PDA

View Full Version : Penneys, Vichy Franc, Silver

z118
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I got out tonight for a weird hunt. I hit the private school I've been hunting lately. It's given up 18 wheats now and no silver yet. I was hoping to find some tonight, if only a Rosie, but no luck. It's still been raining dang near every day, so conditions were lousy. I'm getting pretty tired of hunting in mud. The E-trac was cranky... I had to keep lowering sensitivity to get it to behave until I just gave in and switched to auto. Almost all of the targets I dug gave nasty signals - broken and inconsistent. Maybe it was the wet grass or mud all over everything? I wound up with 34 coins total worth a sorry $1.85. I dug one more wheat, a 1951 Canadian penny, and oddly enough a 1944 Vichy Franc. The Franc is a cool find, and believe it or not my second - I found the first (dated 1942) two summers ago at a different school. Other finds included a Parker pen, two Boy Scout woggles, a junk ring, a JC Penney's item which I do believe is from 1964-70, and lastly a small sterling silver dolphin pendant. Like I said, kind of a weird hunt, but I'll take it. The next week is a busy one for me so there likely won't be much time for detecting.

Here's and interesting link for all you ever wanted to know about the JC Penney's logo:

[url=http://reviews.ebay.com/Dating-of-J-C-Penney-labels-amp-house-brands_W0QQugidZ10000000008363198]http://reviews.ebay.com/Dating-of-J-C-Penney-labels-amp-house-brands_W0QQugidZ1000000000836319:dontknow:/url]

Happy hunting!

coinnut
05-02-2011, 08:56 PM
What do you mean...you got silver :clapping: That Dolphin charm. The E trac doesn't like rain on the surface of the ground. At least mine doesn't. lol But when the surface dries up, it behaves much better. I usually switch to auto+3 or just go as high as I can tolerate on the Manual level. I always dig any, mostly repeatable signal, especially if deep and the numbers bounce to the FE 12 line every once in a while. But you still had a good hunt, minus the mud. lol I look that way everytime I relic hunt rofl

jkress
05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Nice bunch of finds Z! :clapping:
Love the '44 Franc. Definitely a great one for the collection.
Congrats and I hope it dries out for you there soon. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
05-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Keep hitting that school, silver lurks there

JTGOLD
05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
good bunch of finds,gg.