PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Silver Despite the Rain

Epi-hunter
04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Here are my E-Trac finds from my last 3 short hunts over the weekend. The barber silver is still stubbornly eluding me, but I'm happy :)

This Friday after work I went to a local park for a couple of hours and worked a hilly area. I abandoned my usual wandering strategy and forced myself to grid and move very slowly. It paid off, as I found these two mercury dimes dated 1940s and 1945s, and a rosie dated 1964.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/mercsandrosie.jpg

Despite the storms and rain I managed to get back there for a short while yesterday and focused on the same areas. My first find was a nice 1912d V-nickel. At the end of the hunt I had four mercury dimes dated 1916 (no mint mark :crying02: ) 1917, 1917, and 1923, a silver war nickel dated 1945 as well as a real surprise... a 1893 silver Chicago World's Fair commemorative half dollar. :happydance01: I didn't know what it was when it came out of the ground, but looked it up once arriving home. According to Red Book, the coins were sold during the 1893 Chicago Fair for $1 each. :) It is in very nice condition:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/worldsfairhalffront.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/worldsfairhalfback.jpg

Here are all the coins from yesterday:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/Silverandv.jpg

It continued to rain today and I thought I would not make it out, but it finally quit around noon and after completing some chores around the house I went back to the same park but a different area. I spent just under an hour there, and found my best silver coin of the year happydance02 I did a dance after this one!! 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar :happydance01:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/walkinghalf.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/walkinghalffront.jpg

I did not expect a half dollar to come out of that hole! :shocked04: It was only around 7 inches deep, but the signal was broken and sounded bad because the area was trashy. In particular, the metal tube in this photo was partially covering the half but off to the side a bit and a few inches shallower.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/tube.jpg

Last but not least, here is the trash I dug this weekend... no gold this time around, but I was happy with the silver! I also dug a handful of wheats and clad. :yes:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/trash2.jpg

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

HH!

del
04-24-2011, 04:40 PM
wow very nice silver display there Lady |:confused:) |:confused:) thats the third columbia exposition coin i've seen dug but i believe its the best looking one to date . a very sweet coin and with the walking liberty thats alot of silver to be losing at that park. huge congrats Angie :clapping: :clapping:

Viking
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Very nice weekend finds Epi-hunter! :happydance01: It appears that your decision to grid was the right one! I imagine that you have a lot of ground left to cover, so hopefully we'll be seeing even more cool finds:huh:

Way to go!

Ill Digger
04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
:clapping: Yaaah! It's good to see ya :happydance01: :happydance01: Angie!!
With a weekend full of sweet, sweet silver finds like that you should be !! :yes:
Wow !! Two :peace: silver halfs in one weekend!! Talk about fun!! lol thumbsup01
Big congrats to ya !! :grin:
Happy Easter :angelic:

pulltabsteve
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
SWEET Walker!!! :smitten: You had a great couple of hunts Angie. Keep it up. :clapping:

v3ikid
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Those are some pretty sweet finds. That commemorative is really nice. Great Job. :peace:

coinnut
04-24-2011, 06:06 PM
You are tearing that place up :shocked04: :clapping: Nice job on the silver. It pays to grid lol Sweet looking Columbian Half. I had one as a kid. Couldn't imagine ever finding one detecting though. A real good showing of silver from that park. It has a lot of potential :drool: :drool:

dave in iowa
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
great finds , walkers are nice finds , thumbsup01

randy
04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, that's quite a nice mix of silver, congrats! :clapping:

CTDirtFisher
04-24-2011, 06:51 PM
You go gurl! Slaying the silver :peace: :clapping:

z118
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Those are some stellar finds! Great work for sure... Congrats!

yazoo
04-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I would have to say that was a very good hunt .Nice Nice Nice. Yazoo

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
some sweet silver right there! very nice hunt!

milco
04-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the big silver! That Columbian half is very nice indeed!

hockeyguy
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
awesome EPI. I am certainly envious. :clapping: :peace: :callme:

jkress
04-24-2011, 08:50 PM
What a fantastic weekend of hunting Angie!! <:
I'm like you... I tend to naturally wander when I hunt. I also have to
force my self to grid. It's too bad that it is such an effective way to hunt. lol
You found some great silver on your short hunts... just incredible.

