PDA

View Full Version : Alright Angellionel let's discuss deep silver sounds and what you listen for..

Jack Flynn
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I've not read anywhere this topic discussed. What do you listen for or look for on the readouts? How do you decide that there is more than likely something there to dig? Tell us how you detect in other words. I know a lot are itching to know. Please be specific. Write us a book if you are bored we will listen and try it. Thanks.....

angellionel
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I've not read anywhere this topic discussed. What do you listen for or look for on the readouts? How do you decide that there is more than likely something there to dig? Tell us how you detect in other words. I know a lot are itching to know. Please be specific. Write us a book if you are bored we will listen and try it. Thanks.....

Sorry for the tardy reply, Jack. You know, when I first read your question I kept scratching my head thinking as to how to best provide an answer, but, for me at least, it isn't that easy. Trying to explain what it is I listen for - translating it into words - may not carry as well as allowing someone to hear what it is I am looking for when trying to listen for a deep target's signal. I'll do my best to provide some helpful information though. And of course, others can share from their wealth of experience as well. We all learn from each other after all. thumbsup01

There are quite a few variables that one would have to take into consideration when touching on this subject, and I list them in no specific order:

1) Soil mineralization
2) Iron
3) Trash density
4) Soil moisture or lack thereof
5) Discrimination level
6) The detector in use
7) The operator

All of the above will tend to have an impact on one's ability to recognize the signal of a desirable deep target. Having said that, I'll try to briefly explain what it is I personally listen for while using the E-Trac, applying it primarily to what has been my main target - silver coins.

There is one very important point one needs to keep in mind, and that is that the sensitivity setting can be our friend, as well as our enemy. Too much of it while working an area containing highly mineralized soil will tend to drown out the deep signal of a desirable coin, and too little may not allow the machine to properly lock onto such a target. That's why it is important to become very familiarized with the specific machine being used, the settings, the way the machine reacts under certain conditions, both in all-metal and discrimination mode.

The signals I listen for when seeking deep targets are not the classical ones we may be familiar with. Such tones will be at the cusp, or limit, of the detector's maximum depth capabilities. They are not easy to hear, and will often sound much like trash or some iron would. The tone/signal will tend to be broken, sputtery, or as I refer to it when using the DFX, a crackle. The Fe numbers will vary greatly, tending toward the higher 14 through 26 numbers. The Co numbers too will vary, though not as broadly. The tone may or may not be repeatable from all directions, but will tend to be consistent once the machine locks onto the target. The machine is simply indicating that there is metal under the coil. It will be up to the user to decide, based on his knowledge and experience, if it is ferrous or non-ferrous, and if the target is worth digging. That's really it.

The best advise I can give is for one to become familiar with his/her machine, trying different settings and sensitivity levels on targets not yet dug up, and digging as many of such targets as your patience allows. The exercise will more than pay for itself.

I hope that helps, Jack. :)

deltacornbread
01-09-2010, 01:09 AM
The signals I listen for when seeking deep targets are not the classical ones we may be familiar with. Such tones will be at the cusp, or limit, of the detector's maximum depth capabilities. They are not easy to hear, and will often sound much like trash or some iron would. The tone/signal will tend to be broken, sputtery, or as I refer to it when using the DFX, a crackle. The Fe numbers will vary greatly, tending toward the higher 14 through 26 numbers. The Co numbers too will vary, though not as broadly. The tone may or may not be repeatable from all directions, but will tend to be consistent once the machine locks onto the target. The machine is simply indicating that there is metal under the coil. It will be up to the user to decide, based on his knowledge and experience, if it is ferrous or non-ferrous, and if the target is worth digging. That's really it.

The best advise I can give is for one to become familiar with his/her machine, trying different settings and sensitivity levels on targets not yet dug up, and digging as many of such targets as your patience allows. The exercise will more than pay for itself.

I hope that helps, Jack. :)
[/quote]

I agree with your assessment. Especially the part about digging as many of such targets as your patience allows. This means you ain't covering much ground. But, my intentions are to learn this machine and for now that means digging. I think in the long run it is better to go ahead and spend some time digging iffy signals and learn the machine vs skipping over them. I have found some good coins deep that started out as inconsistent signals. And with time and experience I think I will be able to tell the difference. Time will tell.

Jason in Enid
01-09-2010, 09:15 PM
But where does the E-Trac register these broken signals on the depth scale? So far, all my broken signals have been in the top 5 or 6 inches, so I haven't messed with them unless they seemed just a little different than the typical iron.

angellionel
01-09-2010, 09:37 PM
But where does the E-Trac register these broken signals on the depth scale? So far, all my broken signals have been in the top 5 or 6 inches, so I haven't messed with them unless they seemed just a little different than the typical iron.

That will be dependent on the site, given some of the variables I mentioned, particularly soil mineralization and trash density. I have had deep dimes hit strongly at some sites, while similarly deep dimes at other sites gave off more of a sputtery type signal.

If you are working parks known to have yielded old coins I would not pass off any deep sounding targets, particularly if hitting on them at the same spot when using both discrimination and all-metal pinpointing. Iron tends to pinpoint off-spot while in all-metal.

deltacornbread
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM

In my somewhat limited experience I have found that targets in trashy ground at the depth you are talking about generally give a good signal. That said I have gotten iffy signals at these depths and changed directions and get a good signal. The deep signals I was talking about were 8+ inches. And some of them were only good in one direction. But some have turned out to be good, so I will dig. I reckon it goes back to how much are you willing to dig?

