PDA

View Full Version : mercury dime with no date

dave in iowa
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Mt freind down the street the local coin dealer was going through some merc dimes just purchased in a estate sale , and found one with no date , not worn off , but no date at all, no eveidence of tampering that they can tell i couldnt see any marks , anyone heard of this?

Epi-hunter
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I've heard of this. I think it's called a filled die error? Fairly common, I think, although I have never seen an example of one.

coinnut
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Yep, a filled die can result in a part of the coin not being struck. On another note, coins can be shaved and polished to remove parts. An example is a 1944 D penny having the first 4 shaved into a 1, resulting in a 1914 D. Easily recognizable due to the spacing of the numbers. It may be a genuine error, or just someone skilled having some fun. Either way I would take it to a reputable dealer or E mail pictures to one of the grading companies and ask if they have ever seen one. If it exists, they have seen it lol

russellt
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
wow. it could be real .errors happen all the time at the mint and sometimes they go unnoticed for a period of time before corrected

Dimeman
05-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I have seen lots of worn out ones with no date but not a detailed one with the date missing. :shocked04:

aloldstuff
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I think coinnut hit it...a filled die.