PDA

View Full Version : Gold Slinger turns Gun Slinger!

M-Taliesin
05-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Howdy Folks!
Well, you might have noticed I ain't been around much lately. Reason is becuase I haven't been hunting much lately. Been a mite distracted because of my job situation and because I have take up the effort to qualify for a CCW permit.

The Gold Slinger has been working on becoming a competent Gun Slinger.

Don't think that I'm treating firearms with caprice, because I am fully aware of the responsibility inherent in carrying a firearm. But last time I went out on a night hunt, I had the feeling somebody was sneaking up on me in the dark and didn't much care for the feeling. I've been robbed at gunpoint once, had my house broken into twice when living in Colorado Springs, and just don't much cotton to being a victim.

Considering that I spend quite a bit of time night hunting, and often in unsavory neighborhoods, I felt the time had come to prepare for my own self defense. Along with getting myself ready, the wife and Pipster are also working to secure their CCW permits. With my wife working at the county jail, and having interaction with inmates, she ought to have her permit. While Pipster has the most experience with handguns of the trio, we each are working to hone our skills and have taken the classroom portion of our CCW training. Our visit to the shooting range to qualify for proficiency there was shorted out when it started to rain and the temperature dropped considerably. While we have our certificates of CCW training already, we are bound by our promise to return and complete our training on the range.

So, much time has been spent 'training up' for our training class. We've invested time on the local range where we have a membership, and we've spent a good deal of time learning the laws of Colorado as pertain to carrying a defensive weapon. It is a huge responsibility, and not to be taken lightly.

As to the job, I feel almost like I'm being punished for having gotten injured on the job. They haven't returned me to a normal schedule and I am not making enough money to pay my bills right now. With only 3 days a week at work, I just ain't getting the job done (no pun intended) in meeting my obligations. As a result of that, I'm on the hunt for a new and different sort of job. That takes a heap of time too! I can understand their wanting to be careful in returning me to full time work, but come on already... it's been months and I'm still not getting my share of the work!

Anyhow, we should complete the range qualifications soon (we've had a rare monsoon season here in Colorado) and I expect I'll find new work before much longer. Then I'll be able to focus my attention back on gold slinging.

We will be heading down to Sapulpa Oklahoma for the Indian Territory competition hunt over the Memorial Day weekend, and I hope to report great results on my return.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

cnr_dogs
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
lookin good MT get that carry permit best decision you can make

coinnut
05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep, get your wife up to par with her weapon so that there are no mistakes on your knees lol I have been looking over some toys myself recently. I think it's time for a pea shooter for the house. Hope you get some time to do a little of both hobbies. Work can wait rofl

Lowjiber
05-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Good luck with the CCW process. It often takes several weeks to get the permit after you've sent in the paperwork. I've carried a pistol for many years.

I recommend getting non-resident permits in other states as well. With the reciprocity agreements between various states, you can carry just about anywhere if you plan correctly.

I have a Nevada resident permit and non-resident permits in Utah, Florida, and New Hampshire.

RobW
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Been seriously considering it myself a lot lately, one for the office, house, and to carry :thinkingabout:

M-Taliesin
05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Been seriously considering it myself a lot lately, one for the office, house, and to carry :thinkingabout:

Howdy RobW!
Consider it real seriously. Study up and handle a whole bunch of different pistols and pick your gear without price being the primary concern. Remember that whatever you decide, your life could depend on it.

After I was robbed at gunpoint, I got a real ugly feeling of vulnerability. More than that, it was a feeling of having been violated in a profoundly personal way. That guy came at me, ready to end my life to get the money in my pocket. While he was satisfied to make his escape with the cash, about 30% of those guys will shoot you anyhow, and you just never know which type you are facing when something like this comes your way. There were at least two times when he took his eyes off me that I might have countered if I'd been armed. I could easily have jumped him on both those instances but my employer is one of those that requires their employee to be a cooperative victim. To go along without resistence, believing that cooperation will result in no harm done except for the loss of a few dollars, and some dignity. Of course, they aren't the person standing there with a pistol in their face wondering if the guy might shoot regardless. They are not the police officer who will arrive on the scene after the whole episode is over and done with. They aren't the widow who attends the funeral knowing her husband at least obeyed company policy. I like being a hard working, productive member of our society. I enjoy a good job. But I ain't much interested in a job to die for! If I am to assume such risk, I believe I should be in a much better paying job where my rights aren't traded away for a paycheck.

Sorry to digress, but when you need help right this very minute and the cops are (on average) 6 to 8 minutes away, what'cha gonna do? 6 to 8 minutes is a virtual eternity when an intruder has broken into your home.

There was a time when I was anti-gun. No matter how many anti-gun groups there are in America, or how many anti-gun laws exist in America, none of that mattered when a felon robbed me at gunpoipnt one night in Aurora Colorado. None of those anti-gun folks was looking down the barrel of a semi-automatic pistol wondering if they were about to meet their maker. None of those anti-gun lawmakers was there to comfort me if I got shot.

Now ask yourself what you'd do in that same situation? Or maybe your wife confronted with an assailant? Or your kids? Statistics indicate that you'll either already have experience crimes against you or your family, or will at some point in the future. My attitude is that I don't much care to be defenseless again. I may be wrong, but I have no intention of being dead wrong!

So pick your tools well, learn something of the craft, and look for an instructor who can teach you about avoiding situations where you will be a victim to begin with, and to be well prepared for combat if you end up with no alternative. Learn about situational awareness and get everybody in your family to keep their heads on a swivel. The gun the path of last resort, when the chips are down, when you must decide to use it in defense of your very life and the lives of your loved ones.

Sorry if I launched onto a soapbox here, but the importance of having the right tools can be a matter of life or death. Get the best tools you can for yourself, master the use of the thing, and be prepared if things come to that.

I still regard with reverence the sanctity of all life. That being said, my own life must be safeguarded or my reverence doesn't do anybody much good. I have learned that I can pray over somebody else who lost their own life in an attempt to deprive me of mine, but only if I am still around to pray for them!

I guess I didn't realize I had all this stuff pent up inside me, and hope some of it made sense. Didn't mean to rant, but it is a deadly serious topic. Don't take up handguns just because you can, but only because you must. When the chips are down, only you will be there when confronted with immediate peril!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

KYBuzzBox
05-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Mel,

I agree with you. Having been a police officer for 11 years, I can attest to the amount of low-life crawling around out there. I am always packing (I have a valid CCDW permit). I never leave home without it. if anyone is interested in reciprocating concealed carry agreements between states there is a list at www.nra.org (http://www.nra.org).

HH - KYBuzzBox

russellt
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
load em up and be safe thumbsup01

fastfwd
05-25-2011, 03:35 AM
got my CC thru Utah and then one from my home state that allows me to carry in 33 states . Hope to never have to use it but am ready ,able and willing if i do have to !