PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing E-Trac problems....

RobW
05-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Last night I changed out battery packs. I had just charged a spare, when I slid it into the detector, which was not on, it made a deep decending tone, and the screen lit up with VOLTAGE OVERLOAD I didn't think much of it, then I started detecting, then it would do it again and shut off! I'd turn it back on and go on for about 5 min then it would do it again and shut off. It did it once while just sitting on the ground while I was digging a target. I thought I was going to have to stop hunting, after awhile it didn't do it again. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? :dontknow:

I don't want to have to send it in...It's peak season! >{

Viking
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Yikes. That feature definitely doesn't come standard... :stretcher:

I haven't experienced that problem during my 6 months of E-trac ownership. Sounds like something is whacky and it's worth a call to the boys at Minelab at a minimum. I hope you don't have to send it in either! :crying02:

Let us know what you hear. Good luck!

coinnut
05-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Rob, it will probably have to go to the repair shop. There is a small chance that it is a dirty battery connection, so clean them up (pencil eraser lol) and see if it happens again. Are you under warrantee?? Or did you get it used? I'll PM you on it.

RobW
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
George hit it on the head :hammer:
One thing I have noticed with the E Trac is that you have to be careful and not let the battery pack slide down too fast and smack the connections, when changing it

That was it! :yes:

pulltabsteve
05-10-2011, 05:38 PM
WTG George! happydance02 :clapping: Here's your patch :grin:

rsarge1
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Jaybird
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
RobW, I don't mean to be funny but which battery pack were you using? If it was the one that you put in the 8 AA's are you sure they all went in the right way? It is possible that one got slid in wrong--Maybe 8/ Just checking.
Jay

coinnut
05-10-2011, 10:15 PM
WTG George! happydance02 :clapping: Here's your patch :grin:

Do I look fat in them tights :thinkingabout: :cheesysmile:

Spike
05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
[quote=coinnut link=topic=5775.msg68477#msg68477 date=1305083753]
Do I look fat in them tights :thinkingabout: :cheesysmile:
You are the man |:confused:) but the thought of you in tights :barf: rofl

RobW
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
RobW, I don't mean to be funny but which battery pack were you using? If it was the one that you put in the 8 AA's are you sure they all went in the right way? It is possible that one got slid in wrong--Maybe 8/ Just checking.
Jay

I only use the rechargable battery packs, not the AA

coinnut
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I only use the rechargable battery packs, not the AA

Both packs are designed to only go in one way. You can't flip them or rotate then in any other direction but the correct one. Thank you Minelab lol Makes it easy for people like me ;) Now if they could only get me from not sliding them in too fast :dontknow:

Never mind. lol Just re-read Jay's post :embarrassed: :embarrassed: Jay was talking about individual batteries and not the packs. 8/

Tony Two-Cent
05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, I just encountered this same problem with my E-Trac this morning. Every time I would bend down to dig a target, the machine would turn itself off when I picked it back up off the ground. At first, I discovered that if I picked the machine up slowly after digging the target, it wouldn't do it. After a while even that didn't help, I couldn't keep the machine turned on for more than 5 seconds at a time. I tried taking the battery pack out and reinserting it, that didn't help any. I took the battery pack out again, cleaned the contacts (they weren't dirty) with a corner of cardboard from the back of a pack of batteries. That didn't help either. I finally just went home.

I had just put fresh batteries in the battery pack this morning before I left. The rechargable pack was charging at home, I didn't have it with me. I know that others have had this exact same problem with the E-Trac. I am going to go read those threads and see how the problem was solved.

coinnut
05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, I just encountered this same problem with my E-Trac this morning. Every time I would bend down to dig a target, the machine would turn itself off when I picked it back up off the ground. At first, I discovered that if I picked the machine up slowly after digging the target, it wouldn't do it. After a while even that didn't help, I couldn't keep the machine turned on for more than 5 seconds at a time. I tried taking the battery pack out and reinserting it, that didn't help any. I took the battery pack out again, cleaned the contacts (they weren't dirty) with a corner of cardboard from the back of a pack of batteries. That didn't help either. I finally just went home.

I had just put fresh batteries in the battery pack this morning before I left. The rechargable pack was charging at home, I didn't have it with me. I know that others have had this exact same problem with the E-Trac. I am going to go read those threads and see how the problem was solved.

Sounds like something is loose inside and breaking contact everytime you move it, probably in the battery area and hopefully not on the circuit board. I don't remember ever reading about that particular problem, but if you find it somewhere let us know what the fix was. In the meantime, I would contact the place where you bought it and see what they could do for you.

midas
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
The most likely cause for the problems is dust and dirt on the internal circuit board of the detector thereby causing a short circuit. Minelab detectors are not as sealed against dirt and sand as one would like. Just like dirt inside a coil cover, dirt enters through the speaker grill, headphone jack and seams along the control box. Take apart the control box and use compressed air to clean it.

Tony Two-Cent
05-25-2011, 07:10 PM
The most likely cause for the problems is dust and dirt on the internal circuit board of the detector thereby causing a short circuit. Minelab detectors are not as sealed against dirt and sand as one would like. Just like dirt inside a coil cover, dirt enters through the speaker grill, headphone jack and seams along the control box. Take apart the control box and use compressed air to clean it.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It hasn't happened at all the past two times I've used the machine so I'm hoping it was an isolated anomaly. There has been a cover on the control box since the machine was brand new, so I don't think dirt got in that way, but I suppose it's possible that a tiny amount of dirt might have entered through the headphone jack or into the battery compartment when I was changing batteries. If it happens again I will try the above suggestions.