PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not so much a 'What' but a 'When'

jkress
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone have thoughts on a date range for this structure. From old aerial photos, it looks like it
might have been a farmhouse. :confused:
I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks might offer a possible time of construction
based on the materials used.
Thanks,
Joe

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-34.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-35.jpg

del
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Joe that looks like a great area :drool: :smitten: if its a old homestead then the barn should be within eyesight or a stones throw away . the only true way to find out its age is to use the items you find to date it but it looks early 1800's to me . get out there and make us proud :grin:

coinnut
04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
It's tough to date. I never worry about seeing cement unless the whole structure is made of it. lol Stacked field stone is a good indication it's old. I used to think cement and brick were not that old until I learned colonials had bricks, and I think cement was invented by the romans lol I'm gonna guess 1830's. :dontknow: Like Dan said, make us relic hunters proud :drool:

jkress
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Thank you gentlemen. :yes:
If you guys are correct, or close to correct... I might just get into some oldies. :daydream:
I better focus on this area before the grass and weeds start getting to high.
Maybe I will give it a test run tomorrow morning. :yes:
Do you guys have better luck with smaller coils in areas like this for better maneuverability?

del
04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
its easiest to start at around where the iron nulls and chatter drops down and work the outer edge and out some more with the standard coil Joe . don't be afraid to venture out aways from the structure and pay close attention to details , old grown over worn paths , smaller structures or just points of interests . everything closer is better to use a smaller coil slowly and try to work those ratty sounding signals into good sounding ones and be patient the finds are there .

Dan

zrickkid
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Good luck man!! :drool:

JTGOLD
04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
looks like a great place to hunt,go for it.

milco
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Very cool site! Knowing what part of the world you are in I would say 1850's-60's vintage. I am very famliar with land records and how to do the research so if I can help send me a pm.

jkress
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Very cool site! Knowing what part of the world you are in I would say 1850's-60's vintage. I am very famliar with land records and how to do the research so if I can help send me a pm.

Thanks Darren and I will. thumbsup01

BOWSER
05-09-2011, 08:11 PM
i concur.

Kim
06-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I like it!!