PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the ocean....

Snowy
01-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Krom and I both have Wednesday off so we're going to visit a place just to drive around and see a huge park we'll be hitting in the spring. There's a little beach there as well....

Low tide will be cooperating with our arrival time. We're dropping our daughter off at school at 7:30 and we'll be hightailing it to the ocean. It's supposd to be mid 30s Wednesday, so it shouldn't be too bad...

I don't expect to find anything special. We're going down to check out the little beach, scope out the area and try to meet up with fluinc if his work schedule allows.

Long day at work today, then I gotta come home and get all my gear together.... now, where did I put my long johns?!

coinnut
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Good luck to both of you, I'd take a beach hunt right about now lol Them temps must be a heat wave compared to what you have been getting?? Hope to see a nice diamond ring thumbsup01

del
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
now that we're snowed in for a while , we'll be doing some recon work for springtime hunting too. hey best of luck to ya both and dress warm.

angellionel
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
It's always exciting to detect the beach at low tide. You never know what you will come across. Yeah, wear some thermals just in case the wind picks up. :shocked04:stretcher: Let us know how you do. Have fun!

Snowy
01-05-2010, 08:15 PM
We'll let you know.

Yup... a little bit of recon for the spring. We've never been to that park before. We just don't do much beach detecting. I stumbled across the land in my research this winter. I wonder if the wind has blown some of the snow off the ground... :shocked04: I might have to test and see how frozen the ground is if I can find shallow enough snow.

Just getting in from work and gotta prep. I still can't figure out where my long johns are, but I know where Krom's are! :yes: I'll just wear a pair of his. lol I got my pair of hand-knit wool socks that are at least 50 years old (thhey came from Prince Edward Island, made by an elderly lady and used by my step-father. I inherited them when he passed. Warm little buggers, they are!) But I need a pair of fishing gloves... t-shirt, tutleneck, swearshirt and a big guy's fleece jacket. That' ought to do me!

All I want is one piece of silver. All I expect pulltabs and clad, maybe a nail or two from a sunken ship... depending on how far out in that wet sand I can go with my MXT. The Eclipse 6X9DD coil should help.

Islandhunter
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Donna...they are forecasting NW winds of only 10 knots for tomorrow...but there could be some flurries so sounds like it may be an overcast day and 34 degrees. All in all, if you dress warm enough it should make for a good day at the beach. Good luck and hope you not only find some silver but some gold as well!!! thumbsup01

Snowy
01-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks, IH. Too bad the early boat off the island is 10 AM. Would love to catch up with you as well.
Ah, well... this spring we'll spend a weekend with ya. We're gonna try to get a Friday and Saturday off so we can go sight seeing on the island Friday before we invade your home. lol Saturday we'll detect and Sunday we'll recouperate and come home. That's the plan, anyway... just gotta get a long weekend off from work. :rolleyes:

Oh... and lobster's on the menu for that night!

Snowy
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
So... it was a beautiful day out there today!
We went beach hopping and hit 4 beachers today.
It appeared lots of things had been washed ashore.
Krom and I picked up a fellow detectorist and headed to the ocean, where we later met up with flueinc.

We didn't find anything good, but the company was awesome!

Here are some pics from the day... and the junk Krom, myself and our friend found.

Oh, and flu... when we have more time to play, I'm going to take you up on your offer to try the e-trac! Thanks again!!!!

coinnut
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
What .... NO GOLD?? :poke: Was hoping you two would pull a nice ring or at least some silver. But I'm envious that you got out to play!! It helped my withdrawals a bit lol

Epi-hunter
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Terrific photos! Wow, that place looks great... I would love to have been with you! It does look cold though ;)

Snowy
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
It really wasn't too bad out there. We were dressed for it and the sun was warming. Krom even took his insulated plaid shirt/jacket type thing off. However, in the shade you could feel the cold.

There was soooo much stuff washed ashore, I couldn't believe it. Rocks and boulders and lobster traps, trap pieces, reflectors from whatever, boards/planks and some with nails in them... I found a few coins and lots of those clamp thingies in the bottom left of the pic.

we spent a good part of the time scanning an old beach that was just plain rocks and boulders .... that's where the spoon handle came from. THAT was a BEAUTIFUL area. We're going back there in the spring, for sure. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of that place for you all. I was too excited and busy. Next time.

Maybe after the next big storm we'll be able to get back down to the coast and see if it took some of the sand and junk away. January Thaw has to be coming soon!

Snowy
01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
OH!!!! Krom found this thing .... we don't know what it is.... it's to the right of the spoon handle in the finds pic...

