PDA

View Full Version : Misc stuff - Rain, 1830's Farm House, Gold Morgans

z118
04-28-2011, 06:32 AM
This lousy weather Spring is getting out of hand. We have had the most rain for the month of April for as long as they have kept records. Area sports are being canceled because all the fields are swampy or under water. Farmers can't plant because their fields are ponds. And I can't metal detect! Rain can really be a feast or famine thing. Funny to think of those dry spells in the Summer when all I wanted was a bit of rain to loosen up the dry earth. I have all day Saturday to detect and I was thinking about taking a long drive east, but I'd have to drive somewhere far away only to find a swamp when I got there.

In other news, I received permission to hunt an 1830's farm house in a small town. I'm a bit nervous and excited. I'm going to feel a bit funny detecting on someone's property. To this point the only yards I have hunted have been family and close friends. Hopefully I'll have some luck though.

And lastly, and thoughts on the dollar below? These have been laying around my house for some time. They were lodged in big plastic open holders with pins on the back, I assume to be worn as jewelry. Oddly enough I thought they were my wife's, but when I asked she though that they came from my family. I have a few others that I know came from my grandfather, but I'm pretty sure the ones in pins did not. At any rate, I finally got to looking at them last night, and knocked them all out of their plastic holders. Two of them had an odd tint to them which I though was just tarnish, but when I cleaned them up a little it turns out that they are actually gold colored. Anyone have any thoughts on this? My best guess is that they are real but plated somehow (perhaps gold) just for the sake of wearing as jewelry. The silver one weighs about 26.7 grams, the other two are a bit heaver (26.8 and 26.9 grams). Any insight would be appreciated.

Happy hunting...

RobW
04-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I'd say they are real, and you are right probably just gold plated for wearing as jewelry, this always a nice thing to have.

coinnut
04-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Never seem a gold plated Morgan lol I agree, it's probably for the novelty of it or as a congratulations gift for someone's services (like years at work, volunteer work, etc...) Great conversation piece.
Bummer about the rain. It's hard to find time as it is to detect, but when you have a day off, all you want to do is detect. >:{ Hope it clears up a bit for you. Any old hills and mountain sides you can detect? At least it won't puddle on the side of a hill lol Good luck on the farm house. :clapping:

JTGOLD
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
some types of plastic will cause silver to turn colors like that if left in for a long time.

jkress
04-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Those are some gorgeous looking hunks of silver Z!! :smitten:
Some of the older plastic holders can cause funky toning, but the middle one suggests
some sort of gold plating. Still beautiful coins.

Too bad that the weather is not cooperating with your quest for treasures. >:( I didn't realize that
you folks in NY have been getting so much rain. On the positive side... maybe the rock hard dry spells
of summer might be pushed a little further in the season.

The farmhouse sounds very, very nice. For what it's worth... I'd much rather hunt a property that is not an
acquaintance or relative of mine. Less to think about. :yes:

Good luck on the farmhouse hunt... definitely let us know of all the oldies you find.