PDA

View Full Version : Painful Silver Skunking

z118
04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
As the family was out of town I had all day Saturday for detecting. At the last minute I decided to take a chance and make a 120 mile drive to a park where I had hunted twice last summer. The second time was with Catskill Comics and I had good results, scoring a V nickel, a barber dime, a merc, a Rosie, a silver Washington quarter, an old silver pin, and a mess of wheats. I posted the results from that trip here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=3033.msg31694#msg31694

I knew these good result were due to little more than spectacular luck, but I was hoping that if I hit this spot again some more silver might turn up... the hope of a Barber or any kind of silver other than the usual Rosie or Merc made the long drive seem worth while.

Well... it was a bust. Conditions were not great, but they were not so bad as to keep me from swinging. Long story short, after a five hour hunt I had pulled a measly 20 coins total. Seven of those coins were wheats... among the dates I can read - 1914, 1919, 1920, 1938, and 1944. I also scored a dateless Buffalo nickel. But no silver. It's frustrating to pull 8 older coins without any silver. I am disappointed and feeling a bit foolish for wasting all that time driving and money on gas and tolls only to come home with some beat up wheats and a Buff. Still, the weather was beautiful, and I did have a nice time hunting. If nothing else I know not to go out of my way to hit this spot again. I had high hopes, but what can you do? They can't all be winnners...

I have no idea what the middle item in the top row is. My best guess is a mutilated wheat penny.

Happy Hunting...

coinnut
04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Ouch! lol We all go on long drives for little gain sometimes :dontknow: It's just fun to get away from the normal detecting area. You did good, with them coins. No silver makes it feel like you didn't, but it was a day away from work lol We have driven 1-2 hours each way and been skunked, so don't feel bad. Gotta try it, or it would be eating at you I wonder if I would have found silver and gold if I drove to that park today rofl Just add them to the years totals and enjoy them when the year is over and all them coins are spread out. :shocked04: thumbsup01