PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Button Question

Ill Digger
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I know it's a button :rolleyes: lol But I'm curious if anyone recognizes the back marks :->
It looks like S & J WATURBURY CT . to me. But I can't seem to find a timeline for those marks. :dontknow:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0683.jpg

I've also never seen/noticed a eagle button with this object above it's head before either :thinkingabout:
Does anyone know anything about this? To me it looks like a sun with rays coming off of it.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0681.jpg

Just because I've never seen one isn't saying much :rolleyes: This is only my third eagle button and it's the smallest one yet :shocked04:stretcher:
Would this be a collar button? Or cuff button maybe? I don't know :confused: It's small ! :yes:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0680.jpg

del
05-02-2011, 02:34 PM
hey Tim i don't see the exact backmark either but it can't be any older than 1902 , thats when the great seal button was first introduced as the official Army button . your smaller button is indeed a cuff sized one and the info about the design on the great seal is this ...

The design on the obverse (or front) of the seal is the coat of arms of the United States. The shield, though sometimes drawn incorrectly, has two main differences from the American :usaflag:. First, it has no stars on the blue chief (though other arms based on it do: the chief of the arms of the United States Senate may show 13 or 50, and the shield of the 9/11 Commission has, sometimes, 50 mullets on the chief). Second, unlike the American :usaflag:, the outermost stripes are white, not red; so as not to violate the heraldic rule of tincture.

The supporter of the shield is a bald eagle with its wings outstretched (or displayed, in heraldic terms). From the eagle's perspective, it holds a bundle of 13 arrows in its left talon, (referring to the 13 original states), and an olive branch in its right talon, together symbolizing that the United States of America has a strong desire for peace, but will always be ready for war. (see Olive Branch Petition). Although not specified by law, the olive branch is usually depicted with 13 leaves and 13 olives, again representing the 13 original states. The eagle has its head turned towards the olive branch, said to symbolize a preference for peace. In its beak, the eagle clutches a scroll with the motto E pluribus unum (&quot:daydream:ut of Many, One). Over its head there appears a glory with 13 mullets (stars) on a blue field. In the current (and several previous) dies of the great seal, the 13 stars above the eagle are arranged in rows of 1-4-3-4-1, forming a six-pointed star.

hope this helps

JTGOLD
05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I found one of thoes buttons two weeks ago at an old farm site.don't know anything about buttons thoe.compared to a dime mine is the same size as yours.

zrickkid
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Cool find Tim.

Ill Digger
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info Dan |:confused:) I was hoping that it would've been about 60 years older than that lol

I found one of thoes buttons two weeks ago at an old farm site.don't know anything about buttons thoe.compared to a dime mine is the same size as yours.
Nice! Your looks a little better than mine :rolleyes: lol I guess we both learned something thumbsup01 I also learned that we're not in the right place that we're looking for 8/ This button is to new :thinkingabout:

Cool find Tim.
Thanks Rick thumbsup01

POKIE73
12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
hey tim this dennis i have just seen the button you had trying to find out anything about i have the exact same one did you ever find any info on it dennis

CODY
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Nice thumbsup01

fyrffytr1
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Hey Y'all,
I have been reading a lot of the threads on this forum and have to hand it to Del, he really knows his stuff.
If I might elaborate on this button a little, I believe it is made by Johnson & Steele. It also looks like it would have black enamel paint on it which goes along with the back mark. That would date it from 1910-1923.
In case you are wondering, I got my information from this book:
American Military Button Makers and Dealers;
Their Backmarks & Dates
William F. McGuinn
and
Bruce S. Bazelon

CODY
01-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Heres a couple I found.

fyrffytr1
01-07-2012, 11:49 PM
The button on the left is the first variety made and dates from 1902-1910. Backmarks would help in dating the them both.

Ill Digger
01-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey Y'all,
I have been reading a lot of the threads on this forum and have to hand it to Del, he really knows his stuff.
If I might elaborate on this button a little, I believe it is made by Johnson & Steele. It also looks like it would have black enamel paint on it which goes along with the back mark. That would date it from 1910-1923.
Hey fyrffyter1 :groovy:
You got that right! Dan is the man! He and his knowledge are invaluable ! :yes: |:confused:) We just love him :smitten: (pinching his cheek emoticon here) lol
Thanks for the info thumbsup01 Thats probably what it says. It's in pretty rough shape :dontknow: lol
Welcome to the forum! :grin:

fyrffytr1
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
The button on the left is the first variety made and dates from 1902-1910. Backmarks would help in dating the them both.

Cody,
I may have jumped the gun on your ID. After looking at the one on the left it may well be a collar disc. Does it have a screw type stud on the back? If so it is not a button. It would go on one side of the collar.

Full Metal Digger
01-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey Tim, I recognize that find. It's a button, commonly called an Eagle button. :poke: No need to thank me. It's what I do. :kiss:

Ill Digger
01-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Hey Tim, I recognize that find. It's a button, commonly called an Eagle button. :poke: No need to thank me. It's what I do. :kiss:
:rolleyes: Oh thanks all knowing. |:confused:) :thumbsdown: lol