PDA

View Full Version : Is it a coin?

z118
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
My father's find with the Sov! What do you think?

coinnut
05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Looks like a Matron Head Large Cent to me. The first picture needs to be rotated a bit counter clockwise and you will see the nose, and forhead on the left. I think it's a copper thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
05-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree that it definitely appears to be the size and color of a large cent. I think I am seeing the Matron Head after enlarging the photo, rotating it and enhancing it, but then my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :-\

There is a detail on the left that might be her nostril (or is it part of her hair?) and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that might even be part of the word LIBERTY across her headband.

coinnut
05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
There is a detail on the left that might be her nostril (or is it part of her hair?) and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that might even be part of the word LIBERTY across her headband.

Yep, that's what I see. It's her jaw, nose and headband (where the deeply struck LIBERTY) would be. Then again, it could be an elephant juggling too lol

RobW
05-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Tony and George, I think you ate those majic mushrooms,...I don't see any of that! lol :crazy:

I would agree I think it may be an LC....a toasty one lol

Tony Two-Cent
05-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I blame George. His power of suggestion was clearly affecting the signals my eyeballs were sending to my brain. lol

BOWSER
05-13-2011, 09:00 PM
i see a full face and the word liberty :omg: :dontknow:

bob_e99
05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
As finder of the object, I want to thank everyone for their input. If nothing else, I'm fairly certain it's a coin and made of copper. The metal is non-magnetic and imparts a greenish tinge to a flame which is what convinces me it's copper. I'm really new to metal detecting so please bear with me. Since this thing is probably worthless anyway, how would you suggest I go about trying to clean this up further? I tried hot peroxide and also a paste of baking soda. Both helped a bit but should I go with something like a copper cleaner? I'm not trying to clean this for any reason other than curiousity to see if there are any details left on it.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

pulltabsteve
05-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob. I'd have to agree that its a coin. To try to get some detail out of it, maybe try using a small brass brush?

RobW
05-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think there's any detail left on it to bring out.

bob_e99
05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

RobW: I know what you mean and I was just hoping to find the remnants of a vowel or a number or anything. It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).

Thanks again.

z118
05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).

Don't be modest, you found that nice silver ring! lol

RobW
05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

RobW: I know what you mean and I was just hoping to find the remnants of a vowel or a number or anything. It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).

Thanks again.

Just gives you an incentive to go out and find one WITH better detail..... :yes: lol

It shows you can find it, it's out there...just waiting for you thumbsup01

Jeff (or)
05-26-2011, 10:00 PM
If all else fails, try a few drops of ferric-chloride and a Q-tip. :thinkingabout:

BOWSER
05-28-2011, 09:01 PM
May i suggest a prduct called barkeepers friend, rub it dry on the coin and you may determine what the item is.It is sold in most 1.00 stores.DO NOT USE IT ON VALUABLE COINS OR METALS.

bob_e99
06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I've been meaning to get back to this but have been trying to spend more time detecting. After my attempts to 'clean' this object, this is what I have. Apparently it's identity is lost to history and I'm not going to spend any more time on it. My thanks to everyone for your ideas and comments.

Bowser, your initial response still cracks me up.

Happy hunting everyone.

Bob

del
06-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Bob when the coin is that bad ( basically worn smooth and worthless) i take a scotch-brite pad to it and buff the sides until i can make an outline of something . i've had coins that i though were totally smooth and devoid of any design or anyhting and after the scotch-brite i could see some detail , well enough to id the coins.

Dan

bob_e99
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks Dan. I'll pick some up and give it one last try. If anything does show up, I'll re-post pictures.

Bob

RobW
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
George likes using sandpaper to bring out details :omg:

coinnut
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
George likes using sandpaper to bring out details :omg:

You're such a big baby lol

bob_e99
06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
As I continue trying to clean this object, I'm beginning to believe it's a 'magic' coin. I swear every time I look at it, I can see something different.
:twirlingeyes:
Rorschach on a coin?

wild willy
07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
bowser had a draped bust you could tell clear as day. he didnt know what it was. rofl willy

wild willy
09-04-2011, 06:08 AM
sorry jim! :-\ i must miss picking on the toad man. :poke: willy

BOWSER
09-04-2011, 01:00 PM
In my defence ,the minute you said bust ,the power of suggestion came into my head and i envisioned something intirely different. :confused: