PDA

View Full Version : Rightie Or lefty Lesche Definition?

MartinL
04-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I've been using a Leche which has the notches in the right side of the blade. Does that make it a digger for a right handed person? If it is for right handed people, then I find it awkward to use the serrated side of the blade to cut roots. Have I been wrong all this time and mine is for left handed hunters? Maybe I need a lesson in using the darn thing. Most all roots I cut are pried into with the Lesche, or I whack it with a shovel in desperation. It kinda seems to me that if the serrations were in the left side that it would be more natural use it right handed, in a normal sawing motion during root cutting. it does seem that most lesche diggers cone with the serrations on the right side, so naturally I assumed it to be for right handed people. Wazzup with this?

OK I've done a little research, and found that the serrations on mine(right side), normally means it is for a left handed person. That kinda sucks, cuz there was never any offer when buying for right or left handed. The whole world is basically dominated by right handers, or I think that it does. Why would left handed lesche diggers be sold by default? I seriously think that trying to dig left handed would make for a lame and crude hole, if I could even physically manage digging left handed. Lesche os a good digger, but the marketing is poor when it comes to R and L selling standards. This is a pretty bad thing when you figure you pay $40-$50. martin

Lowjiber
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
You can buy them with serrations on either side...

MartinL
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
That was actually my main point, but to amplify to people considering buying a lesche to not simply assume that the most pictured rendition(and apparently delivered) version, is the left handed, notches on the right side. You'd think that the left handed version would be a special request, not the norm, so don't be naive like me if you are a right handed digger. I also know that I can cut the notches on the other side, or buy a second one at the healthy price the command.

New buyers should not make my mistake and just assume that the notches may be on the right side of the blade in the advertisment pics, and you get delivered that same digger in pics, but that doesn't really make it a right handed digger,,,just the opposite. Just beware of the marketing on these things when laying out 40-50 bucks for a hand digger. It's an investment I wouldn't was done wrongly if I could have helped it. martin

RWJR13
04-26-2011, 05:52 AM
I'm right handed and use the Left Tooth Lesche....I as you Martin had one of the others but just have as a back up for now.......

MartinL
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Guess it's a live and learn deal Robert. I don't suppose spending cash on a second, like you, will break the bank. It is disappointing though that marketing pics and the norm delivered type, fits the general left handed THr. I've vented enough, thanks for listening. martin

Dimeman
04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Guess it's a live and learn deal Robert. I don't suppose spending cash on a second, like you, will break the bank. It is disappointing though that marketing pics and the norm delivered type, fits the general left handed THr. I've vented enough, thanks for listening. martin

Martin---- you ain't crazy !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I have a regular right handed Lesche-- (bought it years before they started making left handed ones) but using it to cut thru roots I have to turn the handle around 180 degrees ( having the blade upward)so my wrist is postitioned correctly to have leverage to cut any roots.. 8/

2 pics shown....one holding to dig and without moving the position on the digger in my hand just moving my hand----- to cut roots.
Seems to me the teeth should be on the other side( the left side of the blade looking at it) otherwise my wrist would be turned to the right with no leverage of strength to cut roots. :(

coinnut
04-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I kinda agree with Martin's point, that when you order one it should ask you right or left handed. It seems like it may be an honest mistake or it may be a dealer trying to purge some of his lefty units lol I have to check mine now :thinkingabout:

RWJR13
04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
:shocked04: ...Now thats just wrong as heck Martin... :hammer: What bank......I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.......Now you on the other hand...... :poke: back to post......I've been using the regular for quite a few years......Just got the LT last week......I agree that anywhere you order one they should as which you prefer....But I think I would make sure to state my preference on order....I asked my Distributor if he had, or, could get the LT....Was told not available.... \:hammer: don't know why that is...

MartinL
04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
I discovered a thread on another discussion board where the OP was asking for a left handed Lesche, and this was the answer, plus several other people backed up the response. martin

Most Lesche diggers are made for left handed people and they are a disadvantage for right handed people. However its the best digger of its kind and a pleasure to use by everyone!

RWJR13
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Good info Martin...

Bell-Two
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't know if you can specify a left handed or right handed model from the Lesche made by WW Tools but you can from the original manufacturer George Lesche at Predator tools.

The Right Handed model does have the serrations on the right hand side as you look down on it. Picture is of a RH model. Think about how you use it. If you are cutting a root and are Right Handed you put your Left hand on the guard and PUSH it away. If the serrations are on the other side you would not generate the same force by PULLING it towards you. It is a matter of leverage.