Snowy
01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Krom also found this at the rocky beach.... we don't kow what it is.
It's 5/8's of an inch wide (a dime is bigger at 11/16's), and it's half the thickness of a dime.
Looks like it could be silver?

coinnut
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Those are two nice finds. That last one could be Spanish silver if it's silver at all. Boy the salt and sand kill them finds :ticked: Now I'm gonna stare at that disc until I see what I want lol

SpringTxDigger
01-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Beautiful beach. Looks like a fun hunt. Those last 2 pics look interesting. I'll be curious to see if anyone can figure out what they are.

SeabeeRon
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES, BEAUTIFUL BEACH!!

Looks like you let it cleaner than it was! WTG!!

del
01-08-2010, 01:03 PM
thats looks like a very good time to me Donna , the pictures are great . thats a great looking beach .

angellionel
01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Great photos, Donna! That beach looks like a great place to spend time detecting. I do think that last item is silver, though it sure has taken a beating.

coinnut
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey Donna, I'm pretty sure you got a Mercury there. The picture on the right half is the obverse. You can see miss Liberty facing left and especially her neck area.Compare it with a photo. It looks like you got it positioned perfect. The picture on the left side is the reverse and needs to be rotated counter clockwise about 1/8 of an inch. Then it looks like the banded rods with the executioner's axe on it. To the left of the rods is the greenery especially heavy around the mid point. It lines up pretty well. I told you if I stared at it long enough I'd make it fit lol Seriously, I think it's a Merc.

Snowy
01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, the beach where the silver Krom found is definitely a spot to revisit in the spring.
It certainly has taken a beating from the water/waves/rocks/boulders.
I can't wait to get to the grass areas.

Sure does look like a Merc now that you mention it, coinnut.
You've done better than I ... my eyes begin to hurt after a couple minutes!
It's so thin and small, though. So WEIRD!
At least we know there's some silver lurking. C'Mon Spring! :yes:

del
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey Donna, I'm pretty sure you got a Mercury there. I told you if I stared at it long enough I'd make it fit lol Seriously, I think it's a Merc.

Donna i think George is right , only because he's the authority on mutilated dug up ugly silver coins lol lol

Islandhunter
01-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks, IH. Too bad the early boat off the island is 10 AM. Would love to catch up with you as well.
Ah, well... this spring we'll spend a weekend with ya. We're gonna try to get a Friday and Saturday off so we can go sight seeing on the island Friday before we invade your home. lol Saturday we'll detect and Sunday we'll recouperate and come home. That's the plan, anyway... just gotta get a long weekend off from work. :rolleyes:

Oh... and lobster's on the menu for that night!

Donna...you guys are welcome anytime, especially now that I know you are bringing lobster with ya!!! ;) J/k.....I'll be sure to have some of those salt water cockroaches for you and Joe to feast on. I'll have a kettle full of bugs so we can have some left over for lobster and cheese omelettes for breakfast. I;ll also pick out a bunch of crabs so we can have crabmeat sandwiches for lunch. Oh..and the first boat off the island on sundays is at 8 not 10. Its at 6:40 a.m. all other days.

Snowy
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Donna...you guys are welcome anytime, especially now that I know you are bringing lobster with ya!!! ;) J/k.....I'll be sure to have some of those salt water cockroaches for you and Joe to feast on. I'll have a kettle full of bugs so we can have some left over for lobster and cheese omelettes for breakfast. I;ll also pick out a bunch of crabs so we can have crabmeat sandwiches for lunch. Oh..and the first boat off the island on sundays is at 8 not 10. Its at 6:40 a.m. all other days.

Well that's ONE way to make lobster unappealing! Thanks a lot!
I know you do some lobstering, but we don't mind buying them fresh from the boat.

Lobster omlets for breakfast? ICK! ... I'll take a mimosa... lol

We're planning on it this year, Bill. We've been trying to do this for 2 years now.
Every time we try to do something we get pulled away. It's time to do a little sight seeing.
Let's walk to Little Chebeague Island at low tide.... just don't get us stuck over there overnight! :shocked04:

Krom
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, I don't know. A lobby omlet sounds awesome! :grin:

Snowy
01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
This week at work has been yucky for me. Things are good, all my numbers are WAY in line, etc.... bringing in a nice black number for the company for the month...
but there are some aspects of my job that are just simply trying. Honestly... I can't even begin to understand the thought processes of some people.

