PDA

View Full Version : Detected a shark tooth

steve in so az
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Fortunately it had a wire finding on it :) The edge of the tooth is like a razor.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/425sharktooth.jpg

Also got 62 coins, a bunch of jewelry, none precious and the omnipresent live round. Steve in so az

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/425take.jpg

Viking
04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Cool find! :shocked04: Looks like that could be a fossil shark tooth. That type of tooth is called a scapanorynchus, which is the tooth type (like how we have molars, canines, incisors, etc). Hard to say what kind of shark though. :grin:

steve in so az
04-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks viking - that's neat to know, Steve

coinnut
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice find on the tooth :clapping: We used to buy them and wrap them ourselves when we sold some items at a mall kiosk for a bit. Ours were a bit smaller and black in color. There are lots of them in the Florida area, although they are probably found just about anywhere. People eyeball them in the water while swimming at the beaches. Yours looks like a nice specimen. thumbsup01 Sharks have many rows of back up teeth, so that is why there are so many teeth around. Now go and find that nice silver chain, so it can be worn lol

Spiderwort
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Cool find! :shocked04: Looks like that could be a fossil shark tooth. That type of tooth is called a scapanorynchus, which is the tooth type (like how we have molars, canines, incisors, etc). Hard to say what kind of shark though. :grin:

Viking. Sounds like you have had some experiences with sharks teeth before. Or, are you a dentist?

Viking
04-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Viking. Sounds like you have had some experiences with sharks teeth before. Or, are you a dentist?

Nope, not a dentist. I'm a geologist, and I had a few courses on fossils back in college. Fossil shark teeth from South Dakota were particularly interesting to me for some reason. Plus, Ska-Pan-Or-Ain-Kuss is fun to say! lol

russellt
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
norseman that just might be a forum first. ive seen folks finding gold teeth but never a shark tooth.. thast awesome . and a great hunt btw

steve in so az
05-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Russell - my first one in over 30 yrs detecting, Steve