PDA

View Full Version : Trying Something New

z118
04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
I had plans of hitting some old parks this morning, but heavy rain messed that up. The rains stopped after a while and I opted to hit a local tot lot, with mediocre results - 25 coins worth $2.31, some trinkets, and a small heart pendant stamped .925. After that I tried something new - in the middle of an old town on the Erie Canal is a decent sized, wooded hill, marked as a park on all the maps. On a hike there last year I noticed some crumbling stone and cement outdoor fireplaces. I figured that perhaps at some point in the past it might have been a picnic spot. So in the name of finding new hunting grounds and new hunting styles I decided to give it a try with the E-trac. Long story short it was a total bust. I have no idea how to hunt in anything other than turf, chips, or sand. Wooded grounds are a pain to swing in, and in this instance, the ground was riddled with cans and scraps and who knows what other kind of metal garbage. I found nothing, but that's not surprising as I did not go after it with as much patience as I likely should have. At any rate, at least I tried something new, and it was nice to be outside and walking around.

Happy hunting!

jkress
04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice initial hunt. The silver charm is a nice on for your collection. :clapping:

On a hike there last year I noticed some crumbling stone and cement outdoor fireplaces.

Man... you had me glued to your post right here. :yes:

Long story short it was a total bust.

NOOOOOO! This can not be. crying01 Your pictures show great promise from this site. Look at those old trees. :shocked04:
There has got to be some goodies there. I think a return trip is definitely justified. Go there with the mind set
that there is one silver coin somewhere and you are going to find it. Sometimes this helps me at sites. Just looking
for that one coin.

Keep at it Z!

coinnut
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Picnic Area = Total Bust? :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: Say it isn't so Z. I was drooling at the site :drool: lol It may just not be your kind of hunting. We had a buddy we brought to a cellar hole and he was bored to death. He likes to hear a lot of different targets, even if they are not all good. Some people just like a certain type of hunting. But if you are ever interested in trying your E Trac at a very slow, slow....uhmmmm SLOW pace, give that place another shot. I agree with the attitude that there is a silver coin somewhere there, and I'm gonna find it, is a good way to approach it. I know for me, if I really concentrate at a cellar hole, I pull more targets out. But not a bad hunt since you got some silver for your troubles and more importantly, you got out and detected :clapping:

Viking
04-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Good job on being able to get out on a rainy day. You found way more than you would have if you had stayed in. :clapping:

That site does look pretty good, but I hear ya on the difficult/different hunting spot. I have to imagine that with sticks, saplings, tall grass, etc, that swinging a coil from left to right, and back again, is difficult enough, let alone finding something. :hairpulling: With that being said, we've seen HUNDREDS of posts on this site with people who clean up in areas that look very similar. I agree with the others- it might be worth another shot as long as you can get your head in a nirvana-like state and stay patient. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

russellt
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
looks like great place to dirt fish . looks maybe that somebody already hit it...... i would go in again