PDA

View Full Version : It Just Isn't My Thing....

fsa46
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm new to MDing and have a great spot for clad but it just doesn't do it for me. It was good to get pratice with my detector and it does have some potential to find jewelry but I much rather hunt a cellar hole for 5 hours or more and find an old coin or two than find a hundred clad coins. Am I alone in the way I feel or are there others out there that feel the same as I. :thinkingabout:

Tony Two-Cent
05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
You're definitely not alone in that regard. I have very little interest in finding clad or other newer coins. In fact, I often ignore signals from my detector that indicate shallow targets. Nothing is more disappointing than hoping for an old coin but digging up a Zincoln.

del
05-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm new to MDing and have a great spot for clad but it just doesn't do it for me. It was good to get pratice with my detector and it does have some potential to find jewelry but I much rather hunt a cellar hole for 5 hours or more and find an old coin or two than find a hundred clad coins. Am I alone in the way I feel or are there others out there that feel the same as I. :thinkingabout:

welcome to the darkside Frank :eyebrow: lol lol i started in parks and schools searching for clad and jewelry but i too was swayed by the colonial spirits with relics and coppers , although mercs and barbers and indians will still interest me very much .

coinnut
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Yep, cellar hunter here too. lol Although monetarily, cellar hole hunting is not as quick in rewarding someone, it does fuel the passion more for me. If you find enough of clad you can purchase anything you want; silver, a gold coin, nice jewelry :clapping:, and that definitely makes it worth while in my book. But for me, finding a real old coin gives me that wow factor. Just knowing that someone lost this coin 150 + years ago makes it special, even if it's just a toasted coin lol But like Del said, Indians and silver and of course gold from the parks, still gets the blood pumping. Ideally, I wouyd love to balance the two types of hunting. Each is nice. After doing cellar holes for a while, the nice, easy swinging, manicured lawn of a park has it's appeal lol

SeabeeRon
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Sometimes you have to hunt the environment your area gives you. While I love finding silver, when I need a detecting fix I am lucky I can just hit the sand!! Our Summer Season is just about to start out here! :cheering:

RobW
05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Nope, definatly not alone, though you may detect that way lol

I started off civil war relic hunting, moved north, and began coinshooting...at first I was very frustrated, only finding clad, and quit for a bit, then I started understanding how to find the older coins.,,,While I'm no Angel :angelic:, lol I still find a lot of clad, but I find a good share of older coins now...that's what keeps us going :peace:

I do have a seperate account I put my found money in....saving for a 1916 D merc....be there by the end of the season :happydance01:

russellt
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
sometimes i feel that way . but ive got the detecting bug so bad i get over it . most of the public places around here i have beaten up pretty good and silver and jewely are hard to come by any more . i havent been swingin in over a month

aloldstuff
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
When I got back into the hobby I only hunted schools and parks for a year and a half. Decided that I wanted the older stuff so I branched out to old farms, the woods, hay fields. While clad can add up, the feeling of digging up that old coin is much better. I am not planning on buying a 16 d merc, I plan on finding one.

RobW
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Decided that I wanted the older stuff

Yeah, you looking for those childhood memories...... :daydream:..... rofl

aloldstuff
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice, real nice sonny boy.

Kimster
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Clad gives you something to do while you're looking for good targets. I estimate that I already have two to three hundred dollars in clad this year. I would not be surprised if I break a $1000 by the end of the year (I hunt every day). That money buys a lot of nice detecting equipment. And until MDers are invented that have x-ray vision, you'll never know if that signal is clad coinage, silver coinage, silver jewelry, a very large gold ring, or any variety of other interesting targets. If you don't dig the clad signals, you're definitely going to find fewer good targets.

As far as shallow targets are concerned, the last 14K gold ring I found (sporting an amythist stone and what looks like two small diamonds), the last 14K gold cross that I found (very ornate), and the last 1926 semi-key date Mercury dime I found were all at about two inches. Not all shallow targets are recently dropped clad.

I think I'll just keep digging those shallow targets and pick up the clad when I have nothing better to pick up. :yes:

POKIE73
12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
dennis here some days you just dont have the time to go any farther than the local places you can always get enough clad for batterys and such so it is never a waste of time

Jason in Enid
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Nope, you're certainly not alone! I hunt old parks, homesites, ghosttowns, etc looking for old coins and silver. I will drive past many tot-lots and schools to get to my hunting spots.

Different strokes for different folks!

Dick Stout
12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Used to feel that way, but way back when I hunted a particular park near my home that went way back. In an area near the baseball infield I kept getting loud signals, and what appeared to be overloads. I ignored them for some time. Then one day I decided to see what was causing these
over the top signals. I recovered three silver quarters and two silver halves in an area about two feet wide. I worked outward from there and found quite a more quarters. Must have been an admission area or something...never did figure out why, but it changed my way of thinking.

starman2
12-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I quess I must be too new to the hobby. If I dig a dime. I'm happy. A quarter, happier. But theres nothing like looking in the hole and seeing a nice shinny dime or quarter, staring back up at me!! I'll take the clad. I'm a, hey! lets go have coffee kind of guy. So If I find coffee money for me and the wife. I call the day a success. I used to take all the coinage home and get out the magnifing glass and check the dates. That was before I started finding silver. I've found black dimes, and red dimes, and grey dimes. But Theres no mistaking silver. You almost don't have to wipe it off.

Fire Fighter 43
12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
I feel the exact same way about finding clad. That is why I usually find less than $100 in clad each season. I only hunt sites that have the potential for old coins pre1925. I also prefer private property over public. The key to finding these old spots is research and then gain permission to hunt them. I would rather hunt all day and find one good old coin than find a pocket full of clad.

RaZR
12-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I like to hit old parks with the hopes of finding both an old silver coin (or two) and a handful of clad. The clad pays for the gas it took to get to a park a town away.
And if you aren't hitting parks and schools you won't find the gold and silver jewelry that teenagers and sporting type people lose everyday.
Also, you can learn alot about what your detector is saying by digging clad.
Personally i like any money i dig up from the ground!

GL/HH

mcdoogal
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Dont have celler holes in Houston so i guess i will never know.

Jason in Enid
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Dont have celler holes in Houston so i guess i will never know.

You don't have to be going for cellar holes, research and find places that could hold a decent amount of pre-1965 coins (ie silver).

Dig em all
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I like cellar hole hunting finging old items makes you wonder what could have happened who could have lost the item and then the research on the item makes cellar hole hunting fae more enjoyable to me. Not to mention I work in a gated park I hunt during lunch and have the keys to the gates. :grin:

z118
01-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I'd rather find a couple hundred clad coins AND an old coin or two. And I'd rather go digging for clad and find it than digging for an old coin and NOT find it. I don't like coming home with nothing to show for it, even if it is just a couple bucks in clad.