PDA

View Full Version : Mixed mode

v3ikid
05-16-2011, 09:03 PM
It's been raining here for the last three days so i've been doing some reading on the V3i. I have been wanting to do a couple of things, one is to either use mixed mode or mixed mode stereo and learn to utilize polar plot the best i can.

I loaded two different programs. One uses mixed mode and one uses stereo mixed mode. I could tell right away i was going to be able to get used to the mixed mode quicker so i stuck with that today and didn't rely on the correlate, or yazoo or magics programs which is pretty much what i've been doing. These programs work great and will most definatly be using them alot but it's time to venture out into the unknown (for me anyway).

I chose the mixed mode audio and ran the RX at 6. Since i'm not used to dealing with the am the AM channel, i stuck with digging only signals from the discriminate mode. The very first thing i dug was a junk ring but a ring none the less. Next came 7 nickels in a row(a first for me) then a dime and three pennies. my last target was a very incrusted Indian Head penny. Can't read the date but that's ok i'm just trying something new.

Everything i dug today i relied on polar plot to tell me what i was digging. It done pretty well. The old pulltabs still come up good on polar plot but that's to be expected beings they are shaped like a ring. And yes polar plot nailed the ring as a good target. I still dug some trash but no more then normal. still not all that much compared to what i used to dig.

My goal is to have a program not so much for depth but for the shallower stuff that is being missed also for jewelry. This is why i backed the RX off to 6 and set AM to 55 and disc to 85. I wanted to see if i was missing shallower targets. My conclusion was that for some reason this set up just throws the nickels at you and i did get a junk ring and a shallow Inian Head that i had missed with all the other programs i tried.

Where i found the Indian head was in a spot where i had found silver and had gridded it many many times and still missed it. It was 5 from a small tree so i know i went over it I just plain didn't get it.

When i get to a spot where i can dig really deep holes i will crank up the RX a bit and do some digging from the deeper targets on the AM and see how that goes.

Today was like having a new detector again. It's like the gift that just keeps on giving. lol

Lowjiber
05-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Nice thread. Thanks :perfect10:

CyberSage
05-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Keep us updated wit your progress on the mixed mode program Kid. I have never really played with it to much. There is definitely enough variance in settings on te V3/V3i to keep it feeling like a new detector for awhile. lol

Jack

firstring
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I've been a big fan of mixed mode. I've have a DFX, it is was my first machine and I used it regularly. I've converted over to the V3i now for 2 months and have found myself using mixed mode more frequently. The stereo mixed mode for me is a bit too much. (perhaps at my age, it's my hearing) Under certain conditions I use the 4x6 coil. I got it with the DFX. I plugged the littlle critter in the V3i and it overloaded big time. It was V rated. Whites exchanged it post haste and I had to try it out. I hit a couple of local parks I knew were trashy to try it out. Using a modified C/J program in mixed mode, and practicing my navigation techniques, I was able to recover, amongst other things, Some nice finds. The Class of 1969 ring came from one park, the other 14kt ladies ring from the other. Both were at 4. I also popped a '47 wheatie at 6. I almost gave up as it had started to rain. I am looking forward to using mixed mode on larger coils. There is jewelry amongst the trash for those with the patience. Good luck to you. Happy hunting. Do a happy dance and then say - ON TO THE NEXT.