PDA

View Full Version : mercs + an absued copper

randy
05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Like many parts of the country, the rain has been brutal around here, but finally managed to get out for a nice hunt today.

Scored a pair of mercs, the first was on its side at 6 inches with a ferrous target in the hole happydance02 (ask me again why I love the E-Trac :smitten:), tough signal, figured it was 50/50 iron false, but I like those odds and I'm glad I dug it. The second was just plain deep.

Also scored a badly abused large cent. Can't get a date off of it, tho if you hold it at the right angle, you may see a 6. Trust me :angelic:

For all you E-Trac'ers, the copper was a 35-50 target, I've written about this before -- the threshold breaks and alerts you to the possibility of a conductive target, but pass after pass just shows 35-50 90% of the time, with a rare big silver number mixed in. All the books say this will be iron, but if it is small, and pinpoints center, I dig 'em. This is one of several 35-50 high conductive targets I've gotten using this system. This one was 8 inches from the plug cut, 10 inches from the coil due to a nasty clump of grass, almost on its side (15 degrees off straight vertical). Don't know why I wasn't getting a cleaner signal at 10 inches, but I still think there is something to the 35-50 being a catchall when the software can't figure it out. (Once its bust silver instead of an abused copper, I'll feel vindicated digging my 35-50 system lol). For now, I guess I'll wonder if there is something weird with my machine :crazy:

Also scored a couple of silvers the other day when I could work in a hunt between the rain. Hopefully the rain has passed where you live, and you can get out and score some. Thanks for looking and HH.

Tony Two-Cent
05-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I would take a Matron Head large cent any day! Wow, that's a great find! It still has very recognizable detail on both sides, even if the date is not apparent. Congrats on the very successful hunt!

angellionel
05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
You are piling them up still. lol Some nice hunts, Randy. thumbsup01 The rain has been brutal here too, but today was beautiful! I took advantage of course. :happydance01:

russellt
05-21-2011, 09:17 PM
it doesnt get much better than that ,,,, for sure :cheering:

MassDirtFisher
05-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Great finds! Any day you can get silver and a copper is a good day. Happy Hunting!!

aloldstuff
05-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Any LC is a great find. Congrats on the silver and the ability to wait out the rain

RobW
05-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Nice finds and thank you for the info on the 35-50 system. It's those bits of info that can really help a brother out thumbsup01

coinnut
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Nice score on the silver and of course on the copper :clapping: I'm in trouble with the 35-50 scenario, since I disc out all 50's lol So I will never know if it was good or bad :confused:

tanacat
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Scored a pair of mercs, the first was on its side at 6 inches with a ferrous target in the hole happydance02 (ask me again why I love the E-Trac :smitten:), tough signal, figured it was 50/50 iron false, but I like those odds and I'm glad I dug it. The second was just plain deep.

:clapping: Great job! That is impressive.... I've never tried an E-Trac, but want to! thumbsup01

Too bad on the copper date >:( but at least you can add it to your tally :envious:

mike l
05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
A no date copper is better than no copper lol. Very nice hunt :beerbuddy: