PDA

View Full Version : My first hunt in 12 years...

Tony Two-Cent
04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
FINALLY got out with my new E-Trac today! I had taken it out for a very brief hunt a couple of weeks ago, but it was so cold I couldn't hack it. The weather was gorgeous today, so I finally got to go out on my first real hunt in over twelve years. It is going to take me a while to get used to the E-Trac, but I did have moderate success today.

I haven't been metal detecting since my old Fisher 1260-X quit working in 1999. I have really wanted to get back out there lately so I decided to take the plunge and get an E-Trac. I think it's going to be a great machine for me once I get used to it.

I went to a local park that is heavily hunted. Within 10 minutes I found a 1911 wheat cent, so my hopes were high that it wasn't completely hunted out. I also found my first E-Trac silver, a 1947 Roosevelt dime there. After another hour of not finding much, I decided to head to a local grade school.

I found a lot more coins at the grade school, although most of the were modern. I did find an Indian Head Cent , which I was very pleased with! Unfortunately, the coin is very corroded and I can't make out a date. I will have to give it a good cleaning to see if I can coax a date out of it.

Mostly it just felt good to be out there hunting again! (But boy is my arm tired!)

Spike
04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice first hunt with the E-trac you are going to like it thumbsup01

Full Metal Digger
04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Congrats on the finds and welcome back to the hobby. I have had my e-trac a couple of months and cannot believe how much stuff I am finding! I make videos and post them to Youtube. I show what signals I got for each target. It may be beneficial for you to watch them. My youtube channel is Daddydigger1. Best wishes and HH!

Tony Two-Cent
04-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks!

I will be checking out your YouTube videos for sure. That sounds like the exact kind of help I need, knowing what to listen for. (I don't pay much attention to the visual screen.)

Here's the Indian Head, not too pretty! Now that I have scanned it I can almost make out part of the date. Could it be 187? something? If so, it would be the oldest Indian Head I've found. My current oldest is 1883.

What's the best way to get rid of that green crud without damaging the coin?

del
04-23-2011, 08:14 PM
hey congrats on the hunt Tony , its like falling off a bike :eyebrow: you never forget how lol lol . its official now welcome back to the hobby :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

v3ikid
04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me that Indian head looks to me like it's 187?, Hope you get it cleaned up and find out it's another 7. Cool digs :clapping:

jkress
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Wow... what a way to break back in to the hobby!! :clapping:
Glad to hear you had a nice day out there.
Love that silver and the IH is a nice old one for your collection.
Congrats TTC. <:

coinnut
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I think you did really well for your first time out with an alien machine lol Congrats on your first silver, your first Indian and all the fun you had :clapping: As for the Indian, the green is probably holding the date together lol, so you may never get a date off of it. But it does look like an 187?. I would microwave some Hydrogen Peroxide (10 seconds) and then drop the coin into it. After a minute of two I would use a round toothpick and try and flick some of that green off of it. Repeat if needed. Remember, any time you try to clean a heavily corroded coin, you risk losing some or all of the characteristics that identify it. But at this point, you have nothing to lose anyways. Great hunt, and you will love that machine. I have a lot of fun with mine :yes:

russellt
04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
super hunt .. its like riding a bike right ... .... thats a great hunt ;)

Epi-hunter
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Congratulations, great first hunt with the E-Trac! It sounds like you are going to continue to do well with it :)

Tony Two-Cent
04-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I went out again today and found several coins at a different grade school but nothing spectacular.

I let the Indian Head soak in hydrogen peroxide overnight. It's definitely 187? but I'm not sure if that last digit will ever reveal itself. I will continue to let the coin soak and see if the green corrosion loosens up any.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Indian-Head-Date.jpg

RobW
04-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I use lemon lime soda to remove the green corrosion..it works well. Nice finds!

tanacat
04-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Congrats on our Rosie and IH! I bet you'll be out hunting a lot more often now :yes:

Don't worry, you'll get those MD muscles back in shape thumbsup01

aloldstuff
04-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome back to hobby. Congrats on your first etrac silver. Try Robw suggestion, his coins come out looking good.