PDA

View Full Version : Another Busted Weekend

z118
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh good, there's a storm cloud smiley >:\

I only had limited time Saturday morning, so I figured I'd hit some tot lots... I did alright, but it started raining while I was hunting. The last spot I hit gave up a nice .925 fine box chain with 3 charms stamped .925 so that was good.

I arrived home to find a Garrett Propointer had come in the mail! My father purchased it as an amazing gift after metal detecting with me last weekend. I was itching to get out and break it in. It stopped raining after dinner so I headed a few towns over to an old park which had given up a dozen or so wheats in past hunts. I had a lousy time. The E-trac was wonky as all get out, falsing like crazy and giving huge, deafening signals all over. Switching to auto did not help; in fact in auto it ran at a sensitivity of 29!?! I'm not sure what was going on with that... maybe wet grass? I moved into a newer area and it did settle down enough for me to pull some clad. Still pretty disappointing. The propointer was nice though, seems like it will be useful during better hunts.

It rained all day Sunday. A nasty, driving rain with strong winds and temps in the 40's. My slow start for the year continues to drag on... :hairpulling:

Total for Saturday was 94 coins worth $12 even plus the usual trinkets, tokens, and junk. The only good find was the silve rnecklace and charms and believe me I'm thankful for that!

Happy hunting...

coinnut
05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Not sure what was going on with the E Trac, although it does not like really wet grass. Also could have been some thunderstorms in the distance. It really does pick that up. Or maybe :thinkingabout: someone taped a penny under your coil lol I know that most machines will pick up EMI from thunderstorms. Wait til tomorrow and see if it's better. I think it will be. The same thing that makes detectors go deep is the same thing that picks up EMI. :hairpulling:

Viking
05-15-2011, 08:31 PM
That is interesting with the E-trac issues. I used it for three hours in wet conditions (for the first time) both yesterday and today, I thought it performed better than ever.

Great clad total for the day, and cool charms! :beerbuddy:

coinnut
05-15-2011, 08:53 PM
That is interesting with the E-trac issues. I used it for three hours in wet conditions (for the first time) both yesterday and today, I thought it performed better than ever.

Great clad total for the day, and cool charms! :beerbuddy:

Mine falses a bit more than I like if the grass is very wet, but it hates approaching thunderstorms lol The more sensitive modern machines get, the more atmospheric conditions will affect them. Not really a flaw, just a byproduct of our need for super deep machines. I think it will be across the board on manufacturers. I believe it's because the coil can only be shielded in certain ways and not sure if they can shield it and still get it to work the same way (otherwise it would have already been done lol)

RobW
05-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I've had those propblems even without rain with my E-Trac. Sometimes it's the immediate area that I'm hunting (sometimes underground utilities), if I move it will settle down. I also try the old fall back, turn it off turn it on sometimes that works. It's a very sensitive machine....like George lol

Still a nice jewelry haul :clapping:

aloldstuff
05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Nice jewelery haul, charms with a chain. Have you tried talking nicely to your etrac?

Bell-Two
05-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Nice chain, as to E-Trac. Have you removed your coil cover and cleaned under it? It gets stuff between the coil and the cover and can cause falsing. Do that and check the bottom of your coil I was having not falsing but some inconsistent signals took off my cover to clean under it, something I make a habit of doing and saw this. There were cracks in the coil. Sent picture to my dealer on Saturday, he called Minelab and by Wed. I had a new coil. Great service from a great dealer and great service from Minelab.

Epi-hunter
05-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Very nice chains and charms.

Did you try Noise Cancel?

Viking
05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Nice chain, as to E-Trac. Have you removed your coil cover and cleaned under it? It gets stuff between the coil and the cover and can cause falsing. Do that and check the bottom of your coil I was having not falsing but some inconsistent signals took off my cover to clean under it, something I make a habit of doing and saw this. There were cracks in the coil. Sent picture to my dealer on Saturday, he called Minelab and by Wed. I had a new coil. Great service from a great dealer and great service from Minelab.

If I'm reading this correctly, you got those coil cracks even with having a cover on it? If so, that's very interesting and a little concerning. How did the dealer explain those cracks? Getting banged around too much? Climate (dried out from dry weather/storage)? :dontknow:

coinnut
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, you got those coil cracks even with having a cover on it? If so, that's very interesting and a little concerning. How did the dealer explain those cracks? Getting banged around too much? Climate (dried out from dry weather/storage)? :dontknow:

I got mine from banging into rocks hidden by ferns lol But even though it was the worst coil my dealer has ever seen (and he is a BIG Minelab dealer), it still tested out fine!! So I would not worry about the coils, they are well made. Usually, instability is caused by something external, like Bell Two said or just, the ever changing EMI that is all around us.

Bell-Two
05-17-2011, 12:54 PM

No I did not bang it, in fact my hunting partner Doug says he knows of no one who is more gentle on his equipment than I am. How the cracks got there I do not know, a few weeks before they were not there then they were. Probably a manufacturing defect. Yes always hunt with coil cover on. Not a weather thing, live in Ohio so no great extremes in tempature, store in the house. This things can happen that is why they offer warrantees. I was very pleased on how they handled it such quick response.