del
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
its very sweet to hear those nice sounding deep targets but boy is it great to pull out some old silver Jack. congrats on your first Barber man its a beauty . thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Congrats Jack!! Great barber dime, and deep! I love finding barber dimes :) That place is sure worth hitting again :yes:

bmattioli
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice Barber, bet you were quite happy with that one.. A scarce find, at least for me.. The E-Trac did a good job once again.

angellionel
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
That is indeed a nice Barber dime, Jack. Congrats! Many of the deeper silver dimes are going to give off variable Fe numbers, often remaining in the 14 through 24 range, as well as sometimes having lower than expected Co numbers. Sweet find!

coinnut
12-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Great find, love them Barbers :yes: That was one deeeeeeep dime lol Glad you decided to dig it and not give up. Congrats on your first and many more I hope. :)

Jason in Enid
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Great job finding that Barer, I'd bet there's some more deep silver hiding there.

I can't help much on the nails, some of them still fool me. It always seems to hit on the very tip of the nail too. I'd say that deep nails are the price to pay for deep silver.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-31-2009, 08:19 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....nice hunk of old silver me bouy! Best to youz in the new year!

deltacornbread
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Good find! My limited experience with the etrac; if it is deep, numbers wander around, but somewhere in there you get a good tone. Right now I am digging in those situations. And so far, as I dig and it is a good target, the tone/numbers improve. That said, I have dug up some deep junk. Still consider myself a rookie with the etrac. So for me it goes back to how much digging I want to do on that particular day.

CyberSage
12-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice Barber! Man, you got to love that depth. Deep nails come with the territory. Congratulations.

Jack

John M
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Great looking dime,and so deep to recover it.

SpringTxDigger
01-01-2010, 02:08 PM
SWEET find. I remember my first Barber Dime. The first of many for you I'm sure. And yes that spot would be worth another look. Congrats!!

RickO
01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Nice Barber.. and deep as well. I found REALLY deep targets on the beach with the PI... down 20+ inches. Never went that deep with land detectors... about 14 inches has been the deepest so far with the V3. RickO