PDA

View Full Version : Won't 5:00 ever get here...

Tony Two-Cent
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
... so I can go metal detecting:huh: :girlcry:

There are millions of old coins out there in the ground just waiting to be discovered! ARRRRGH! I can barely stand the thought of it! Oh, if I could only win the lottery so I could quit my job and go metal detecting all day long every day!

:daydream:

v3ikid
05-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm with you on that. If only it were a perfect world. lol I'm still debating on whether to go detecting or mowing the yard. :thinkingabout: The yard is not that big, and CAN be done another day.

Thanks for the advice. I believe detecting it is. :yes:

Tony Two-Cent
05-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Fortunately, I mowed my yard a couple of nights ago so I have that taken care of for a while. I just took my allergy medication in anticipation of being out there in the freshly mowed grass swinging my detector in 17 minutes.

Of course, being this anxious means I probably won't find squat tonight. lol

Tony Two-Cent
05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Well, I sure thought I had jinxed myself! I hunted for almost 3 hours after work tonight and had not found a single old coin, not even a wheat cent! I started out at an old grade school but crowds of people started showing up, I think it must have been graduation night.

So I drove on to the next small town and hunted at an old park where I had experienced moderate success before. After an hour and a half of hunting there I had still not found an old coin. Then just before it got dark I found two silver dimes within a foot of each other, a 1945 Mercury and a 1964 Roosevelt.

I think this is the first time I've hunted with my E-Trac where I didn't find a single wheat cent, but I'll take the two silvers!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Pile-1.jpg

angellionel
05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I would not complain about finding silver but no wheats. lol The wheat cents are fun to find, but silver is even better. :happydance01: Nice hit on those two. :yes:

Tony Two-Cent
05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I am definitely finding silver at a greater rate with this E-Trac than I have with any other machine I've owned in the past. I am very impressed with its ability to find silver in heavily hunted parks and school grounds.

When I recently got back into detecting after a 12 year absence from the hobby, I had a fear that all of the easily accessible places to detect would be totally hunted out. I am relieved to discover that isn't the case.

angellionel
05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I am definitely finding silver at a greater rate with this E-Trac than I have with any other machine I've owned in the past. I am very impressed with its ability to find silver in heavily hunted parks and school grounds.

When I recently got back into detecting after a 12 year absence from the hobby, I had a fear that all of the easily accessible places to detect would be totally hunted out. I am relieved to discover that isn't the case.

There is no doubt about it, there is still silver out there just waiting to be found. :yes:

v3ikid
05-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Looks like you are getting the hang of that etrac. I hunted a little fair grounds a few years ago in Bement not far from you. I know the guy that ran it at the time. I was using the MXT and only hunted it once for a few hours. I haven't talked to him in quite awhile, I'll have to get ahold of him again and see if he is still in charge and see about getting back up there. Those are some nice silver coins. Congrats on your finds. :clapping:

coinnut
05-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Great job sniffing out them silvers. I think everone shares your idea about detecting and not working lol If only rofl Work just seems to get in the way of hunting :dontknow: You are doing great with ET. :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Looks like you are getting the hang of that etrac. I hunted a little fair grounds a few years ago in Bement not far from you. I know the guy that ran it at the time. I was using the MXT and only hunted it once for a few hours. I haven't talked to him in quite awhile, I'll have to get ahold of him again and see if he is still in charge and see about getting back up there. Those are some nice silver coins. Congrats on your finds. :clapping:

Let me know if you ever decide to hunt in Bement, I live just 6 miles from there. Bement is a neat little town with a lot of history, I drive through it every day on my way to and from work. I briefly hunted the high school there with little success. The city park and the forest preserve park are next on my list there. I'm not sure where the fair grounds are but it sounds interesting.

leslie(nova scotia)
05-20-2011, 12:48 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....I'm with you me bouy especially iffen it means detecting all day in any kind of weather! <;)

v3ikid
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I read what you wrote about the fairgrounds in Bement and i was thinking :thinkingabout: I don't know of any fairgrounds in Bement either Then i went back and read what i wrote and sure enough I wrote Bement when i was thinking Cerro Gordo. 8/ lol I think i've been to both towns maybe two or three times in my life and if memory serves me correctly they are only a few miles apart and that must have been why i confused them because they don't sound anything alike.

The fairgrounds i'm refering to is in Cerro Gordo, it's where they have the Junior Fair. I don't know how long they have used it for that but the area i was digging in was grass over rock and it was hot and dry and the ground was hard. I'll have to do some checking on it and see if it's still ok to hunt it.

You just got to love the small towns like that, especially when they still have some of the older buildings left. They are starting to be a thing of the past.

Sorry about the confusion.

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2011, 03:31 PM
No problem, I get confused too, especially about areas I'm not all that familiar with.

Yes, Cerro Gordo is very close to Bement, just down the road a short ways. I have never hunted in Cerro Gordo but it is on my list of small towns to check out. I recall there is a grade school there with a big grass field behind it right in the middle of the old part of town. I don't recall seeing a park there but there might be one.

russellt
05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
i always tell myself that its 5 o;clock somewhere .. it may be in sumatra but hey ....... bottom line its 5 oclock somewhere

Tony Two-Cent
05-21-2011, 09:48 PM
My new E-Trac was delivered to me in late March of this year and I've been hunting with it for about a month and a half now. I am very impressed with this machine! Here are the keepers I have found with it so far:

4 - Indian Head Cents
68 - Wheat Cents
3 - Barber Dimes
11 - Mercury Dimes
5 - Silver Roosevelt Dimes
1 - Barber Quarter
1 - Silver Washington Quarter

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Keepers.jpg

del
05-21-2011, 09:51 PM
:perfect10: thats a very impressive start with your new e-trac Tony , i hope you continue with the silver success.

Dan

RobW
05-23-2011, 07:25 AM
I think this is the first time I've hunted with my E-Trac where I didn't find a single wheat cent, but I'll take the two silvers!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Pile-1.jpg

I know the E-Trac is like a Wheatie magnet! This is going to be my first full season (hopefully) with my E-Trac and the volume of wheaties I find is crazy! Good hunt you had :clapping: