PDA

View Full Version : Killing grass?

Viking
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I had a question for those of you that have been doing this for a long time- have you had many issues with the grass dying in your cut plugs? :thinkingabout: When I say cut plugs, I mean the standard 3 sided cut, where you flip the grass back on the non-cut hinge. Out here in Colorado, where the soil is pretty poor and quite dry (especially lately), I've seen brown spots out in my sister's yard that we've detected recently (granted, it's a new rental for them and the previous renter didn't appear to keep it well maintained).

I just worry about getting permission from someone and then seeing dead spots about two weeks later, knowing that it was my fault. I try to cut them deep, and large, and haven't had this problem in other states, or CO parks with sprinkler systems, but I still wanted to hear if any of you could speak on the subject. From my experience, it seems like a well-watered lawn will be just fine, and drier looking grass will have the toughest time recovering, and unfortunately, that's where I do a lot of hunting. Any tips on how to lessen the potential damage?

Thanks!

coinnut
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I hope someone from the area has better advice that I do. It seems like you already do all the right things, as in a 3 sided plug, deep plugs, etc. I have heard of some people carring around a bottle of water and wetting the plug before burying it again. Don't know if that works or not. I don't know what else you could do except avoid the dry spells, which sounds like it would ruin your whole season lol

Epi-hunter
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I have even heard of someone carrying around grass seed. :shocked01: That's a bit much for me though.

If it's at all dry then the grass does turn brown.

CyberSage
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Hello Viking!

I have not had any problems with plugs yellowing as long as the weather is cooler. Mid Summer in Northern Colorado is not the time to be cutting plugs unless you are in a park that get watered on a regular basis. Once I replace the plug, I use end of my Lesche handle to tap down the cut to seal it tight. If air gets into the cut, at best you will leave yellow smiley faces everywhere. Make sure the plug is tightly sealed. If you are at a home residence use the water hose and really wet the plug area down well when finished with your hunt. If rain is in the forecast get out and hunt before the rain comes. Cutting an oversize plug is the best for keeping the grass green. The initial plug should be at least 4 inches thick as well. Hey, we need to get together for a hunt sometime.

Jack

Viking
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello Viking!

I have not had any problems with plugs yellowing as long as the weather is cooler. Mid Summer in Northern Colorado is not the time to be cutting plugs unless you are in a park that get watered on a regular basis. Once I replace the plug, I use end of my Lesche handle to tap down the cut to seal it tight. If air gets into the cut, at best you will leave yellow smiley faces everywhere. Make sure the plug is tightly sealed. If you are at a home residence use the water hose and really wet the plug area down well when finished with your hunt. If rain is in the forecast get out and hunt before the rain comes. Cutting an oversize plug is the best for keeping the grass green. The initial plug should be at least 4 inches thick as well. Hey, we need to get together for a hunt sometime.

Jack

Thanks for the advice Jack! I think the yellowing problem I noticed was circumstantial, but it's good to hear about hosing it down afterwards and pushing it back tightly to keep the air off the roots. A friend and I went detecting this evening to a school that had very nice soil and sod- what a treat after what I've been playing around in lately.

If you're around at all this weekend, I'm up for a hunt anytime on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. We can set something up in private message. Thanks- Adam

MartinL
04-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I can certainly attest to the fact that the ground and grass coverage where I've dug is very non cooperative for the neat plugs I've seen dug in Utube videos. It's worried me also for the permission and digging in other people's yards around here. It is almost impossible to get a plug...it is usually a busted mess, no matter how hard you try to make an intact plug. Yea, I'd worry too. martin

Jaybird
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi Viking. Just a word of caution. The Denver Parks are off limits to digging. \:hammer:If you are caught with anything but a probe the Park rangers will ask you to leave. I know it sucks but that's their rules. In Wheatridge, You can't even do that. No Md'ing there. Anyway, what part of Colorado are you from? Here in the Brighton, Fort Lupton area, I cut plugs in a horseshoe about 4 deep like Jack does unless it is very dry then I try to cut a square plug and tamp the plug back with my #10 shoe. If it is a watered park you will be O.K.
By the way, If you are in the area, P.M. me and we'll go hunt sometime. Our club Eureka has meetings once a month on the second Friday of the month. Check us out at www.eurekathc.com (http://www.eurekathc.com). thumbsup01 HH
Jay

Viking
04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi Viking. Just a word of caution. The Denver Parks are off limits to digging. \:hammer:If you are caught with anything but a probe the Park rangers will ask you to leave. I know it sucks but that's their rules. In Wheatridge, You can't even do that. No Md'ing there. Anyway, what part of Colorado are you from? Here in the Brighton, Fort Lupton area, I cut plugs in a horseshoe about 4 deep like Jack does unless it is very dry then I try to cut a square plug and tamp the plug back with my #10 shoe. If it is a watered park you will be O.K.
By the way, If you are in the area, P.M. me and we'll go hunt sometime. Our club Eureka has meetings once a month on the second Friday of the month. Check us out at www.eurekathc.com (http://www.eurekathc.com). thumbsup01 HH
Jay

Hi Jaybird. You'll be comforted to know that I stay away from Denver parks. In Colorado, it seems like your metal detector comes with a note that says no detecting in Denver Parks, Wheat Ridge, or Open Space. From my personal experience, I've found that Westminster also bans metal detecting in writing (no digging or keeping items- I went to the City Board and they upheld this ruling >happydance02, Broomfield follows the same rules as Denver Parks, and the city of Louisville bans metal detecting as well, citing shallowly buried wires and sprinkler lines in parks (per the Park Superintendant in email :dontknow:). Maybe you could pass this along to the Eureka club?

I live north of Denver as well, so we should certainly look to go on a hunt sometime. Thanks for introducing yourself and for the local info on metal detecting. thumbsup01

My4Kiwis
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I called the parks dept in C. Springs and they said there would be no problem detecting in city parks...I'm still nervous because I don't have it writing. I sure don't want to leaving any damage either so Itend to shy away from the parks with the exception of the tot lots.

coinnut
04-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I called the parks dept in C. Springs and they said there would be no problem detecting in city parks...I'm still nervous because I don't have it writing. I sure don't want to leaving any damage either so Itend to shy away from the parks with the exception of the tot lots.

Never be nervous if you got the OK. Just tell them you asked and got the OK, if it ever comes up. The most they could do is ask you to leave. If you got a yes, go for it lol

rsarge1
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
no need to worry i hunt the parks all the time, there was only one that i have been kicked out of and that was in wheat ridge col, in fact i was in 2 or 3 denver parks today where we ran into two other fellow detectorists , the main thing is to fill in your holes and make it look as close to before you started, if you want pm me and we will hook up for a trip in fact we are planning a trip down south of denver next week :callme:

My4Kiwis
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for words...Rsarge1, I'd love to hunt with you sometime. Unfortunately we are in the middle of an adoption plus commuting to Pueblo, I have precious little time to hunt. Someday!

fastfwd
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Hello Viking!

Jack

Perfect ! I always dig plugs at least 4 inchs deep to keep the roots, myself i cut the plug clear out, lay it on a towel and also put any dirt on towel, then i replace plug and push dirt down around the edges then stomp on it. Now if the ground is very dry it is best to not dig plugs unless you have water to pour on it after replacing as it will die. I see dead plugs alot here as we have a few guys (we call the shovel brigade) This guys dig a plug like 2 inchs deep with a shovel and it always dies ! I dont dig plugs for 2 to 3 inch targets but just use a probe.

leslie(nova scotia)
05-16-2011, 10:44 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....always use a hunting knife that is somewhat sharp and makes a fine cut......drop cloth and dig the horseshoe deep. Singe bugs turn grass brown and at times crows will tear out your plug if not a deep one. Hard call.