PDA

View Full Version : Was advised not to get a PI for Michigan hunting.....

itsaawgood
05-21-2011, 01:26 AM
So I'm in the market for a new waterproof machine and was set to get a PI machine, but after talking with a local dealer I was HIGHLY advised NOT to purchase any PI machine. Obviously this gentleman knows what he is talking about and said he has advised people in the past the same thing, yet they went ahead and purchased one of numberous different PI machines only to return shortly after the purchase and ask him to help them sell the detector for them. I guess the shores/waters of Lake Michigan are just saturated with metal junk and that makes it insanely difficult to us a PI machine. The common response is that the machines just drive you crazy...waaaaay to much garbage.

So...back to the drawing board. I own a Garrett AT Pro and really like it...but my goal was to be able to see deeper into the ground in the water.....thus thats why I was looking at a PI machine. He was alittle amazed that I have an AT Pro but was looking for more. He suggested if I really wanted to invest more money in another waterproof detector (and I got the feeling he felt the AT Pro was sufficient), that the Minelab Exalibur II with the 8 coil would be the way to go. The multi-freq. of the Excal would gain me an advantage over my AT Pro...yet stay way from the zero discrimination of a PI machine.

Any Lake Michigan or fresh water hunters out there that can chime in here?!? Am I jumping the gun here...should I give the AT Pro more benefit of the doubt or for SERIOUS water hunting should I really consider the Excal...?!? My focus this summer is going to be IN the waters of Lake Michigan and inland lakes.....I have my V3i for dry beach hunting when I so choose. The Detector Pro Headhunter Wader also looks interesting...but I've just never heard much about this brand.

coinnut
05-24-2011, 10:21 PM
So I'm in the market for a new waterproof machine and was set to get a PI machine, but after talking with a local dealer I was HIGHLY advised NOT to purchase any PI machine. Obviously this gentleman knows what he is talking about and said he has advised people in the past the same thing, yet they went ahead and purchased one of numberous different PI machines only to return shortly after the purchase and ask him to help them sell the detector for them. I guess the shores/waters of Lake Michigan are just saturated with metal junk and that makes it insanely difficult to us a PI machine. The common response is that the machines just drive you crazy...waaaaay to much garbage.

So...back to the drawing board. I own a Garrett AT Pro and really like it...but my goal was to be able to see deeper into the ground in the water.....thus thats why I was looking at a PI machine. He was alittle amazed that I have an AT Pro but was looking for more. He suggested if I really wanted to invest more money in another waterproof detector (and I got the feeling he felt the AT Pro was sufficient), that the Minelab Exalibur II with the 8 coil would be the way to go. The multi-freq. of the Excal would gain me an advantage over my AT Pro...yet stay way from the zero discrimination of a PI machine.

Any Lake Michigan or fresh water hunters out there that can chime in here?!? Am I jumping the gun here...should I give the AT Pro more benefit of the doubt or for SERIOUS water hunting should I really consider the Excal...?!? My focus this summer is going to be IN the waters of Lake Michigan and inland lakes.....I have my V3i for dry beach hunting when I so choose. The Detector Pro Headhunter Wader also looks interesting...but I've just never heard much about this brand.

I'm not a water hunter, but I agree on the PI decision. It will pick up every hairpin and rusty wire and can that has ever been dropped there :shocked04: No discrimination will drive you nuts and is counter productive, time wise. My gut feeling is to go with the AT Pro since it is comfortable for you. If you find you need more, you can always get an Excal II very quickly if a dealer has it in stock. But there may be a learning curve. So I would go with the AT pro, unless the finds just aren't showing up. Just my ideas on it.

Tom
01-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Not sure why you would not use your V3i, the coil is water proof! Lots of discrimination options if iron junk is a problem, just don't dunk the control box and you should be all set!

giant056
01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
I'll bet its Al who told you that, he basically talked me out of buying the TDI pro a long time ago because of that. From what I've read the little bit of discrimination that you can get from a pulse like the TDI you're not going to get much more depth than a VLF when you're trying to discriminate with the TDI. Pulse makes a fantastic relic machine though.

Lowjiber
01-25-2014, 12:27 PM
It's all about personal preference. I've done a lot of water/beach detecting on both coasts. The learning curve associated with a PI is VERY steep. However, they can be mastered. I like a machine that will send you to China to recover the back of a gold ear ring.

BTW: Hairpins and nails are the true enemy of beach hunters. However, with practice one can learn to "read" a hairpin. :)

Lake Hunter
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm an avid freshwater and saltwater hunter on the west coast, but mainly freshwater. I use a PI unit and love it. Yes, it took time to learn the PI, but we'll worth it. I use the PI in the deep sandy rivers and lakes in my area. The depth is amazing. And I have 5 different coils to choose from in my possession.

A PI isn't for everyone.....so do your research and make the best decision for yourself.

This is is just my personal opinion.