PDA

View Full Version : Mud Packed Pro Pointer Tip Kills Sensitivity, I Learned Sumpthin'

MartinL
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I learned something today. My Pro Pointer is prone to get caked up with wet dirt/mud, and I mostly just figured that the power would shoot through that new barrier, so I never made it a priority to clean it off on each hunt. Well, I was testing a telephone wire for detection of the internal wires, and it failed with the nose of the PP pressed against it. The insulated wire sang a tune on the clean side of the PP though, so I washed the crusty mud off, and the PP then detected just like the side was detecting. I've made posts about the Pro Pointer becoming less sensitive the past, and switched 9v batteries out. All this time, that barrier on the nose of the PP was simply attenuating my sensitivity to nothing most likely.

Did y'all know that? martin

coinnut
04-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Boy I am wondering if that goes for all pinpointers? I noticed that my Sunray loses sensitivity a lot, but then gets better (probably when I clean it). Mine cakes up in the mud and I think you are on to something here Martin. From now on a clean probe it is lol

CyberSage
04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Great observation Martin. I let mine get pretty caked up at times. I guess I will try and keep it more clean.

del
04-26-2011, 08:15 PM
well it only makes sense the packed dirt adds mineralization to the signal and can only hinder the probe's capabilities , right . George you probe gets a cleaning everytime you put in the jeep , have i thanked you lately for all the dirt on the backseat >:/ :hammer: :behave:

coinnut
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
George you probe gets a cleaning everytime you put in the jeep , have i thanked you lately for all the dirt on the backseat >:/ :hammer: :behave:

No need to thank me, now that I know you appreciate it, I will bring more dirt lol

RWJR13
04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I had one that would just go crazy when turned on....The caked mud had a very tiny piece of metal in it....Wasn't much mud, just enough to keep it there....

Spiderwort
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I noticed the same thing with my Sunray. I try to remember to wipe the caked dirt off the end before I hang it back on the holders.

OxShoeDrew
08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
No need to thank me, now that I know you appreciate it, I will bring more dirt lol

And I bet it gets plenty dirty as it is his primary MD lol

kingskid
12-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I have had a probe for at least 11 years now. It is the periscope from OTT technologies which unfortuneately went out of business a few years ago.