I spent just under an hour there, and found my best silver coin of the year happydance02 I did a dance after this one!! 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar :happydance01:

The WLH is a great coin to find, but the Commemorative half dollar is outstanding. If I found one of those... it would be my best find to date. :smitten:
I'd rather find the Commemorative half instead of a Barber half, possibly even instead of a Seated. :thinkingabout:
I'd guess the WLH is 1/3 to 1/4 the value of the Comm. I love it. :smitten:
Of course, I love the WLH too. lol

Congrats on all of that beautiful silver. :clapping:

angellionel
04-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow! You really had your machine talking to you. :clapping: Awesome finds Angie. I love all the silver, but those halves are just great! And you weren't kidding about the details on that Commemorative half. :shocked04: It's simply beautiful. :smitten: I bet you will be hitting that site again and again. lol I think I need to make a road trip. :cheesysmile: lol Congrats on some sweet hunts! thumbsup01

Spiderwort
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Oh my word. Great finds. A lot of people are tempted to take naps on rainy days. :sleepy: You go for the silver.

tanacat
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
:omg: Feast and Famine huh?!? lol Congrats on some fantastic silver Angie :)

I don't see a silver count in your siggy ;) Hope we can get together for a hunt sometime soon!

aloldstuff
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Great hunt....all that silver.....I could only dream

Epi-hunter
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much everyone!! :) It feels good to finally start detecting again, after such a long spell of not being able to.

wow very nice silver display there Lady |:confused:) |:confused:) thats the third columbia exposition coin i've seen dug but i believe its the best looking one to date . a very sweet coin and with the walking liberty thats alot of silver to be losing at that park. huge congrats Angie :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks Dan :) I had never seen the coin before so it was a surprise to me! :yes:

Very nice weekend finds Epi-hunter! :happydance01: It appears that your decision to grid was the right one! I imagine that you have a lot of ground left to cover, so hopefully we'll be seeing even more cool finds:huh:

Thank you Viking! Gridding is really tough for me; it doesn't suit my personality lol But it pays off :cheesysmile:

You are tearing that place up :shocked04: :clapping: Nice job on the silver. It pays to grid lol Sweet looking Columbian Half. I had one as a kid. Couldn't imagine ever finding one detecting though. A real good showing of silver from that park. It has a lot of potential :drool: :drool:

Thanks George :yes: Do you still have the Columbian half? I can't imagine who would carry that coin around and drop it.... I don't think they were really ever in circulation. :confused:

What a fantastic weekend of hunting Angie!! <:
I'm like you... I tend to naturally wander when I hunt. I also have to
force my self to grid. It's too bad that it is such an effective way to hunt. lol
You found some great silver on your short hunts... just incredible.

The WLH is a great coin to find, but the Commemorative half dollar is outstanding. If I found one of those... it would be my best find to date. :smitten:
I'd rather find the Commemorative half instead of a Barber half, possibly even instead of a Seated. :thinkingabout:
I'd guess the WLH is 1/3 to 1/4 the value of the Comm. I love it. :smitten:
Of course, I love the WLH too. lol

Congrats on all of that beautiful silver. :clapping:

Thank you for the kind words Joe :) You're right; the barber half is more common and worth less but there's just something about recognizing the coin as it's coming out of the ground :cheesysmile: :yes:

Wow! You really had your machine talking to you. :clapping: Awesome finds Angie. I love all the silver, but those halves are just great! And you weren't kidding about the details on that Commemorative half. :shocked04: It's simply beautiful. :smitten: I bet you will be hitting that site again and again. lol I think I need to make a road trip. :cheesysmile: lol Congrats on some sweet hunts! thumbsup01

You stay away from my park :poke: lol The only reason there is any silver left there is because you are 800 miles away from it lol

Thank you also for all the advice and help you have given me. It really did make all the difference. :yes: It's a good thing you are patient lol

zrickkid
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Man you had a nice couple of hunts. Keep up the good work.

pipster
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
|:confused:) |:confused:)your efforts really payed off on taking it slow. great finds and may the next 16 merc you dig be a &quot:grin:
so you can send it to me :grin: :grin:

JTGOLD
04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
nice bunch of silver finds,I found one of thoes half dollars last year mine was a 1893 ,very good job.

odave
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow :clapping: :clapping: Sweet Silver finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Congrats :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

fsa46
05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Outstanding outings, some very nice finds indeed. :clapping: