PDA

View Full Version : All Day Hunt With coinnut and Randy

angellionel
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Today I met up with coinnut and Randy for an all day hunt. Randy made the long trip to Connecticut and joined George and I at a park there early in the morning. We all did relatively well given the stinginess of the park we worked. The best find of the day was made by George. :drool: He should be posting his finds later.

I dug up four silver coins, a 1897 Barber dime, two mercury dimes, dated 1916 and 1943, and a 1964 Roosevelt dime.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/1897_barberdime_050611.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/silverdimes_050611.jpg

I also dug up sixteen wheat cents, one buffalo nickel, and five Indian Head cents, the best one dated 1874.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/1874_indianheadcent_050611.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/5indianheadcents_050611.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/16wheatcents_050611.jpg

The rest of the finds, a AL Smith 1928 ring, not silver though, some old buttons, a religious pendant, a cufflink, and a small sterling silver pin.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/alsmith1928ring_050611.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/miscfinds_050611.jpg

It was great to meet you Randy! Have a great and productive weekend!

HH!

coop
05-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice haul thumbsup01

coinnut
05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
That was a long day :shocked01: Nice to get out with you guys. Glad Randy did well there too :clapping: It was real slim pickins for me most of the hunt and I was in fear of getting skunked. My usual habit of switching to clad hunting when I'm getting creamed was not available today...clad was scarce too lol But you know you are in a good neighborhood when you get more bullets than wheats :shocked04: I've got a lot to learn doing parks. I'm out of my element :yes: But one tiny coin save my day :girlcry: Thank you silver Gods lol It cleaned up well and I'm hoping it makes XF 40. Not a bad little coin. :smitten:

leslie(nova scotia)
05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....can feel the excitement of that hunt all the way up here. Good finds for the group! <;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
nice day out guys! sweet silver all around!

coop
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
That was a long day :shocked01: Nice to get out with you guys. Glad Randy did well there too :clapping: It was real slim pickins for me most of the hunt and I was in fear of getting skunked. My usual habit of switching to clad hunting when I'm getting creamed was not available today...clad was scarce too lol But you know you are in a good neighborhood when you get more bullets than wheats :shocked04: I've got a lot to learn doing parks. I'm out of my element :yes: But one tiny coin save my day :girlcry: Thank you silver Gods lol It cleaned up well and I'm hoping it makes XF 40. Not a bad little coin. :smitten:
Sweet shes a solid xf thumbsup01

mike l
05-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Nothing like getting out with friends. Sweet finds for all. George that seated dime looks as good as the day it was dropped. Awesome.

pulltabsteve
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
HOLY SMOKES!! You guys had an awesome park hunt. GEORGE!!!!!! :perfect10: happydance02 :happydance01: :clapping: Sweet Half Dime :beerbuddy:

wingmaster
05-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Great hunt there congrats on all the silver and IH's.

jkress
05-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Angel - Another very nice handful of keepers. Awesome dime Tri and bunch of IH's and Wheats too!! :clapping: Sounds like you guys had fun. :envious:

George - :shocked04: |:confused:) What a beautiful coin. A half dime is an awesome find and one in that condition pushes the day over the top!! Nicely done.

Congrats gentlemen. :clapping:

Ill Digger
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice bag of goodies again Angel! thumbsup01
You always seem to find a nice variety :yes:
The propeller pin is a cool little find 8) Do your remember the type of signal you got with it? Somewhere in the 30's Co? :dontknow: Or did it make it up to the 40's?

But one tiny coin save my day :girlcry: Thank you silver Gods lol It cleaned up well and I'm hoping it makes XF 40. Not a bad little coin. :smitten:
And what a coin it is!! :drool: :drool: I'm gonna say XF too :yes: thumbsup01
Sometimes it only takes one coin to make your whole day seem worth while lol :happydance01: Great find!!

Congrats guys! :grin:

z118
05-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Looks like an awesome day all around! Congrats on the great digs. I've got to try to get east this summer if I can, I'd love to get in on a hunt like that! lol

milco
05-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Awesome digs! An all dayer MDing is better than, well better than most things. Coinnut congrats on the half dime, she's a beauty!

zrickkid
05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Nice ring Angel. Al Smith was the Republican nominee for president back in 1928. He was also the first Roman Catholic to run for the office. I think that ring is a rare campaign collectible, nice find one again! :shocked04: :envious: :clapping:

hockeyguy
05-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Sweet coin George...very nice for everyone.......good to get together with the team American Detectorist

Epi-hunter
05-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Great finds everyone!! Terrific silver all around |:confused:) Angel, that is a beautiful ring, and surely worth some money :perfect10:

George, that half dime is absolutely incredible!! :perfect10: You need to post a photo of that coin next to a penny for those people who have never seen one, just to show how small it is. I can't believe you dug that tiny thing at 7 inches!!! You and the E-Trac definitely have to be in total sync to find something like that. I'll bet the tone/signal was not too great :shocked04:stretcher: Congratulations!

pulltabsteve
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Angel, heres some history on the ring in case you haven't looked it up yet.

History: Alfred E. Smith(1873-1944) was born on the East Side of New York. Before being elected to 4 terms as Governor of New York, Al Smith was, among other things, Sheriff of New York County during World War I. He is, of course, best-remembered as the Democratic nominee for President of the United States in 1928. He was the first Roman Catholic to be nominated for the office by a major party. He was defeated by Herbert Hoover in a bitter campaign marked by anti-Catholic bigotry. Alfred Smith died Oct. 9, 1944.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1928-al-smith-presidential-metal-77275303

JTGOLD
05-07-2011, 11:59 AM
awsome all day hunt and a very nice bunch of old coins, thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

coinnut
05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
George, that half dime is absolutely incredible!! :perfect10: You need to post a photo of that coin next to a penny for those people who have never seen one, just to show how small it is. I can't believe you dug that tiny thing at 7 inches!!! You and the E-Trac definitely have to be in total sync to find something like that. I'll bet the tone/signal was not too great :shocked04:stretcher: Congratulations!

It came in kinda iffy, but not too bad. It still read 12-40 fairly consistantly. But with the amount of iron that I was fooled by, I wasn't sure it was gonna be something good. The only thing that saved it was the fact that it pinpointed where it should have. Here's a picture of it next to a penny and a three cent piece I dug some years ago. Both silvers are very small and really thin.

Epi-hunter
05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
It came in kinda iffy, but not too bad. It still read 12-40 fairly consistantly. But with the amount of iron that I was fooled by, I wasn't sure it was gonna be something good. The only thing that saved it was the fact that it pinpointed where it should have. Here's a picture of it next to a penny and a three cent piece I dug some years ago. Both silvers are very small and really thin.

Yeah, they are much thinner than the penny. It's good to hear that it hit fairly solidly at 12-40 even at that depth. I need to keep that in mind; think how many of those tiny coins are in the ground. The E-Trac is really an amazing machine. Great find George!!!

angellionel
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Angel, heres some history on the ring in case you haven't looked it up yet.

History: Alfred E. Smith(1873-1944) was born on the East Side of New York. Before being elected to 4 terms as Governor of New York, Al Smith was, among other things, Sheriff of New York County during World War I. He is, of course, best-remembered as the Democratic nominee for President of the United States in 1928. He was the first Roman Catholic to be nominated for the office by a major party. He was defeated by Herbert Hoover in a bitter campaign marked by anti-Catholic bigotry. Alfred Smith died Oct. 9, 1944.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1928-al-smith-presidential-metal-77275303

Thanks Steve! thumbsup01 I hadn't had a chance to dig for some info. The above helps. :clapping:

randy
05-08-2011, 08:26 AM
It was great hunting with you guys thumbsup01, enjoyed the company and the park, but yeah, I get a bit spooked when I dig bullets too. Thanks for having me.

I did manage to score bigger silvers than George :poke:, lol but seriously, that half dime is one sweet find. Congrats :perfect10:. Angel of course was raking in the old coins, even more impressive in person than on the forum. :clapping:

I also scored a silver thimble, which isn't stamped, so it could be rather old. Its nice that it isn't crushed, and it makes one of my better silver relic finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-08-2011, 08:40 AM
what a sweet hunt! awesome job fella's! :perfect10:

coinnut
05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
It was great hunting with you guys thumbsup01, enjoyed the company and the park, but yeah, I get a bit spooked when I dig bullets too. Thanks for having me.

I did manage to score bigger silvers than George :poke:, lol but seriously, that half dime is one sweet find. Congrats :perfect10:. Angel of course was raking in the old coins, even more impressive in person than on the forum. :clapping:

I also scored a silver thimble, which isn't stamped, so it could be rather old. Its nice that it isn't crushed, and it makes one of my better silver relic finds.

Hey Randy, it was nice to meet up with you again. You did very well for a really hunted park. Finds can be sparse. :yes: Congrats on the whole silver thimble :happydance01: I was hoping you would find a trime so I could :poke: you lol Angel did his usual thing lol I'm getting used to it rofl Hopefully we can meet up again this year. Nice couple of Mercs thumbsup01

aloldstuff
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Another great hunt, congrats on all the silvers.

RobW
05-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Well, what can we say about Angel :envious:

George..... :dontknow:...you have a thing for them seated silvers this year..We know what Dan thinks about that >{...nice save on the half dime.. a beaut :loveit:

Randy....that was a heck of a haul from PA :shocked04:...nice score on the silver...hopefully you found enough clad to put back into the tank lol