PDA

View Full Version : Rings with the old man

z118
05-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I had a bunch of family stuff going on this weekend, so there was not much time for detecting. My father was actually in town, and he brought with him my Sov GT which I had lent to him last summer. He has tinkered on his own with it but hasn't really gotten into the hobby. We made it out on Friday and Sunday for few short hunts. On Friday we hit an old park in the city where I have never had much luck. We dug a bit of clad and I found a cool silver ring. It's like a spinner ring but with two loose rings on it. It jingles a bit when worn and seems handmade. On Sunday we hit one of my favorite schools. My father had a hard time with the Sov there, but this time he managed to find silver - a tiny ring with two hearts. I dug the usual clad, three wheats, and what looks like an acorn finial of some sort. It was great to get out with my dad; I think he'd really get into the hobby but the Sov is a tough machine to learn on in my opinion. I keep telling him to cut his teeth in schoolyards but he's only interested in finding old coins and keeps hunting difficult spots with few targets which leads to disappointment.

Anyway, here's to better finds in the days ahead!

EDIT - forgot to mention, on Thursday we went to look at a house for sale, it was built in 1833. We won't by buying it, but danged if all I could think about was detecting the yard! Here's the listing:

http://www.nothnagle.com/Properties/Details.aspx?MLS=19&M=R156293

coinnut
05-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Sounds like that family time was fun. Glad you had a chance to detect with your dad. :clapping: He sounds like he knows what he wants to find, it's just that they old stuff is harder to find. :dontknow: I wish more people lost thinks way back when lol You did well on the hunts and that ring is a real odd one for sure. Never saw one like it. It does look home made but not sure of the reasoning behind it. :thinkingabout:

angellionel
05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice hunt Z. I definitely would add that larger silver ring to my silver ring collection. It's a neat one. :yes: If you had the chance to detect the yard at that house and started finding keepers, you would never leave. lol

Epi-hunter
05-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Very nice time with your dad :yes: It sounds like he is learning the Sov bit by bit - one of these days he will find the old coins and he will be hooked :happydance01:

That is a very cool silver spinner ring -- very unique!

I would kill for that house :crying02:

Tony Two-Cent
05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
EDIT - forgot to mention, on Thursday we went to look at a house for sale, it was built in 1833. We won't by buying it, but danged if all I could think about was detecting the yard!

The same thought always goes through my head when I see a really old house for sale! I wish I could buy these old properties, hunt the yard until it's cleaned out, then sell the property. Ha ha! If only a person could do that without losing their shirt!

cnr_dogs
05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice hunt good finds and fun with dad WTG

aloldstuff
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
nice hunt, especially since your Dad was there

zrickkid
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Looks like you and your dad had some quality time together and you found just enough to give hime the detecting itch. Nice rings BTW. :clapping: