PDA

View Full Version : 1676 home

hockeyguy
05-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Well, I got permission to hunt a friends place that was established in 1676! I've been thinking about this all week and today was the day. Although I took no photos, I did not find much to my dismay. A toy capgun, 3 wheats, a NYC subway token, a pockey knife, a belt buckle and a few odds and ends.

The coolest part was that my friend has a shop on the property where he makes old time lamps. THe guy does fantastic work and can make most anything; the exact opposite of me. I push paper and that's about it...really.

When I brought the buckle to show him, he took a close look as it was obviously copper. He was able to determine the age by searching for a silver solder (of which there was none). Every item I showed him, he was able to tell me how it was made....turned, pressed etc. and what it was made of.

Most of the area was riddled with iron, so the null was on and the going very slow. I took my time though I found very little. I had so much hope for this place as it was owned by a gi-normous landowner back in the day. He said they had geology classes there digging trenches and pulling out many arrowheads. He also said only 1 guy had detected there for a few hours many years ago snd pulled a merc.

I thought for sure the place hadn't been explored however, I think it was. I'll go back when some of the woodsy area is cleared. it sounds like this is schedule soon. :white:usaflag::

aloldstuff
05-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Don't give up on that property. You just have not put your coil over the good stuff yet. Your friend sounds very knowedgeable, good person to know.

coinnut
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey Aaron, I find the older the property, the harder it is to find old stuff lol There is so much iron and trash over the years that it is just lucky if something old turns up. Plus all them years of moving dirt around, causes us to have shattered dreams :daydream: :bop: :bop: lol. I would try it again for sure, starting away from the house and working back towards it. That way you can get to areas that are not as cluttered and ease your way into the iron.

Your friend sounds like he is a real master of the trade...something we desperately lack these days :-\ Does he do tin work?? Cause I would love to have the tin redone on that pewter pitcher I found a couple of weeks ago. Keep at that place and it will give up something older soon.

russellt
05-14-2011, 10:16 PM
this seems to me to be one of those properties that once you get the shallow stuff out of teh way you may be able to get some seriously nice finds .. good hiunt , no doubt

jkress
05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Is that correct... 1676? :shocked04: :shocked04:
I'm lucky to find homes here from the 1860's. 1676 is just incredible. :daydream:

There is nothing more exciting than the drive to a new site that is filled with potential. :smitten:
Sometimes you hit... sometimes you don't. All part of the fun. But you gotta admit, the drive there
was fun with expectations. :yes:

It definitely sounds like a site to spend much more time at. At a place that old, one good deep target can
make it all worthwhile.

Good luck.