MartinL
04-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I don't know if you can specify a left handed or right handed model from the Lesche made by WW Tools but you can from the original manufacturer George Lesche at Predator tools.

The Right Handed model does have the serrations on the right hand side as you look down on it. Picture is of a RH model. Think about how you use it. If you are cutting a root and are Right Handed you put your Left hand on the guard and PUSH it away. If the serrations are on the other side you would not generate the same force by PULLING it towards you. It is a matter of leverage.

I can't get my head around what you are describing for cutting a root with the left hand on the guard. Since starting this thread and since researching the web about the issue, is all seems factual that the serations on the right side are for left handed people. Again, I just can't see that digging procedure as you described it. martin

Bell-Two
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I can't get my head around what you are describing for cutting a root with the left hand on the guard. Since starting this thread and since researching the web about the issue, is all seems factual that the serations on the right side are for left handed people. Again, I just can't see that digging procedure as you described it. martin

If you are gripping the digger with your right hand you put the palm of your left hand on the guard and apply pressure with your left hand going to your right. You develop more force pushing motion than a pulling motion. In this manner you are using the force of both hands. If the serrations are on the left you are applying very little force with the left hand as you cut across the root.

Hard to explain a video would be helpful. Contact Predator tools and ask them why they make the Right Hand Model the way they do, perhaps they can explain better than I did.

MartinL
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
If you are gripping the digger with your right hand you put the palm of your left hand on the guard and apply pressure with your left hand going to your right. You develop more force pushing motion than a pulling motion. In this manner you are using the force of both hands. If the serrations are on the left you are applying very little force with the left hand as you cut across the root.

Hard to explain a video would be helpful. Contact Predator tools and ask them why they make the Right Hand Model the way they do, perhaps they can explain better than I did.

I went to Predator Tools website and didn't find any user friendly portal for such questions, so I figured that an e-mail would only get me words, not pictorial or video representations. You'd thing that there would be a Utube of people showing basics of digging with the Lesche, not the case as far as i can tell. My digging technique it right handed, clockwise, and if the notches were on the left side, I'd have natural leverage and body weight to always be cutting with the serated edge, which makes good sense to me, just like a hand saw of any kind. I did find that topic in another thread on another MDing site that the lesche digger was designed more for the left handed digger in mind, and is was discomforting to many right handed people. Oh well. martin

Bell-Two
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
When I dig (I am right handed) I insert the blade and go in a counter clockwise motion, cut a half circle then go to the other side doing the same until I meet the first insertion point of my digger. I then have a horseshoe shaped plug that I pull up leaving a flap on the plug. I guess it is a manner of style. Most of my friends that have the Lesche and that are right handed seem to do the same way. There is no right or wrong way of doing just a matter of preference. If you prefer the opposite I then would order the left handed digger. When you call Predator to order, and I have two I have always been asked if I want the right or left handed version. I do not know if WW tools, owned by George Lesche's brother make different versions all the ones of theirs I have seen are the righthanded style. If a company makes only one style it is only fiscally responsible for them to make the right handed since there are many more right handed people than left. No offence to left handed people but that is the truth.

aloldstuff
05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Nice topic...I have always cut my plugs with both hands( I cut a circle). I can't seem to grasp any difference between right or left handed use. If I need to cut some roots, I simply adjust the Lesch to the situation

Bedrock
05-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I was able to locate a right-handed Lesche last year, online. It digs the heck out of clad coins, and I much prefer to do this right-handed, rather than left-handed. Now if I can only find a right-handed screwdriver for a probe.

MartinL
05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Nice topic...I have always cut my plugs with both hands( I cut a circle). I can't seem to grasp any difference between right or left handed use. If I need to cut some roots, I simply adjust the Lesch to the situation

To me, using the serrated edge for cutting roots should be the same action as sawing wood with a rip saw, and with the serrations being on the right side, I lose that natural ability of using my body weight, like when sawing wood. It feels like I have to saw upwards on roots, and I lose lots of strength. It just feels all backwards to me. It would be easily adjusted to if the blade didn't have the concave aspect, but it does. martin

steve in so az
07-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Matter of fact just this afternoon I ordered one with the left hand cutting spec. Got it for 33 bux plus 10 bux shipping from Colonial Detecting . Steve in so az

BOWSER
11-27-2011, 11:41 PM
lefthanded people don't live as long as rightys,i guess they want give leftys an edge. thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dig EM
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

To me that one looks left handed?? I took mine and cut the teeth on the other side so mine has the teeth on both sides. I am left handed and it works better for me that way.