PDA

View Full Version : counterstamp

hockeyguy
05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Saw this on another site.....anyone have any info on what this was for?

coinnut
05-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Is that an optical illusion or are those numbers and letters raised up? :confused: Counterstamps are sunk ino the coin with punches. Some store owners put their names on them, some are struck by silversmiths when a coin is worn out and it needs to be verified by someone trust worthy and some are just done by bored individuals. I usually find the latter one :rolleyes:

jkress
05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Is that an optical illusion or are those numbers and letters raised up?

I get initially confused on some of these as well. :confused:
Take a gander at the shadow line. Notice the edge shadow (established) of the coin first. Then check out the stamp area. If the shadow line matches that of the 'established edge shadow' you have your answer. :yes: If the shadow direction of the 'counter stamp' is in a different area... it has a different topographical value.

If the area you mentioned was raised, the shadow would be on the bottom side of the edge of the stamp.

Answer... definitely the stamp is sunk not raised. :yes: However, no idea about the stamp.

HG... I saw that posted too. Someone said possibly a coat check mark. :confused: Certainly seems possible. Although the reverse almost appears to be counter-counterstamped. lol

del
05-09-2011, 01:53 AM
hey Aaron counterstamped coins have been around since they started minting coins , to businesses it was a very cheap and effective means of promoting or advertising your trade like modern business cards do today and it got around fast because it was money. individuals marked money for various reasons ( to remember dates or events , to legitimize the currency as George said , or shear boredom) often these counterstamped coins fetch more money to collectors than the regular ones . theres a counterstamped link in the :grin: Ye Olde Relic Hunters Resource Guide in the relic finds section of the forum , i did look but didn't see this particular one though.

Dan

hockeyguy
05-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.....I think I will get a counter stamp and start advertising my business!