PDA

View Full Version : Is This Smart Guy Right?

MartinL
05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I asked one of the gurus a question a long while back(another discussion board) about losing sound during pinpoint while still having activity in the three color bars along with varying depth responses on the display...Is this possible? I asked. His answer was,

If you are running settings where the Tone ID = 0 for ferrous targets, and you are running in Salt Comp or Normal 3F with Salt Soil selected, then you may well have visible target indications with no audio.

Tell me, &quot:grin:shocked04:es pinpoint mode care if you have tone ID set to zero on anything in disc mode? martin

coinnut
05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
lol I tried to find an answer for you, so I downloaded the manual. I couldn't find any talk about pinpointing and how it is affected or not affected by the discrimination channel :dontknow: So my answer is.... wait until Jack or Yazoo or someone else can tell you rofl I skimmed through the 60 + pages and have no clue :dontknow:

CyberSage
05-05-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't know how this would have any bearing on pinpoint mode. It often takes me a couple of tries to get a good pin point VCO response happening on deeper targets ( 8 to 10 inches). Iron wrapping will do this readily (this is a good thing). This is all about detuning in mineralized soil. Some of this is only related to the V3i, so I can't answer for this, but it seems like a stretch to me. Who was the guru? feel free to speak openly here. We might learn something new. Good post Martin.

Jack

yazoo
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I use a tone of 5 on ferrous and do not accept-85 to -94 due to ground phase in that area and experienced the same thing. Watching findmall forum myself for a answer. All targets that I have went a head and dug turned out to be bits of iron.I just take it as a ignore signal at this time. I do try it from several angles to make sure of repeats or a possible good target in close.A feller over at the other place got his detector replaced from Whites and waiting to receive it to see if it still has that glitch if it does not I will be getting in touch with Sweet Home also. That's the best I can add at this time. Yazoo

v3ikid
05-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I've had my pinpoint show a reading with no sound but it happens if i ground balance in a certain spot or if i'm just messing around using the pinpoint for a search mode. I can't say that i have ever had it happen trying to locate a good signal. I just assumed it was deep iron when it happens beings that it reads deep when it does it. I'll have to pay more attention to it and investigate and do some digging when i'm able. I'll have to wait until i get to a field or lot where i can dig really deep. I'm sure people in the park would frown on a 2' hole for a water line or hubcap. lol Now if it was a Morgan they could frown all they want cause i'd dig em. :yes:

coinnut
05-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Can you run all metal and have tone ID on at the same time?? If so, can you set certain targets to zero? Then you would have no sound on a target that is accepted and displayed, but no audio? Is that possible guys? Also something in the back of my mind about how White's (and others) canceled out the low end of the + side (like 0 - +7 as a salt reject. So even if you accept this, it is rejected by the ground tracking (balance). I believe it may also go into the negative numbers a bit too.

MartinL
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Can you run all metal and have tone ID on at the same time?? If so, can you set certain targets to zero? Then you would have no sound on a target that is accepted and displayed, but no audio? Is that possible guys? Also something in the back of my mind about how White's (and others) canceled out the low end of the + side (like 0 - +7 as a salt reject. So even if you accept this, it is rejected by the ground tracking (balance). I believe it may also go into the negative numbers a bit too.

Can you run all metal and have tone ID on at the same time??

That was my basic point...AM should be wide open no matter the disc sound settings. No, there is no VDI audio settings for all metal. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I do have my negative numbers set to zero, but I loaded the factory C&J program and tried it and it still loses sound on some targets in PP. These targets aren't always the most solid targets in search, but there is tone when searching, tone that has delivered real targets at other times when PP tone is there. I even set all VDI tones to zero, positive and negative, and PP/tone still worked. The smart guy who made that statement was obviously not focusing on AM, or I maybe said it a little un-clearly. I did squeeze that question in an on-going thread about falsing, so that could have been my fault.

I keep saying this, sorry, How can disc search make it's noise when hitting a possible target, and PP register the 3 freq bar activity and depth reading, but drop the audio? I sent a question to Whites in Oregon about that event, because to me...if the freq bars flash and the depth(5-6-7-8 fluxuations) are there, How can it even be possible to drop the audio? It logically seems impossible unless there is a flaw in the machine. If you could silence the audio on the fly with a built-in feature of the V3i, then I could accept the possibility as understandable. martin

coinnut
05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
That machine has so many settings, I'm not sure what is possible lol Maybe there is a way to silence it. :dontknow: But I would wait for Whites' to answer it for you, or just quote and re-ask your question there. Or just PM the guy and ask him if he means All Metal?? That would be the easiest way to get an answer from him.

rcasio44
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
All metal mode (in search audio) is an all metal mode with an SAT filter applied. Pinpoint is the same thing, except there is no SAT. Tone ID will have no effect in either of these. So, if you pull the trigger to be in pinpoint, you can listen to the ground to find where there are no targets. Then balance (and the audio during your balance is also in all metal - no SAT). The only time tone ID will affect audio is during the discriminate audio mode.

Now who is the guru so we can hear his explanation?