PDA

View Full Version : NYC, Central Park Rally

Dick Stout
05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
If any of you live in the Northeast please visit my website and under Latest News, read the May 17 and May 19 entries. The folks in NYC need help, and numbers can make a big difference. Thanks for listening...

DS

www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)

Dick Stout
05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Disappointed that no one has even said a word about this rally. Isn't there anyone on this forum who lives in the Northeast? This rally could be a very big thing for the entire pastime.

li tom
05-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I live on LI and often hunt NYC parks.This is the first I've heard about this rally.I know that outfit that runs Central Park is rich,powerful and connected.They will be tough to beat with a small interest group such as Detectorists.A better chance of success would be to seek more access to other city parks.

Dick Stout
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
So you are saying forget it?

coinnut
05-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I live in the western part of MA and have never heard of it. :thinkingabout:

Dick Stout
05-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Heard of what? Damn this forum is frustrating. Let me try this again...

Club members from the New York area are trying to keep the parks open in New York. They are having trouble doing that and need boots on the ground. People. Bodies. Does anyone care?

Can anyone show up and help them? It's a Rally, you know, like a Peace Rally, only this time
it's to keep areas open in the city so that those who live there can enjoy the pastime just like YOU.

What does it take to get a spark going on these forums?

Dick Stout
05-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Okay, I give up.

coinnut
05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay, I give up.

I don't know what I said wrong :dontknow: I was mearly stating that I never heard of the group before you mentioned them. Sorry if that was wrong.

angellionel
05-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Abba, if this is how you go about seeking support for a cause then please do it somewhere else. I don't care for your attitude.

I have hunted in NYC myself with the use of a permit. The stipulation is that there are certain parks that are off limits, Central Park being one of them, but there are still many parks and other sites open to us. Is it right for the city to exclude certain public parks? No, I don't believe it is, but it is their prerogative, and perhaps based on the bad habits a few detectorist have demonstrated.

Yes, the metal detecting community can and should voice their concern and frustration at such limitations, but just because folks here, and perhaps at other forums, don't necessarily immediately jump at your announcement does not give you the right to be rude.

Epi-hunter
05-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Heard of what? Damn this forum is frustrating. Let me try this again...

Club members from the New York area are trying to keep the parks open in New York. They are having trouble doing that and need boots on the ground. People. Bodies. Does anyone care?

Can anyone show up and help them? It's a Rally, you know, like a Peace Rally, only this time
it's to keep areas open in the city so that those who live there can enjoy the pastime just like YOU.

What does it take to get a spark going on these forums?

No, not according to your website, it's not a 'rally'. It's a 'demonstration'. With people wearing signs stating their displeasure and digging in Central Park.

Why don't you just answer people's questions and replies with information instead of defensiveness and anger? Do you really think everyone should have heard of this, just because they live in the Northeast?

People can make their own decisions as to how to promote the hobby. They don't have to accept yours or anyone else's. No one is better than anyone else here. I personally don't like the 'demonstration' mechanism for effecting change, because I think that it is likely to backfire and end up hurting the hobby from having people viewed as 'troublemakers'.

And furthermore, I know there are lots (and lots and lots!) of parks out there that ARE legal to detect in, so perhaps we should just focus on those, as it has been proven over and over that silver is still there to be had! So much to do, so little time, let's make the best use of it. JMHO.

Dick Stout
05-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Rally, demontration, whatever. I am not into semantics. Guess I am from the old school when things like this meant something. You all have a good night. Will not bother you again with such trivial topics.

Tony Two-Cent
05-21-2011, 08:23 PM
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. :groovy:

li tom
05-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I can see this guy is going to really mess up whatever cause he is involved with this attitude!I mean he is actually P****** off the group whose cause he is supporting.I can imagine what he does to the opposition.

russellt
05-21-2011, 08:55 PM
:frozen: if you dont like the rules where you are then move .. there is land for sale along the mississippi river im sure ..