PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on self sealing coin holders and Bluenoser's cleaning hints

leslie(nova scotia)
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....when I went to the new Penny coin shop the other day I asked for some of those white holders that pop in the clear pages. I asked the price of the self sealing ones and the owner warned me that the apoxy on those types does silver no good. Stuck with the ones you staple.

For copper cream of tarter and vinegar made into a paste does great but if the patina goes so may the design.

For silver line a glass pie plate with tin foil and add silver items (do not mix with other metals like copper or gold) making sure they don't touch, pour baking soda over the lot then boiling water and fold the tin foil over. At most you may have to leave overnight and repeat a couple of times....woks great save for coins that come out of salt water areas!

del
01-07-2010, 03:43 AM
hey Leslie thanks for the heads up on the self sealing coin sleeves and the cleaning tip

coinnut
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I wondered what happened to those self sealing 2x2's?? I had some in the old days along with some that were different colors, (blue, yellow, green). They were pretty lol. I use the staple kind myself, and use a hammer to push the staple backs into the paper so they don't catch on anything. Never tried the cream of tarter method. Thanks for the tip.

John M
01-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tip.I usually use the clear flips for my coins.I don't like to lock the coin away in case I want to handle it in the future.Every once in a while I will recondition my old coppers and the flips just make it easier to get at.

RickO
01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Leslie, if you disolve the baking soda first, then pour the solution over the silver coin on the foil... the tarnish usually disappears within a minute or so. Unless it is heavily gunked up. RickO