PDA

View Full Version : Park find has me looking for a ring owner

v3ikid
04-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I worked overtime today. >{ But afterwards went back to the park to see if the correlate program could find some more goodies. I just started digging all pulltab signals and was expecting pulltabs. lol I dug 13 coins 21 Pulltabs and 25 pieces of aluminum cans. I decided to hit the tot lot before i left since everyone had cleared out later in the afternoon and hit a pulltab signal that turned out to be what appears to be a 10k white gold ring. It is a kids ring. It has a name on it, one side has Abigail the other is Kristopher. Haven't had any luck on this last name in this area yet but i'm still trying.

When i dug it i thought it was silver but after getting home and cleaning it off it turns out to be Gold. It is a very nice ring and i'm sure somewhere a kids parents are wishing they had it back. I got some research to do to find the owner.

Does anyone know what the OG on the ring stands for?

Thanks for looking

mike l
04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Real nice ring, good luck finding the owner. I'm still trying to find the owner of a class ring I found last fall :thinkingabout:

hockeyguy
04-30-2011, 10:40 PM
if you're digging pull tabs and found this, why would you think it's silver? I would imagine if it was silver, it would have come up like a dime. If it came up as pulltab, I would imagine gold....no?

v3ikid
05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
The reason i thought it was silver initially was just because of the color without looking at the markings. The second reason was because the last .925 silver ring I dug was at
1 1/2 deep and the VDI was bouncing from +30 to +42 and hit really hard on the 7.5 frequency. I definatly figured that one to be a pulltab. I've been going for the pulltab range to try to find gold so gold was the goal.

I have no idea why a .925 silver ring would ring up in the pulltab range and hit on the copper frequency harder. I remember I dug another ring with the MXT years ago that was a solid 60 on the VDI. So i do know that silver rings don't always hit in the silver range.

I read someplace about gold rings ringing up as they do. From what i can tell size of the ring, Karat and other metal composition of the ring will all change the readings from foil range to the mid 50's on the whites machines. I assume to some degree silver is the same way. Since .925 is .925 i would think that would not be much of a factor but i do know that size of a silver ring will change the VDI in the ground.

I don't have much experience in the gold ring area so i'm sure others would know more about the in's and outs of that. My only approach is to dig anything in the pulltab range. This one just happened to pay off.

As far as the silver rings I have dug them from +30 to the silver range. Early on in this hobby i was not keen to dig so many pull tabs and would have walked by the last 3 rings that i have found. A sterling silver ring, a .925 silver ring and a 10k white gold ring.

I'm starting not to hate the pulltabs so much lol because they are producing rings.

JTGOLD
05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
nice looking ring,gg.

coinnut
05-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Great looking ring. I think it's a mother's ring?? A stone for eack kid. Is it white colored (white gold?) As for the OG? I don't think that is an American mark for gold :confused: Maybe a foreign mark of some sorts. Never heard of OG. Could be the maker's mark, but that's a long shot. :dontknow: I'm not sure you will find out who owned it. Be careful if you do ask around. Don't give any info on it to anyone, not the style, not the kid's names or the OG, not even that it is a ring. Let them tell you everything about it before they can claim it. I would look in the paper under lost and found and if it didn't appear there, I would keep it. It's a great thing that you want to return it, but only if it actually goes back to the owner and not someone trying to get a free ring lol Nice job.

v3ikid
05-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Coinnut, I think you nailed it. The two different colored stones should have made me realize it. 8/. I guess that is why the names were not bringing anything up. It was two FIRST names. I will make a trip to the local Jeweler to see if they have records. Thanks.