PDA

View Full Version : Recon in the Woods and other finds

milco
05-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Went out in the fields and the woods on a little recon trip looking for two cellar holes. I was not successful in my search but did enjoy some nice weather and a great hike. Did not find much but some shotgun and .22 shells, and a little modern trash.

Then I went back to the spot where I found the Barber dime and found a nice 1905 IH and a badly corroded wheat. Last stop was to one of my regular parks where I came up with a war nickel and three more wheat cents, the 1920 & 1923 were in the same hole.

JTGOLD
05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
good hunt and nice pic's.

coinnut
05-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Nice finds from the places you did get to detect on. :clapping: Cellar holes are weird sometimes. They may be built on grade and have no hole, or just a bit off of the real location and you won't find them. Always take extra time to look at the map and place them as accurately as you can. Then when looking for them, look for anything out of the ordinary, like a big tree in the distance, or apple trees in the woods, or some other strange ground foliage. But if you find the well, you are there - hole or no hole lol Hope you try again on them cellar holes.

hockeyguy
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
That's one of the nicest IH's I have seen here......great find!

aloldstuff
05-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Wheats and silver, can't ask for more. Great hunt