PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Maine!

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi,

Newbie here from Maine, froze up solid around here right now, it will be fun to see digs for folks who can....I'm kinda active on the Metal Detecting Maine forum. Here's one of my favorite finds--right from the yard.

coinnut
01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey, Welcome aboard. Is that button pewter?? If it is, it's in real nice shape. Colonial too. I've seen some of those Maine finds and I can't stop drooling :drool: You have some kind soil there. We're not frozen solid here, but close to it. So I guess I'll live in someone elses shoes for a while ;)

angellionel
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the board! That button is an oldie, and held up nicely too. We look forward to reading about your hunts and finds this year. I wish you much success!

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure what it is made of...our house is old, real old for around here, early 1800s. Eastport has some interesting history and this house as seen a lot of it including being located in MA, then under British rule then becoming Maine...I sure would LOVE to find one of those MASS Coppers!

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the board! That button is an oldie, and held up nicely too. We look forward to reading about your hunts and finds this year. I wish you much success!

Thanks for the welcome and the forum!

coinnut
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
From that angle it doesn't appear to be pewter. More like a Tombac button. If it reads higher on the machine it will be brass or copper, if it reads more like a shot gun shell, then it will probably be a Tombac button. Pewter will read lower that a Tombac (more like foil or slightly above). A Great find. Your place has lots of potential. I'd dig every iffy target there lol Would look like a war zone when I was done ;)

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
From that angle it doesn't appear to be pewter. More like a Tombac button. If it reads higher on the machine it will be brass or copper, if it reads more like a shot gun shell, then it will probably be a Tombac button. Pewter will read lower that a Tombac (more like foil or slightly above). A Great find. Your place has lots of potential. I'd dig every iffy target there lol Would look like a war zone when I was done ;)

LOL! I did neat holes! lol

del
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
hello and welcome to the forum Downeastwaves

as coinnut said it looks like an old tombac button and that was in your yard :huh: wow you have some history there as you said , very cool.

Dave
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Hello and Welcome to AD!

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
hello and welcome to the forum Downeastwaves

as coinnut said it looks like an old tombac button and that was in your yard :huh: wow you have some history there as you said , very cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/downeastwaves/Home/PhotoAlbum35.html

Yep, that's our place, here's a link that shows the progress of the past couple years, if you are interested in old house restoration you'll enjoy the pix, there's 30 some pages of updates listed at the top....

coinnut
01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Holy Moly!!! That is one nice old house and one heck of a restoration project lol I could have never tackled something that big ;) You two did a great job saving that old house. Guess saving stuff is in your blood thumbsup01 That yard should be loaded with treasures. Thanks for letting us view your house and for saving it in the first place. The work that I saw done was fabulous. Congrats!!!

Snowy
01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hiya, DEW! :)

Downeastwaves
01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Hiya, DEW! :)

Hey Snowy! Looks like you and Krom and buddies had fun at the beach!

Snowy
01-08-2010, 05:52 AM
We did, DEW. Now I'm wiating for the January Thaw, then hoping the first weekend in Feb. is good, then come March it'll be warm enough for us to hit the ocean most any weekend. Trying to be patrient for the snow to go away. I'm DYIN' He-ya! lol

Islandhunter
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forum DEW!!! glad to se you found your way over here..GREAT bunch of people here!!

Downeastwaves
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
[quote=Islandhunter;7066]
Welcome to the forum DEW!!! glad to se you found your way over here..GREAT bunch of people here!!
[/quote

Thanks IH--will you be at the chat ?

SeabeeRon
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Good to see you here as well!

SpringTxDigger
01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey welcome to the forum. You guys may have the snow and frozen ground up north but oh what hunting grounds! So much history to uncover. Look forward to seeing more of your finds.

TimC
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum! Cool beans on the button, a very nice piece.

Stang1968
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice button! Welcome from Southern California. I hope the spring thaw comes soon enough so you can get back out into your yard!

RickO
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Welcome aboard Downeastwaves....HH RickO

grinsebring
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome from central Florida. it just so happens Maine is my favorite state. Worked there for a number of years peddling new Fords to all the dealers....Gil

Downeastwaves
01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Welcome from central Florida. it just so happens Maine is my favorite state. Worked there for a number of years peddling new Fords to all the dealers....Gil

Hi Gil! We love FL!!! Maybe you sold our Ford campervan to its original owner!

http://homepage.mac.com/downeastwaves/PhotoAlbum31.html

leslie(nova scotia)
01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....well sweet un youz do git around. Welcome to the forum and hopefully the ground will thaw quickly in your area so that you.....can do the dew. They say war is hell but frozen ground rates a close second!