It started Monday... I was calling another store's customers by tapping in via the network. My first call was horrific.
I got off the phone, let out a big sigh and said almost under my breath, I need a sick day.
Well, the boss heard me. He asked me about my time and he looked up my time off.
He inquired with me and I told him I don't take time off unless it's planned, and I always come in even if I'm sick.
He told me to take a sick day. I told him no, I plan my sick days. He told me to get out and take a break from the place. I told him I'd plan some time, but I've already got the first weekend in Feb. off for my birthday (making a 3-day weekend, Sat-Mon).

So today, I get to work, unlock the door and when I open it, the alarm is going off and the phone is ringing.
One guy called in because his babysitter backed out on him, but he'd be in... I'm sick, can't get away from the bathroom... So I tell him to stay home. No prob. We can handle it. After bickering back and forth I told him to just stay home, it'd be fine. If you're sick, you're sick. Then the boss calls. He might not make it in. Pipes froze... I told him the situation, what we had for the day and how I'd handle it so he could stay home and take care of his situation, not a prob. Under control. There are 4 employees at that location (including the boss, so now 50% of the workforce is out). Boss comes in about noon, reviews my plans, says how easy he has it because the two of us that WERE there know what we're doing (the two of us that WERE there have both run stores before, and we're training this new boss)... I walk away.... can't stand it when someone tries to blow smoke up my butt.

So the boss and I are there and he starts talking about time off, how he doesn't mind blah, blah...
I told him I'm always there, any time off I take is always planned, and he wasn't going to convince me to call in sick just so I could go bask in the sun.... so he mentions tomorrow..... gonna be 40 degrees. I told him I'd love to be at the ocean, but I'd be there instead. He told me to call in sick. No. Back and forth we go.... Ya know what? I've got days I have to use by March.... so, I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow. Krom and I are headed for the ocean first thing in the morning. It'll be high tide, but oh well.... it's time out in warm temps! Looking forward to relaxing a bit.

coinnut
01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I hope you get to relax a bit. Jobs are so stressful sometimes. And as for some people?? I'd rather talk to my cat lol Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the day! :yes:

Snowy
01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks, coinnut. Flueinc just called us so Krom's talking to him on the phone now.
We're gonna drop our daughter off at school and head down, grab a bite on the way...
prolly grab a bite on the way home and get takeout for our daughter.

I'll be sure to snag some pics for everyone.

RickO
01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Good for you Snowy...hope you find gold.... the relaxation will be great, but a super find would really top it off. RickO

Snowy
01-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I had a good day today. The ocean always makes me smile, and it was perfect... that song came on the radio as we approached it. I've always loved the ocean, even as a child. I can smell it long before it's even in sight.

I've got some pics and a story to share with you, but in the meantime, I'll share this stupid video (unedited) of us approaching Old Orchard Beach. :rolleyes:

Drive down Old Orchard Street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeLYRMkhhE#)

coinnut
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I haven't been to Old Orchard Beach in I don't know when. Probably the same amount of time for York Beach too lol I guess I need to get out more :ticked: :confused: Glad you two had a good day out!!! :)

Snowy
01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/OOBExitSign.JPG

OK... let's give this a shot....
Here are the pics.... Angellionel showed me how to post like this, so it's his fault! lol
We're approaching our exit on I95.
We get off the exit and hit Old Orchard Street.
http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/OOStSign.JPG

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/KromAndFlue.JPG
Krom and I detected for a while before flueinc caught up with us.
Krom is on the left and flue is on the right.

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/FlueAndSeagull.JPG
Flueinc had a friend for a while. This seagull (see him to the right in the picture?)
kept following flue around like he was picking up food from the sand!

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/Horses.JPG

We took a break to put something in our growling stomaches and use the rest room. Flueinc got called to work while we were eating so Krom and I headed back to the shore for a little more detecting. These horses were feeling their oats out there on the beach.

I found this earring and these dog tags today.

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/earing.JPG
http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/SamTaggif.gif
http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/MaineTag.JPG

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/SamTags.JPG
[size=13pt]So here's the story......
On the way home I grabbed a pen and paper,
then called the phone number on the tag
with the name Sam on it.
A gentleman answers. Hello, sir. I found a tag
with this phone number on it.
&quot:daydream:H, WOW! There is a stainless steel tag,
and there was at least one other tag we lost! he said.
I thought we had lost that forever!
That belonged to Sam, and the other tag we lost
was his 2010 license tag.
I told the gentleman I had found both tags,
one with Sam's name, and the other in the shape
of the state of Maine with 2010 on it.
I asked him how long ago he might have lost
the tags and he said it had to have been
within the last few weeks.

Sam has since passed away.
The gentleman was grateful and offered to
come pick up the tags, but I told him where we live
and said I'd be happy to get them
in the mail to him tomorrow.

I had a GREAT day today, even though I am saddened to learn of Sam's passing.
The gentleman I spoke with on the phone said they had tried to get Sam's tags replaced
but the place was all out of stainless steel tags at the time.
He said a few times he thought they'd never see those tags again.

When I was a very young girl, younger than 6, we had a golden retriever in the family named Sam.
Sam would always play with us and watch out for us,
and if we were ever in trouble and needed help,
Sam would bark and go get the adults. I was running around barefoot one time
and drove a spike through my foot. Sam ran to the house and barked at the door,
then ran to me when my grandmother opened the door. Sam was one of the best dogs I ever knew.
God rest his soul, and God rest the soul of the Sam I never had the chance to meet.

Here's my loot for the day. I had a great vacation day today.

http://metaldetectingmaine.com/snowysfinds/Loot.JPG

coinnut
01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, you thought you were going to have a good day? I'd say you had a great one thumbsup01 Well except for all those pull tabs lol I see we were searching for gold, were we? ;)

Snowy
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I was, coinnut.... I had to give up after a while....
And all those BEAVERTAILS! OMG!!!!

It was pulltab city out there today. I managed 3 quarters and 3 pennies. Haven't even checked them yet. They're corroded pretty bad.

Yup. It was a good day!

(EDIT: I just went to check my coins and Krom already tossed them in the clad jar thinking I had already checked them :rolleyes: )

coinnut
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Bad Joe :bop: Bad Joe :bop: :bop: :bop: There! I took care of it for you Donna lol

angellionel
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
From the photos it sure does look like the weather was great too. No doubt it was fun being out there. Very nice photos too. thumbsup01

del
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
wow Donna , very nice story about the day you all had cool way to post the pictures and text . it does look like a great day to be out working that beach .

Dan

Snowy
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks! Yeah, we were there from 9:30 to about 1:30. We got home shortly after 3. We wanted to stay but it's a drive home and it tires you after being in the sun. On the way home we saw a bank clock read 44 degrees. Sunday is supposed to halfway decent so we might go again. Not sure. The sun was almost hot on my back today.

leslie(nova scotia)
01-17-2010, 05:23 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....hope Snowy they were fur lined long johns that you found!

Krom
01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Bad Joe :bop: Bad Joe :bop: :bop: :bop: There! I took care of it for you Donna lol

Wouldn't be hard to check 'em, still, CN. My first year detecting, I filled that jar.
This year it got to half way before I had to tumble 'em and tube & cash 'em.
Right now it's only an inch deep.
No matter. I usually check th' coins real good before they go in there and after they're tumbled.

coinnut
01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Yea Joe, My jar was pretty empty for the modern stuff. I started to tumble my change from the last 10 years or so, and only had around $125.00. I don't find that much modern coinage. I guess I need to hit the playgrounds and ski slopes lol

Snowy
01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
You aren't going to believe this! Remember the dog tags I found? I got an email from the people ~ they received the tags. I sent them a note and explained about the dog Sam we had in our family, and that he was a golden retriever. I had no idea what their Sam was.... but check this out ~ Here's the email I got from the wife, and the pics she sent:
Hi Donna:
We received the dog tags yesterday. Thank you for sending them to us ....
we missed the jingle jangle sound they make (let's us know where our Jake
is at!).
We are attaching two photos. As you can see, Our Golden Samuel (Sam) was
also a Golden Retriever, just like your Sam when you were a child. Jacob
(Jake), is our newest addition and he too is a Golden Retriever. He is
much lighter in color than Sam but with the same temperament ... as is
true with all Golden Retrievers!
Once again thanks for taking the time to contact us and mailing the tags
back.
Happy metal detecting!

Snowy
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
It gets even MORE weird..... my aunt had a golden retriever named Jake.

coinnut
01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Had me a bit choked up Donna. That picture they sent you with Jake lying down looks exactly like our dog Lacey, which we had to put down last year. You caught me off guard lol We had that exact pose, but I can't find it, so here is another one of her. She is just part Golden, but looked just like that lying down. Thanks for posting that Donna :) it brings back good memories

Snowy
01-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Aww... she looks like a sweetie!

Who'da thought some simple ole dog tags could mean so much, huh?

I'm glad they had their phone number on it so the tags could be returned.

leslie(nova scotia)
01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....think I have seen that beach on a youtube vid. Glad you got out and was thinking of taking a pick axe out myself to a beach.

Snowy
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Wouldn't surprise me, Les. Old Orchard Beach is a popular one.