PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

BrunswickMd
05-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Hello all - I'm thinking about checking out this metal detecting pursuit. This site and the forum in particular have gotten me more interested - thanks to all of you for that. I get the feeling that this could be a cool hobby.

If I were to purchase a legitimate beginner detector and spend some time poking around my own little property, I could probably get an education. It's just a small lot in town but the house was built in 1910 so I know there is a ton of stuff (trash!!!) to look at. A good starting place.

Could anyone tell me what would be a legit, beginner, metal detector - new or used - that I should shoot for with a reasonable learning curve (learning how to balance and all that stuff?). I'm starting from scratch here but know it would be cool to experiment to see if I might want to pursue this.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Vito
05-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the forums from good ol' Germany.

As for the first purchase all I can say is, go with one of the major brands. So to speak from Detector Pro, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro and Whits.

And on what machine to look at is depending on what you'll need it for. Land hunting, beach hunting, coin shooting, relic hunting etc. And another criterion is your budget.

I know, this isn't helpful right at the moment, but I think you'll be steered in the right direction in this thread.

Good Huntin'

Vito

Epi-hunter
05-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi there and welcome,

This is definitely an addicting hobby and I am sure you will enjoy it once you get your feet wet. :yes:

One entry-level machine that I am personally familiar with is the ACE250 by Garrett (now they have a newer version called ACE350, with additional features; I posted awhile back listing those differences and also listing some of the features not generally available on the entry-level detectors).

I'm assuming from what you said that you are using the machine mainly for land detecting, so the main issue affecting your decision is budget. This can also relate to your interest level in the hobby, though. Many people (myself included) start with an entry-level machine and then end up upgrading in very short order because they find themselves extremely interested in the hobby and want a detector that will have more capability than an entry-level version.

If you want I can point you to some posts discussing this - just let me know. Other entry-level detectors to look at are the White's Prizm series and the Fisher F2. There is a good article on our home page written by Lowjiber, one of the moderators, HERE (http://www.americandetectorist.com/ace250_F2review.shtml) comparing the Fisher F2 to the ACE 250.

If you can, I would recommend buying a used mid-level machine rather than a new entry-level one. Depending on the machine, you will probably invest about $300-$400 doing that, which is not much more than you would invest in a new entry level machine.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forum :)

Bulldog
05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Howdy, and welcome from Washington State. :)

HH,
Bulldog

coinnut
05-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Welcome aboard from western, MA. I would recommend looking over some of the posts here and see what looks good to you. But visiting a local dealer for a demonstartion is probably the best thing you can do. There are a lot of entry level machines out there, but which one clicks with you is what is ultimately important. But, anyway you choose to do it, you will always get your money back by finding clad (modern money) combined with selling your unit when you upgrade. It is a no-lose hobby, and a heck of a lot of fun too lol Hope this helps you.

russellt
05-22-2011, 09:12 PM
to say this is a cool hobby is probably an understatement .. welcome to the forum... beware ..its staright up addictive

Jeff (or)
05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Welcome from Oregon, glad to have you here!! 8)

aloldstuff
05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I started out with a Whites Prizm IV. I have found some great items with this unit and never had a service problem at all. Just my thoughts. It is a turn on and go type detector.

BrunswickMd
05-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the quick responses - this is definitely a live forum.

Vito - wow all the way from Deutschland. I spent a year and half over near Osterholz Scharmbeck back in the mid 80s - an army hitch of course. I didn't get to see as much as I wanted but the peeps were very cool and the beer (why is this beer warm...lol) was great. Your response is very helpful- thank you. You are giving me some important starting points and some solid direction - brands to focus on - I had not figured that out yet. I'm thinking about what you said about where I will be starting out – I will be land bound I think and I am somewhat confused about coin shooting vs artifact hunting etc... and how that changes things.

Epi,
Thanks very much for your very thoughtful response - great advice that immediately makes sense. I will investigate the ACE250/350 angle and consider the idea of instead going with a secondhand - more capable unit. By all means please point me to some threads to streamline my reading when you have time. My budget to start is 3 or 4 hundred I think. I know I'll need to buy a good plug cutter/digger and probably other stuff.

Bulldog
Thank you for the hello from Washington State - howdy from Maryland.

Coinnut,
I dig that there is at least the potential to have the hobby pay for itself. Mostly tho I think I'm drawn to this because I had a cool experience when I was a kid where I accidentally dug into what must have been an old trash pit in the back yard of the house I grew up in (built 1890s suburban Washington DC) and found some old stuff. I remember a dog license tag from the 30's and an old brass bowl - both of which I'm certain had no value but the experience was cool.

Jeff (or)
Hello Oregon - cool how folks are from all over in here.

russellt
I don't know my brother - I may have enough enough addictions going without adding another one... but what the heck!

aloldstuff
I will definitly check out the Whites Prizm IV. Good info. Thank you.

del
05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
hello and welcome to the forum BrunswickMd , as you can see there's a great group on here and eager to help a noobie out . feel free to ask alot of questions as athers learn from them as well , i hope to see you out there finding some interesting old coins and relics soon .

Dan

RobW
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
One entry-level machine that I am personally familiar with is the ACE250 by Garrett (now they have a newer version called ACE350, with additional features; I posted awhile back listing those differences and also listing some of the features not generally available on the entry-level detectors).

Welcome from Western MA.

I agree with Epi......I just bought my father a 350 for Xmas as a great all around beginner detector :yes:

leslie(nova scotia)
05-27-2011, 06:09 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....hello from a token Canuck. Good luck with whatever machine you buy.....jsut be one with it. Ask and someone will give you an answer regarding this great hobby! <;)

jkress
05-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Welcome aboard. :clapping: We are glad to have you here with us.

My first machine was a Garrett Ace 250 and I was very impressed with it's abilities. I found lots of keepers.
I'd agree with Angie. Definitely look into the Ace 350 or the AT Pro if you can swing it.

It's just a small lot in town but the house was built in 1910 so I know there is a ton of stuff (trash!!!) to look at. A good starting place.

:drool: :drool: :drool: You have yourself an excellent place to start your quest. There is a silver and wheats just waiting for you to find.
Go get them!!