PDA

View Full Version : Short Hunts Silver And Wheats And Lost Camera

angellionel
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Yesterday late in the day, after taking care of several chores around the house, I headed to a local site to detect for a couple of hours. It was actually mostly to check and make sure my E-Trac was working okay as I had been having some falsing issues with it lately, but it worked just fine, and it even rewarded me with a Seated Liberty dime. :smitten: It also threw in two Indian Head cents and thirteen wheat cents to make up for the headaches. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/silverandih_051111.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/wheatcents_051111.jpg

Today I did the same, but at a different location. I was happily going about my business, swinging the coil, digging here and there, until at the end I decided to reach for my camera to take some photos of the mercury dime and several wheat cents I had found. But it was not in my back pocket where I always place it while detecting! :shocked04: &quot:daydream:kay, don't panic yet; retrace your steps - and forget about the slightly tall grass and wooded areas with layers of dead leaves you just walked through. You will find it. Or so I thought. 8/ I looked, but I just could not find my camera. :crying02: I was then hoping that I had just left it in my car trunk, but it was not there either. My Pentax Optio W30 was gone. :crying02: It had served me well for a good number of years. Oh well, time for a new camera. :cheesysmile:

I arrived home, did some quick research, and settled on the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12 MP. I rushed to a local dealer and bought one. I took the following photo with it. It was taken inside the house under poor lighting conditions and with the default settings, yet I can already see that the details on the photos it produces will be quite nice. :smitten: I can't wait to take some outside shots of finds. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2011/May/silverandwheats_051211.jpg

HH!

jkress
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Great two hunts Angel! Love the Seated. :smitten:
Bummer about the camera... but the new one looks very nice. Exceptional detail in your first picture with it, even though it
was in less than ideal shooting conditions. Looking forward to seeing how it produces in nice light.
Congrats on the hunt and new camera.

Epi-hunter
05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in that he can find tiny silver dimes buried thirteen inches under the ground, but he can't find a camera case on the top of the ground? lol :poke: (I pointed this out earlier, but it didn't go over well lol :cheesysmile: :lipssealed: )

I'm only teasing :yes:

I am glad you are happy with the new camera :yes: And that seated dime is definitely a keeper :smitten:

Viking
05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in that he can find tiny silver dimes buried thirteen inches under the ground, but he can't find a camera case on the top of the ground? lol :poke: (I pointed this out earlier, but it didn't go over well lol :cheesysmile: :lipssealed: )

I'm only teasing :yes:

I am glad you are happy with the new camera :yes: And that seated dime is definitely a keeper :smitten:

Ha, that is ironic! Does Minelab make a camera detector? J/K! rofl

Great finds Angel! Glad to hear that your E-trac returned to form after a case of the yips! :happydance01:

marinedad
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
nice finds, sorry about your camera.

coinnut
05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I believe your problems will fade with time and are a direct result of hunting with me lol Seems my machine loves to false and of course we all know my track record for losing things rofl Must be rubbing off on you lol Good news is that most items are eventually recovered thumbsup01 Nice finds by the way :clapping:

aloldstuff
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Sorry to hear about the camera, but your hunts are great. When I first started mding I lost my phone. Where I was I had to take the same route back and I noticed a phone on the ground. Stupid me said wow I found a phone, then realizing it was mine. Have never taken the phone mding again.

angellionel
05-13-2011, 07:21 AM
I will go back and check again, and hopefully I will find it, but I lost it on the park itself then it is likely gone. There were several folks out there. :yes: It is a waterproof and dustproof camera, so it should be safe from the elements. lol

I believe your problems will fade with time and are a direct result of hunting with me lol Seems my machine loves to false and of course we all know my track record for losing things rofl Must be rubbing off on you lol Good news is that most items are eventually recovered thumbsup01 Nice finds by the way :clapping:

You may be right George. lol At least you have recovered your lost items though. :thinkingabout: lol

JTGOLD
05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
two very good hunts and nice finds,congrats on the silver and IH's.

RobW
05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
At least you have recovered your lost items though. :thinkingabout: lol

Yeah but it took him several years to recover that pedometer...and it was shot by the time he found it again lol
Hopefully you didn't have anything else on that camera :embarrassed:

Nice finds, wish I could finds like that while just checking things out lol

Bell-Two
05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry about the camera Angel there is one trick that may work to help a camera's return if found by an honest person. Works best on digitals but also has been done on the old film style too, take a picture of a sheet of paper that has your contact information on it do that every so often and if whoever finds it is curious by nature...and who amongst us isn't... they will look at the pictures to see what is on it and they will come across the contact information.

Tony Two-Cent
05-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Sigh. It must be nice to casually find two Indian Heads and a Seated Liberty dime on a short hunt. :daydream:

It's almost enough to make a fellow think about moving to New England just for the better metal detecting sites. :thinkingabout:

Congrats on the finds! Sorry about the camera, maybe somebody will find it with their metal detector 200 years from now. It looks like you ended up with a superior replacement. Keep showing us those wonderful finds, it provides great motivation!

randy
05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Beautiful seated Angel <:, and that merc shows little wear. Nice hint :cheering:

pulltabsteve
05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Love the seated thumbsup01 Very nice bunch of finds. Too bad about the camera, but the new one looks like it takes some real nice photos.