PDA

View Full Version : Garrett problem

westfi1
05-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I am a new member and this is my first post. I bought a used Garrett GTA 1000 detector. It appeared to be in excellent shape but I am having a problem with it. The audio signal cuts in and out at random even with the coil over a metal target and held absolutely still. I noticed that the two battery holders, when removed, were both broken. I felt sure that this was the problem. I called Garrett and they sent me two new ones. I just installed them today and I still have the problem. I noticed that when I wiggle the cord that runs from the coil to the control console, up near where it screws into the console, I can make the signal stop and start. Obviously, with this intermittent signal it is impossible to use the machine. I don't know if it is a bad cord, or what else it could be. The cord is permanently attached to the coil so it looks as though the cord alone can't be replaced. I cleaned all fittings and contact points thoroughly, and I am using new batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for responding.

coinnut
05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. I would call who you bought it from. If it was new, I would tell them this machine is not working correct and, are they sure it is new?? :confused: Don't take no for an answer and ask for a replacement machine. It seems like that one went through some kind of accident in order to crack 2 battery packs and a coil wire. I would not trust the rest of the machine now. Take down the serial number and any secret marks you can locate, so that you don't get the same machine back. Look for something like a scratches on the unit that would identify it was the same unit. Be polite but be firm. I hope you got it from someone that you can get your money back.

RobW
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
When I bought my LAST Garrett (I used Garrett's for over 20 yrs), it was new, but the coil was shot right out of the box. garrett sent me a new one right away.

My advice.....trade it for a Minelab lol

magicwand
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
\:hammer:Don't know what you paid for it but i'd give Garrett a call and get an estimate on a repair charge.....good luck!

gabby
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
The battery packs crack and need to be replaced occasionally. The coil wire sounds like it may be a loose connection or a little oxidation on the metal terminals.
Try removing the connector and re inserting it a few times, this can clean off any oxidation...you often can't see the oxidation. If the terminals look tarnished that is definitely a problem.
I'd give Garrett a call if your problem persists. They are one of the best in the business when it comes to service!

Jean
04-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Hello and Welcome to the club. I to own a Garrett Ultra GTA1000 for a few years now but last year was having a little problem with mine so I sent it to Garrett Co. and they check it out replaced the board inside the unite also replaced both battery cases and said the coil was shorted so they replaced it and all for only $45.00 works great now. But I did purchased the ACE350 as a back up unit. Best of luck to you.