Epi-hunter
01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
As Angel said, if you are in an area where there is potential for very old finds, definitely DIG EVERYTHING that is not shallow. Even if it sounds 'iffy'. Not only will you come away with some great finds, but you will learn a lot about your machine in the process.

In CT this past fall I dug a barber dime that was around twelve inches, and it sounded pretty terrible, at least in terms of a repeatable, solid signal with solid Fe and Co numbers. In fact I had to really work to hear it at all. Even had I been using a slow-to-normal swing speed for the E-trac, I would have walked right over it... had I not been moving VERY slowly. It was hard to isolate and the Fe and Co numbers jumped quite a bit.... but they jumped consistently, if that makes sense. They tended, overall, on average, to fall roughly within the range of what I would expect a silver dime to fall, even though looked at individually they were all over the place. And there was a definite high silver tone to be heard, but again, it was faint, crackly, and hard to isolate. But it pinpointed pretty much dead on from all directions. I think if you dig a few of these targets you will learn much. I had the distinct advantage of detecting with Angel and being able to pick his brain and listen when he found targets to dig. It's hard to describe it in words.

Jason in Enid
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't know if this applies to deep targetss, but I noticed something on my last hunt.

I got one of those snippy, broken tones that is usually an iron false. But, as always, I stopped an checked it out further. Now, even though this ws a HORRIBLE signal, it seemed that after I swung the coil over it a few times the machine suddenly said &quot:daydream:h, this is a coin here and it came in nice and clear. I was using a very slow sweep over the spot. It wasn't old, but it was a coin in a very iron infested spot.

Has anyone else noticed this happen to them?

angellionel
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't know if this applies to deep targetss, but I noticed something on my last hunt.

I got one of those snippy, broken tones that is usually an iron false. But, as always, I stopped an checked it out further. Now, even though this ws a HORRIBLE signal, it seemed that after I swung the coil over it a few times the machine suddenly said &quot:daydream:h, this is a coin here and it came in nice and clear. I was using a very slow sweep over the spot. It wasn't old, but it was a coin in a very iron infested spot.

Has anyone else noticed this happen to them?

That's the type of signal that can be easily overlooked when detecting in a hurry or when working a highly trashy or iron loaded area.

Yes, that is what I look for when detecting trashy sites. The key is to slowly work the area. It isn't until the coil is hovered over the target while slowly sweeping from various angles that the machine finally gets a good lock on the target, ignoring the nearby trash. The initial signal(s) may indeed sound terrible, but once the machine is allowed to focus on the target the signal and the numbers do start to come in cleaner and much more consistent. The challenge at that point will be to pinpoint as accurately as possible, given the surrounding trash, in order to avoid scratching the desirable target while digging.

Exploreruser
09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I know I'm just an Explorer user :rolleyes: But one thing Ive learned to do with a very deep target over 8 inches is to switch over to all metal -16 & recheck the target, usally if its iron it will tend to jump over to the far left side of the smart find screen & a good target will tend to stay on the upper right side of the screen..Iron is my worst enemy.. :bangahead01:...But this seems to help me some from digging that nail at 10 inches.. lol..My success is no where near Angels :), but I suppose any tips help..

midas
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
The ETrac Angel uses is for show only. Actually he uses his PSYCHIC Abilities (dowsing powers) to zero in on the silver. lol, lol, :angelic:

del
10-06-2010, 03:02 AM
The ETrac Angel uses is for show only. Actually he uses his PSYCHIC Abilities (dowsing powers) to zero in on the silver. lol, lol, :angelic:

finally someone speaks the trueth and down to the heart of the here say and rumors with some credibility too on this mysterious subject .I KNEW IT , I KNEW IT . :eyebrow: :eyebrow: i for one have suspected this very thing for years Midas and thinking about this can drive a guy crazy . lol lol rofl rofl lol

angellionel
10-06-2010, 08:52 AM
finally someone speaks the trueth and down to the heart of the here say and rumors with some credibility too on this mysterious subject .I KNEW IT , I KNEW IT . :eyebrow: :eyebrow: i for one have suspected this very thing for years Midas and thinking about this can drive a guy crazy . lol lol rofl rofl lol

lol lol

John must have seen my display off during one of our hunts. :cheesysmile: I better start turning on my machine from now on. lol

Jack Flynn
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote; Yes, that is what I look for when detecting trashy sites. The key is to slowly work the area. It isn't until the coil is hovered over the target while slowly sweeping from various angles that the machine finally gets a good lock on the target, ignoring the nearby trash.
Not deep silver but deep wheaties and the same broken sound and TID. Dug these at a 1901 firehouse here in town on a very short 20 minute hunt. It's not the amount you find but the rewarding ones that are a challenge at this point with me. Two wheats in the same hole about an inch apart in the 10-11 range. Signal not solid but the 12 FE gave them away even though it was very jumpy. Once, I got a 39-42 CO while studying them with the coil. Like I said the FE gave them up to me. Imagine an old voleyball court, just one pole left, you know where they enjoyed their slack time, hehehe. I've hunted over this place many times and found the easy get me coins. What I have found out in several places I hunt study study study the ground very slow and it will be rewarding. There is gonna be silver there, has to be!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/JFlynn105/2010-10-10_18-28-53_857.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/JFlynn105/2010-10-10_18-28-46_732.jpg

Diggler
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I would like to see a video of the numbers bouncing around on an iffy signal that turns out to be copper or silver. I had to take a few months off after I got my Etrac but now I want in the game!

Jack Flynn
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll try and do a video in the next few days. Should be fun! I'm headed back out now for an old lot or something of that sort.....