PDA

View Full Version : Tips for finding lost wedding band

Viking
05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
An email was passed onto me from a friend who had received a mass email from one of her associates, which basically said my husband lost his wedding band in our community garden last night, does anyone know anybody who owns a metal detector? I have responded saying that I'd be glad to help after work, so we'll see if they take me up on it.

Anyways, if I end up going over there, does anyone have any tips for quickly finding a recently lost ring (obviously on or near the surface). I have an E-trac and was wondering what kind of settings to use for such a specific hunt. I run my discrimination pretty wide open, so I shouldn't have a problem there, but how much sensitivity should I use? Not very much because I don't want to get a masked signal from something 6+ deep, or stick with high sensitivity?

Thanks for the tips! I figured many of you have rescued wedding bands before, but this could be a first for me.

LIBear
05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello Viking,

There is a website called www.lostmystuff.net (http://www.lostmystuff.net) that is a free site where detectorists look for lost items . Have them check this out. :perfect10:

steve in so az
05-03-2011, 02:30 PM
V- I have found several rings for people, one wa also in a garden. I asked the gal where she was when she first realized it was missing and started there. Dug it in about 4 minutes.

Other times I have noticed that people say the item was lost in a certain area while it was found further away. One guy was playing with his dog and lost it. I found it about 20 feet away from where he said it should be. Good luck, Steve in so az

Epi-hunter
05-03-2011, 05:31 PM
It's probably too late to be much help since you are likely already there, but just in case.... I would leave the discrimination open except maybe the iron, put the sensitivity on auto and just investigate any mid-tone. It should be quick to investigate all targets if it's on the surface. Unless he accidentally buried it in the garden. :)

As Steve mentioned, it may be nowhere near where he thinks he lost it. I have yet to find a lost item for anyone which ended up being anywhere near where they said they were sure they lost it. :)

coinnut
05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I would set the machine to auto sensitivity and check another ring to see how much depth it is getting. Ifnot enough go auto +1. Also use the standard coins mode. It has enough discrimination so than almost none of the iron will bleed through and along with auto sensitivity, you should be all set to just hear the FE12 line targets. Try and determine how big the ring is and about where it should come in at. Work an area that they think they lost it at and then expand the area if not successful. But first have them tell you the story and ask a lot of questions like could you have lost it earlier and not noticed? Are you sure you didn't do anything else in the yard besides where you think you lost the ring? The reason I say this, is because I found an Emerald ring for a co-worker in her yard and it was about 20 feet from where she thought she lost it. Then she remembered the dog ran to the other side of the tree as she was giving him a bath. So it may be a bit away from where they think it is. Be patient, grid an area and expand it as you go. I didn't dig any signals. I just looked in the grass with my fingers and use probe if you have one. It should be no lower the the grass roots, unless stepped on. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Viking
05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up not being called into service. I think the couple had found a coin collector who had a metal detector of some kind that they were able to borrow. Being that my phone never rang, I'm guessing that they recovered the ring.

I'm sure this won't be the last time an issue like this comes up, so again, thanks for your input! :clapping:

Bedrock
05-04-2011, 03:14 PM
My hunting partner found a platinum wedding ring for a man last summer. It was 20 feet away from where he was absolutely positive he lost it. I was there while the search was going on. As others have said before me, be wary of assurances as to the exact spot where the ring was supposed to be lost. After you have thoroughly gone over the spot and not found the ring, expand your search based on the previous or later movements of the person who lost it. Good luck. It is really a good feeling to see the happiness of the person when they are reunited with something they value very much.

russellt
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
i have been asked to locate lost items 3 times . and all 3 times i found the lost item.. and all 3 times i denied the offered reward. just makes you feel good!!!!!!keep swingin

fogcity
05-14-2011, 10:01 AM
That's for sure !!!

And that's the whole reason for being of the Lost My Stuff Group mentioned above!!!

:) :) :)

jkress
05-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Too bad you didn't get a chance to find it Viking.
I've been on two such hunts. Each time the rings were found outside of the area they said it should be... guess that's why they were still lost.
Nice of you to offer your services. thumbsup01

leslie(nova scotia)
05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....did you find it? Have to check the forum again. <;)