PDA

View Full Version : missed the Q trifecta by a barber half

randy
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Had a good (well amazing) day today. Finished up the morning office routine by 9:45 and got out by 11 to a site I've been picking at for a year and a half. First target was a '64 Q at 4 inches, on its side :happydance01: Slow spell while I'm digging deep memorials and other annoying deep clad >{ (which is actually good, as it may mean they didn't hunt the site hard in the 70s and 80s), and got a good signal, sounded like silver but was mostly showing (in E-Trac speak) 11-47 to 14-47, which around here is that dead zone that means clad quarter (46s are silver dimes, and 48s are silver quarters in our dirt), but it was deep (and it had that sound we all E-TRac'ers all know and love :smitten:, and we can't believe as we see a big barber eagle at the bottom of the plug at 7 inches <: <: <:. My first barber half, in a site not known (at least to me) to produce barber silver. Did have a pull tab in the hole as as well, which may have mucked up the numbers a bit, but that sound is that sound. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Nailed the rosie and merc over the next couple of hours, and then hit a tough target that sounded like an iron false. I'm not good at E-Trac iron falses (but am getting better), the one thing I listen for is how much fight the silver tone has. This one had just enough fight for my liking -- I couldn't pintpoint anything, and on a bad day I probably would have moved on, but when your luck is running hot you dig, and I opened the plug, couldn't find it on the first try, opened a little more, heard the iron in the bottom of the hole, but saw just enough shine out of the side of the hole to pluck the SLQ happydance02. Left the ferrous target for the competition lol

Pulled some more deep clad for a while, then had to get back to the office, but wanted to run one more rank of my grid, as how can you go back when your luck is running this hot? Bushes at the beginning of the next rank, swung deep under them, and hit the '59 Q at 3 inches. <: Bushes weren't there 50 years ago, sometimes got put your coil into awkward spots to get the silver the competition has missed.

Missed the quarter trifecta by a barber half. We'll call it a denomination trifecta.

Total hunt time 4 hours today; yesterday, same site, 3 hours, 1 merc. Thanks for looking and have a good weekend everyone. Can't hunt this weekend myself >:# >:# >:# >:# >:# >:#

Epi-hunter
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
:omg: That is just amazing randy!! :cheering: Congratulations on that barber half!!! And all the rest of that beautiful silver!!!

Fantastic point about the bushes. So many detectorists just can't see past the landscape in front of them to realize that bushes and brush and smallish trees and fences weren't there back in the day, so that's where the coil should go, convenient or not. Very nice :happydance01:

coinnut
05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Nice Half Randy :clapping: The rest of the silver is pretty sweet too lol You had a great day and upped your silver count |:confused:)

angellionel
05-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Awesome hunt Randy! :clapping: Those Barber halves sure do get the heart rate going once you see them in the dirt pile. :smitten:

yazoo
05-13-2011, 06:42 PM
That is one awesome hand full of silver . Great job. Yazoo

jkress
05-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow... that is a fantastic day of silver Randy. |:confused:) :clapping:
Love the Barber Half. :smitten: I sure hope to find one of them someday.
Congrats on all the quarters too... plus the SLQ.
Awesome, just awesome.

JTGOLD
05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
nice bunch of silver you found,very good job.

aloldstuff
05-14-2011, 06:53 AM
great hunt....you are right, never leave when you are on a hot streak. Great silvers

wingmaster
05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Nice bunch of silver congrats.

Tony Two-Cent
05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Those Barber halves sure do get the heart rate going once you see them in the dirt pile.

I'm not sure my heart could take finding a Barber Half! THAT'S AWESOME!

RobW
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Don't know how I missed this one, but glad it came back up....awsome hunt and great detail of it! Congrats on the big silver :peace:

russellt
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
thats better than any day i have had . thats for sure :peace: :clapping:

coop
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweet thumbsup01