PDA

View Full Version : Back at it again

v3ikid
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I went out today with the mixed mode again. I got 19 more coins from the same spots i've been hitting. All of these coins were shallow, none were more then 3 1/2 deep I got 4 quarters, 12 pennies 1 nickel and 2 dimes. The one thing i've noticed is that i'm digging coins that share a hole with junk. I think (and my be wrong on how this all works) that by running the mixed mode it seems to give an advantage on shallow targets that are close to trash because you get both hits on the audio ( discriminate and All metal) as opposed to running the risk of the good target being nulled out because of no tone on the negative side.

Am I correct in that when running the audio in discriminate mode that when you get a good target next to junk the nulling of the O sound of the junk can shorten, break up, splatter or completly make the good target dissapear?

AND Is that what i'm experiencing with the mixed mode, that the audio is hitting both of the shallow targets?

I hope someone with a better grasp of the audio of the v3i can help with this.

Whatever the answer, i can see this being a good set up to use first on a new spot that is not too trashy before running a deeper program. Deep coins are great but it bugs the crap out of me at the thought of missing shallower coins because the last 2 silver dimes, last two buffalo's,last 3 rings and my last V nickel have all been less then 3 deep. Can't stand the thought of not getting coins like that. I relized this when i hit the Indian Head at a few inches in a spot i know i should have got it before.

I did set the recovery delay to 80 to allow for a quicker reset for a bit trashier areas. If i had to use this to do a real trashy spot i think i would probably put the RD somewhere betwee 40 to 60. Now that i think about it that gives me the idea to try that just to see how well i can use this 10DD in trash. I know a smaller coil would be ideal but not everyone has the funds these days to splurge on the extra coils so i want to try to set this thing up to be able to utilize the 10DD in these bad areas. You know it can be done.

What i am finding so far is that i am getting coins previously missed. I'm digging quite a few more old pulltabs shaped like rings. I even got 3 or 4 more shotgun shells that i had missed. So for my goal of trying to get to the rings i believe i'm in the ballpark, i just need to get that homerun. Still a work in progress

firstring
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
I am certainly no expert on the V3i. From my own experiences with mixed mode I can tell you that it enables you to use both non-motion mode and motion simultaneuosly. This is probably the deepest seeking you can get. Because of the non-motion aspect it, getting the coil over the target, will set off the audio tone, with no coil or little coil movement. This is good for trashy areas as it helps with target seperation. This is bad for trashy areas because because of all the targets. The constant audio tones can sometimes be too much. I believe tone ID is essential. RX and sensitivity adjustments can be on the consevative side, this machine has plenty of horsepower. It takes lots of patience and persistance. You are absolutely correct in thinking there good things to be found in that environment. I have found amongst other things three gold rings in trashy areas. I've had my V3i for two months. (up from a DFX) Consider at first opportunity to get a smaller coil. My favorite is the 4x6 Eclipse. It does make things easier on the ears. Great questions. Do your reasearch, read everything you can, people here are a great help. Practice, practice, practice. Let us know how you are doing. Good hunting.