PDA

View Full Version : Mid America ghost towns

steve in so az
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
So I'm reading a book about mid American states in the late 1800's & early 1900's. And this startling fact pops up !

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/abhouses2.jpg

All those long gone villages, towns, etc. - are you all checking into this ? It seems like there should be one for every 10-20 miles in most states. Go to a library, find the books on them, lay out a plan. Ask the librarian for help finding info. With so many sites waiting for you it seems like one cannot go wrong.

We have been to probably 50-60 sites in Az & N M and I can tell you there's nothing quite like being the one to find the goodies. Think old foundations, dump sites, roads along & into places, things out of place, etc. And if a site is in a well known book on ghost towns don't go there. No doubt other hunters have been there before you. Find the not well known ones. Feel free to write me and ask anything about this.

Good luck, Steve in so az

RobW
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd abandon Iowa too lol

I think Detroit is up for grabs... 8/

Not too much of that out east. Though I have heard of a village near me that no longer exists at the foot of a particular mountain...problem is, it's state land now.

coinnut
05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I think the further out west you go, the better chance you have of finding some of them sites. The ones around here are mostly gobbled up and built on, and the few that I know of that remained, are strictly off limits. State owned and posted heavily :dontknow: I hope you get some goods ones from that book Steve, It is that kind of information that can lead to an undetected site. thumbsup01 Wouldn't that be sweet lol

russellt
05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
lots of ghost towns abound . take the time to talk to librarians.. and it will pay off